PDA

View Full Version : Modelling/Texturing Demoreel- Environment/Props

rockyj123
01-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi , I am studing Game Art & Design course at Vancouver Institute of Media Arts and will be graduating next week.
This is my demoreel consisting of environment/Props.

You can download my demoreel from www.rajeevj.com (http://www.rajeevj.com)

http://www.rajeevj.com/gallery/apache.jpg

http://www.rajeevj.com/gallery/tank.jpg

bendal
01-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Really nice stuff man. It's been a pleasure sitting beside you, looking at all your stuff and how far you've come along. Great Work indeed.

Air.Borne
01-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Very nice Rock ... man you have come a long way! The reel is nicely done. If I may make one suggestion:

Timing ... you ounly show a very brief glimpse of the last couple of pieces, as though you were struggling to fit them into your desired time constraint. Maybe ditch the reference photos and allow more time for your models.

Good luck with your graduation. I'm sure you will be successful!

shivesh
01-13-2006, 07:24 AM
hey rocky,

gud work dude, u have been gr8 inspiration all year and all the best for ur future.

shivesh
01-13-2006, 07:28 AM
hey rocky,

gud work dude, u have been gr8 inspiration whole year,

mohit
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
real nice work..worth many applauds...keep it up..though ucan slightly improve th presentation part of ur showreel..i.e.skipping th actual referrence images..and accomodating more of ur actual work,and some camera movements.in showing ur models..rest is fine..it's close to th pro game demo..grt effort..!!

txl
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I like your choice of tank to model from. I did notice a weird edge at the bottom of the turntable for the helicopter seq. I did like that you show your references to show that you are right on. Better to show it side by side. But what do I know since I'm new too at making reel:)

If you need to cut the length of the reel then you probably don't need the trailer bit in the beginning. Nice work over all!

Thuan
--

reeds
01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi, I like your models, and they really show the hard work you've put into them. I have some questions though, I thought game reel models should be kept in med and low poly format with lower resolution textures? And alot of companies want to know how long it takes to make something, but you didn't show any wire and polycount or time count for most of your models, so I was wondering will any of these things affect how your reel will be judged?

rockyj123
01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies...

yes i tried to fit in everything possible in under 2 mins, as i didnt want my reel to become boring...
I put the teaser at the start because i know a lot of studios just watch the reel for the first 15-30 seconds and thats it, thats what a lot of studio people have told me..

emba
01-13-2006, 05:23 PM
hi rocky

it looks great. i love the textures, it's a big improvement!
but i agree that you should think about presentation. check the titles, it's good not to have to many fonts, sizes or where it is aligned to.
good luck to you with finding a job.
petra

cholbrow
01-13-2006, 11:34 PM
The timing seem much improved since the last time I saw this. However, I agree with Air.Borne, I think you could cut a little out of your reff shots.

The last model needs more time, i think its the most interesting.

The building you did for freelance is kind of dull, even compared to the real thing. If you added some storefronts with colourful signs and maybe a tree or too it would vastly improve it.

Listen to Petra, There seem to be a hundred different types and sizes of text. I generally think that two is pushing it :P

I like the normally mapped objects in the doom engine

I'm a big fan of the music it seems to really fit the bill. (although you should know that a lot of people watch demo reels with the sound turned off:shrug:)

MattVogt
01-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi,
Great works! I too loved the doom 3 floating object and normal map thing.. reminds me of the halflife 2 days when you pick up objects - great idea! I agree with what Chris said - the last building looked amazing... for only a split second. Also when the camera pulls out from the apache (nice choice) the song's drums end abruptly right at 1:05 min. When you change the text take the word actual from the the tank ref.

Another thought - put your name in your reel file name. scanning through my downloads folder I'm thinking I don't know a windows or a quick.

keep at er' you're next reel will be even better

Matt

Matellis
01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
great job man! love the models and how you layed out your reel with the first person , keep up the good work and good luck on the job hunt:)

XingWei
01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
very nice work...... you shouldnt have any problem getting a job..... but i do suggest u darken up and desaturate the tank a bit...and also make larger texture for the chopper.

Ismail
01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Inspiring. :) Thanks for posting these. :)

Warhead82
01-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Rocky.

Very nice work here. Especially from "just" graduating. These 2 pieces of work are very nice. I don't have much to crit, just keep pumpin these out, you will not have a problem finding a job in vancouver, with skills like this. Now go apply!

This place might be good for you.

http://www.jarheadgames.com/jarhead.html

Justin.

rockyj123
01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
thnx everyone for thier feedback.I am trying to improve the presentation a bit, since i have some time before the industrial night.

justin:thanks for the link to that studio.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.