PDA

View Full Version : AfterEffects Constantly Processing

tk421storm
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello all - I recently noticed a slowdown in my copy of AfterEffects, and have noticed that upon opening AfterEffects it uses 100% of my CPU all the time, no matter what I'm doing with it. Even while minimized it will run at 100% for 2-3 minutes before eventually stopping. What on earth could cause this? I'm not making difficult scenes with lots of rendering; even CapsLock doesn't stop the processing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that hasn't helped. Please let me know what you think.

Aneks
01-13-2006, 12:19 AM
if you are on mac try the 6.5.1 update it may help !

JohnnyRandom
01-13-2006, 05:05 AM
On a pc but I've run into it as well though it runs at 50% (assuming besause it HT'ing) or it probably would hog the whole CPU dunno whats up ??? Doesn't happen on my workstation just my laptop...

I tend to attribute this odd behaviour to solar flares:P

IanMJ
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah,

I have the same problem on a PC Laptop even with the 6.5.1 update.

You'll probably find that if you open up a dialog box (composition settings or something else) the processor wil drop to 0%.

Hello all - I recently noticed a slowdown in my copy of AfterEffects, and have noticed that upon opening AfterEffects it uses 100% of my CPU all the time, no matter what I'm doing with it. Even while minimized it will run at 100% for 2-3 minutes before eventually stopping. What on earth could cause this? I'm not making difficult scenes with lots of rendering; even CapsLock doesn't stop the processing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that hasn't helped. Please let me know what you think.

andrewjohn81
02-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, this is a real pain.

The stupid program keeps on taking 25 percent of my processor even when it's not in use. I'll be checking my email or something so AE isn't even active. It's 25 percent because I have two processors and HT running. So it's 100% of one process.

Mylenium
02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah, this is a real pain.

The stupid program keeps on taking 25 percent of my processor even when it's not in use. I'll be checking my email or something so AE isn't even active. It's 25 percent because I have two processors and HT running. So it's 100% of one process.

I have no idea what you are all talking about. I've never experienced any of the phenomenons you describe and there is no such thing as a confirmed bug that would explain the behaviors. Have you tried checking for other potential problems such as graphics card settings and virtual memory? Also try to move out all unnecessary plugins out of the AE folder and then see how it behaves. Especially the Windows Media plugin is prone to unnecessarily initializing a lot of DLLs if it doesn't find the right versions of the Windows Media Components (i.e. different version numbers from different installs).

Mylenium

andrewjohn81
02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I would call that an AE bug, since they are the ones supplying it With their program. Adobe should troubleshoot that sort of thing.

I understand that it is my responsibility to test plugins if I was the one that chose to install them from a 3rd party vendor, but if they are supplied by the vendor and included as a "feature" then they should be responsible for testing it and supplying documentation on problems in the help files.

They can't just expect Everyone to know how to troubleshoot these issues when it isn't on the ideal system created specifically for that piece of software. I don't know that many people that have enough cash do go making a seperate system for every piece of software they use. It's hard enough to make 3D apps and 2D apps play nice together.

Mylenium
02-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I would call that an AE bug, since they are the ones supplying it With their program. Adobe should troubleshoot that sort of thing.

Nope, it is not a bug. A bug is a replicable malfunction or misfunction of a program based on an internal error when executing binary code - this mystery is no such thing. People have been propagating this urban myth about AE misbehaving forever, but whenever you ask them, they cannot replicate the supposedly erratic behavior and point a finger to a potential reason. I've never had any such problems, so I'm just shaking my head in doubt that there is any truth to such claims.

Needless to say that Adobe themselves cannot replicate the problem and thus consider it a non-issue. Unless someone comes up with a more constructive way of illustrating the problem, I guess from their POV it's just pointless hunting for phantoms and not worth the effort. I'm more then tempted to take their side. You cannot really blame them for screwy drivers and general configuration problems, can you?

In that light, the only thing that would help would be generously handing over your machine to the dev team and let them analyze it, even if it means stripping it down bit by bit. ;o)

Sorry, I know this all doesn't help, but it shows how pointless it is to even think about this topic. Well, I better "shaddap".

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 05:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.