PDA

View Full Version : Alias lays off 400 Employees...

nuclearfessel
01-12-2006, 10:27 PM
We all knew it would happen...

Alias Systems Inc., the Toronto software company bought by Autodesk Inc. for $182-million in October, will lay off up to 400 people worldwide today, sources told the Financial Post.The high-end graphics software maker, best known for its work on such movies as Jurassic Park, is going to lay off predominately sales and support staff at its headquarters.

Wholesale cuts are expected at international offices in China, Germany, Japan and elsewhere.

[link (http://working.canada.com/toronto/news/story.html?s_id=p1RV43Tlo%2bAa3T309NnQ5qOSzqv6dDF2dCE0rkwAhRmFQyil%2f%2banTQ%3d%3d)]

Kabab
01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
That was to be expected there is no point in doubling up on sales/admin/marketing staff..

madheavy
01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I hope no one was surprised by this. Sadly, anytime companies merger or whatever there are always 'inevitable' layoffs! Feh! Just an excuse to cut heads and keep profits higher!

Soon I'm afraid that the DEV team for Maya and MAX will be one and the same, of course after a few 'inevitable' layoffs.

Canadianboy
01-12-2006, 10:36 PM
the beginning of the end.......

enygma
01-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I hope no one was surprised by this. Sadly, anytime companies merger or whatever there are always 'inevitable' layoffs! Feh! Just an excuse to cut heads and keep profits higher!
Well yah... if I have a team of thousands in sales staff, as many or more in support staff, why would I need to look at taking on another 400 people in sales and support. I don't know salaries in those positions, but using an average of $65k a year in salaries, this additional staff, that wouldn't really be necessary, would cost about $26,000,000 per year in salaries alone. I don't know about you, but I don't see that I would need to spend $26million a year on staff that will just be redundant.

shingo
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
It's predictable but 400 is a big blow.

Softimage have gone through a similar thing after Avid took them over.

pgp_protector
01-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Well yah... if I have a team of thousands in sales staff, as many or more in support staff, why would I need to look at taking on another 400 people in sales and support. I don't know salaries in those positions, but using an average of $65k a year in salaries, this additional staff, that wouldn't really be necessary, would cost about $26,000,000 per year in salaries alone. I don't know about you, but I don't see that I would need to spend $26million a year on staff that will just be redundant.

The thing is accordign to the OP, they only had an employ base of 800, that is 1/2 laid off now. Now maby they did have 1/2 of all there people working sales & support, but that sounds like a lot of sales / support people .

RockinAkin
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I wish the best of luck to all of those 400... its very unfortunate.

noisewar
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
What's with these conspiracy theories. It seems obvious to me that after a merger, excess manpower needs to be gotten rid of, esp. if sales and marketing already exists in the parent company. It IS about profitability, cuz I don't see software prices going up.

erilaz
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Ouch! :sad: It's always sad when people are cut from their jobs. It's business, but it sucks.

arctor
01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
ouch...

one thing though...I agree that it makes sence to get rid of duplicate positions...but the guy "supporting" Maya is someone who can "support" Maya...are Maya users now going to be calling up for support and getting a 3ds max expert on the line?

Kabab
01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
ouch...

one thing though...I agree that it makes sence to get rid of duplicate positions...but the guy "supporting" Maya is someone who can "support" Maya...are Maya users now going to be calling up for support and getting a 3ds max expert on the line?
It was probably a lot of the support administration staff/management... They won't be culling people with technical knowledge, or the really good sales people.

arctor
01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a friend who works there...I'll try to find out more...

chrisWhite
01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Damn, didn't think they'd start laying off people this soon.

Best of luck to all the Alias people laid off.

ndat
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Awww... Well that sucks, I hate bussiness.

Yeah best of luck to all those guys. On the bright side because they were laid off they get unemployment until they find a new job right?

nuclearfessel
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Awww... Well that sucks, I hate bussiness.

Yeah best of luck to all those guys. On the bright side because they were laid off they get unemployment until they find a new job right?

is there unemployment in Canada?

nuclearfessel
01-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I have a friend who works there...I'll try to find out more...

please do... as much as this bites, it pains me to think of the future of Alias, even if the R&D staff hasn't been laid... according to the article, 400 is basically half of Alias' workforce

Leonard
01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I just checked with Autodesk on this as part of my in-depth coverage on the acquisition that I will be publishing next week. Autodesk has responded that this article is far off on many facts and the journalist did not contact Autodesk to check or verify his information.

Factual inaccuracies in the article:
- "Alias employs 500 people at its Toronto office" - Actual number is 350
- "a total of 800 worldwide" - Actual number is 600 (fact sheet (http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/Autodesk_Alias_Fact_Sheet_-FINAL_Jan_9.pdf))
- "Alias's top seven executives are expected to leave the company as part of the integration process with California-based Autodesk." - Numerous key execs such as Dave Wharry and Michel Besner are going to stay with Autodesk. Doug Walker said he was leaving when the acquisition was announced three months ago.

For sensitivity reasons, Autodesk cannot divulge the number or names of people who are leaving, but it has been confirmed that the "400" number quoted from this article is "grossly inaccurate", given that Alias' worldwide staff consists of 600, 350 of those are in Toronto.

Other inaccuracies spotted: "bought by Autodesk Inc. for $182-million" - the final purchase price was $197 million.

This article smells like bullshit.
It's causing unnecessary hysteria amongst Alias staff about their jobs.
This journalist needs to take some lessons in "Fact checking 101".

Leo

chrisWhite
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Good to hear Leo, glad it may not be as bad as it sounded.

nuclearfessel
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
I just checked with Autodesk on this as part of my in-depth coverage on the acquisition that I will be publishing next week. Autodesk has responded that this article is far off on many facts and the journalist did not contact Autodesk to check or verify his information.

- "a total of 800 worldwide" - Actual number is 600 (fact sheet (http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/Autodesk_Alias_Fact_Sheet_-FINAL_Jan_9.pdf))
- "Alias's top seven executives are expected to leave the company as part of the integration process with California-based Autodesk." - Numerous key execs such as Dave Wharry and Michel Besner are going to stay with Autodesk. Doug Walker said he was leaving when the acquisition was announced three months ago.

For sensitivity reasons, Autodesk cannot divulge the number or names of people who are leaving, but it has been confirmed that the "400" number quoted from this article is "grossly inaccurate", given that Alias' worldwide staff consists of 600, 350 of those are in Toronto.

Other inaccuracies spotted: "bought by Autodesk Inc. for $182-million" - the final purchase price was $197 million.

Leo

thanks for the headsup and the corrections, Leo... most articles tend to be skewed in their stats...

PhilOsirus
01-13-2006, 12:30 AM
With all the aquisitions, I wonder where Canada stands now as far as being a leader in the creation of 3D apps?:/

marcher3d
01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I just heard that a lot of sales, support and marketing, mostly the people who interact with the customers were fired, 400 people..... So basically everybody who was not a programmer and helped customers is gone, basically now if you are paying maitenance you will now get a max expert trying to solve your maya problems. is this maitenance money theft or what??

apoc519
01-13-2006, 12:54 AM
With all the aquisitions, I wonder where Canada stands now as far as being a leader in the creation of 3D apps?:/

Autodesk is a Canadian company is it not? I always thought autocad came out of Montreal

erilaz
01-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the update Leo!

the_zed_axis
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
thanks for clearing that up leo :)

raffael3d
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
thanks for the headsup and the corrections, Leo... most articles tend to be skewed in their stats...

but it still confirms that a lof of people were laid off, right? if it says inaccurate mabye it's 300 and they say 400 is inaccurate? any take on the full numbers?

noisewar
01-13-2006, 01:05 AM

most articles tend to be skewed in their stats conveniently in the direction that generates the most buzz.

alona
01-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Autodesk is a Canadian company is it not?

Nope. It's based in San Rafael, CA. (That's California CA, not Canada CA).

And, best of luck to all those laid off.

AA

mummey
01-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Thank you Leonard. I had just talked to a friend at Alias. Those numbers do seem very inaccurate by the impression I was given.

Leonard
01-13-2006, 01:20 AM
but it still confirms that a lof of people were laid off, right? if it says inaccurate mabye it's 300 and they say 400 is inaccurate? any take on the full numbers?

Autodesk is keeping the actual numbers a close secret to be sensitive to the staff.
Putting my analyst hat on, and having spoken to Autodesk at length, it would be utterly foolish of them to lay many people off, or lay off key staff that constitute of the main Alias business. I cannot fathom them laying off any huge number of staff in the immediate term.

They would obviously remove redundant staff in areas where there are obvious overlap. But I cannot see or speculate that they would remove key strategic business areas such as development, support, etc. For Autodesk to be successful in this acquisition, it MUST maintain the current customer base, and ensure that they continue to be serviced, and the products improved. It makes no business sense for Autodesk to destroy Alias by removing large amounts of its talent pool. You buy a company to make money. In any business, the people are the most valuable asset.

Again, I do not know the actual numbers of staff being made redundant. I'm merely speaking my mind, having spoken at length to Autodesk, understanding where they're at, and what they must do to not cock up the acquisition.

My 2 cents.

Leo

mummey
01-13-2006, 01:32 AM
I just heard that a lot of sales, support and marketing, mostly the people who interact with the customers were fired, 400 people..... So basically everybody who was not a programmer and helped customers is gone, basically now if you are paying maitenance you will now get a max expert trying to solve your maya problems. is this maitenance money theft or what??

Hey marcher3d, I noticed this was your first post. Welcome to CGTalk! :thumbsup:

Scott212
01-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Business is business ya know... But it pisses me off that this Accel-KKR bought Alias for $57.5 million and then turns around and sells it to the corporate conglomerate for $197 million. They either got really lucky or knew it was coming. Either way, they got their big pay day and they probably will never look back. The Toronto Teachers Pension Fund is fat and so is the investors wallets. Meanwhile, the hardworking people that provide us our tools (arguably the best boxed tools on the planet), lose their jobs. Greed can be such an incredibly demoralizing thing.

Schwinnz
01-13-2006, 02:34 AM
. . . . . . . . . .
(remove post okay?)

rakmaya
01-13-2006, 03:13 AM
The thing is accordign to the OP, they only had an employ base of 800, that is 1/2 laid off now. Now maby they did have 1/2 of all there people working sales & support, but that sounds like a lot of sales / support people .

Unfortunately that is true. Most of the time the engineering team will not be event 1/4th of that number. I estimate that out of all the 800+, there might be 200+/-50 in engineering and internal support. These layoffs will most likely involves employees from a lot of other fields which won't be necessary. Administration section in terms of technical facilities alone will have more than 40 people in support. These are the people who gets to go when companies like Autodesk and Alias comes together.

Kabab
01-13-2006, 03:46 AM
There is no way they are going to drop technical staff when you have products that are so complex.. Its going to be the sales/marketing/management people which go.

billcunningham
01-13-2006, 04:25 AM
It sounds like several people posting haven't really had much experience with corporate terminology... "support", in the context of the phrase "sales and support", does not refer to the tech support people you as a customer contact when you are having trouble with the product.

It means "administrative support", admin assistants, office managers, sales directors, mid level managers, mail-room staff, payroll officers, accountants... the people necessary to conduct the sales business of the company.

When two companies merge, the purchaser has just as many of these (probably more) than the purchased, and there really is no sane business reason for keeping two redundant sets of admin support staff.

It has nothing to do with the technicians.

PhilOsirus
01-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Nope. It's based in San Rafael, CA. (That's California CA, not Canada CA).

And, best of luck to all those laid off.

AA

Right, it was Discreet that was a Canadian, Montreal-based company as far as I know. But it still sucks to some extent, to know that year after year Canadian companies in this field are bought by foreign ones. Then again I believe to some extent that this is how Canada works with the US, we make new products, they buy the makers of said products, we make a new one, repeat. Hopefully it is not shrinking this aspect of the CG industry this side of the border.

Kabab
01-13-2006, 04:48 AM
From what i understand is that Candia gives a lot of tax breaks for software development type stuff being one of the main reasons Alias's head office was there...

poly-phobic
01-13-2006, 05:06 AM
But it still sucks to some extent, to know that year after year Canadian companies in this field are bought by foreign ones. Then again I believe to some extent that this is how Canada works with the US, we make new products, they buy the makers of said products, we make a new one, repeat. [/QUOTE ]

[QUOTE=Phil "Osirus"] I wonder where Canada stands now as far as being a leader in the creation of 3D apps?:/

yea.. all new great new products canada makes and we buy them from them... you forgot to give an example.
and i assume this is based on your scientific research as well

yea. Canada was in fact a leader in crating 3d apps.

:wise:

back to the topic. ...

ThE_JacO
01-13-2006, 06:33 AM
ouch...

even if "support" meant "technical support helpdesk" (which it usually doesn't), how many times did you call Alias (or discreet for that matter) helpdesk and got somebody who was actually an "expert" on the line?

<rant >
the only times I heard anything remotely sensible squeezed out of their support was when reports and bug sensitivity escalated high enough to grant communication with the dev team.
Support help desks and QA departments are seldomly, if never, populated by anything other then lowbies and kids fresh out of school, or people who've been sitting their arse on the same chair for way too long without having a clue of what goes on in production.
</rant >

even if they fired both supports (sales and technical), you'd probably end up with a better off product anyway if the saved money went into special projects and dev work.

arctor
01-13-2006, 08:25 AM
yea. Canada was in fact a leader in crating 3d apps.

:wise:

back to the topic. ...

Alias, Wavefront, Softimage, Discreet, Side Effects...

ackees
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

DSedov
01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Alias, Wavefront, Softimage, Discreet, Side Effects...

If Im not mistaken Wavefront was a California company, located in Santa Barbara

BabeBro
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Softimage is hiring ;) http://www.softimage.com/Corporate/Careers/Jobs/sijobs.htm

fr3drik
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Leo

Indeed. This was posted by Shai Hinitz, Alias/Autodesk employee, on the Highend3D Maya discussion list:

Unfortunately, that article is full of mistakes. The only truth is that
Doug Walker indeed said he is leaving. Every other detail in that article
is either completely wrong, or misleading. Shame on the writer for such poor
research and lack of professionalism.

I assure you were are here, strong and proud as ever, and our new management
has made it clear that the significant investment made in Alias reflects
their commitment to you (our customers), our products and our industries.

The future looks exciting.

Shai

janimatic
01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Softimage is hiring ;) http://www.softimage.com/Corporate/...Jobs/sijobs.htm (http://www.softimage.com/Corporate/Careers/Jobs/sijobs.htm)

Indeed i hope softimage will employ this talented people (too bad alias don't give their dynamics gurus to softimage!)
Best of luck and happy new year to them anyway!

MattClary
01-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Right, it was Discreet that was a Canadian, Montreal-based company as far as I know. But it still sucks to some extent, to know that year after year Canadian companies in this field are bought by foreign ones. Then again I believe to some extent that this is how Canada works with the US, we make new products, they buy the makers of said products, we make a new one, repeat. Hopefully it is not shrinking this aspect of the CG industry this side of the border.

Novell, Corel, the company I work for... All American companies bought by Canadians. Then the product declines... ;)

shingo
01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I will be curious to see what becomes fo Alias' Toronto head offices. Wil they operation be moved to Montreal Autodeks HQ (to save costs) or be maintained? If so, this will most certainly affect the developers who don't want to make the move.

hanskloss
01-13-2006, 07:26 PM
The article is the biggest load of crap on this side of the Atlantic. Alias employs close to 650 people so how could they lay off 400 of them. The Toronto office stays so no worries. Obviously HR, sales and MKT will be trimmed. Anyone who believes the 400 number should get their heads examined. Yet another bizzare speculation. The fun continues.

arctor
01-13-2006, 07:34 PM
If Im not mistaken Wavefront was a California company, located in Santa Barbara
woops...you're right....typing and thinking at the same time isn't easy :)

mummey
01-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Ah, finally someone from A***s responds. ;)

Hamburger
01-13-2006, 10:49 PM
400 people were not layed off.

FACTS:

The 400 number is inaccurate. The actual number is not publicly divulged

Redundancies are a sensitive topic, and to respect those affected, we do not release names or number of staff affected.

This was not a merger, it was an acquisition. Autodesk, Inc. acquired Alias, Inc.

http://www.highend3d.com/news/studios/77.html

Kanga
01-14-2006, 03:36 AM
We all knew it would happen...

Alias Systems Inc., the Toronto software company bought by Autodesk Inc. for $182-million in October, will lay off up to 400 people worldwide today,
[link (http://working.canada.com/toronto/news/story.html?s_id=p1RV43Tlo%2bAa3T309NnQ5qOSzqv6dDF2dCE0rkwAhRmFQyil%2f%2banTQ%3d%3d)]

Cut off the roots for the sake of the tree,..... eeek back to the 90's.

opus13
01-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Cut off the roots for the sake of the tree,..... eeek back to the 90's.

soo.. you just happened to miss the last 2 pages of this thread debunking this claim?

living3d
01-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, it was expected ( after the aquisition of Discreet ) but noone knew that it will happen so fast. It is all about business...The "fire" and "water" are now together. This reminds me football buisness when money makes all. The "big club" bought out all telented "players"...sadly but obvious

cgtalkiest
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
the beginning of the end.......

i prefer to see it as the begining of the begining.

UrbanFuturistic
01-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Can someone please edit the title of this thread and insert something like unsubstantiated or speculation, and undeline it, and make it flashy.

400 people were not laid off, the article is unsubstantiated and proven false.

Just because enough people seem incapable of reading the whole thread before replying. :banghead:

regards, Paul

Kanga
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
So was it 10,.... was it 50 or was it 399? Lucky it wasn't you then isn't it.

I realise companies have to make a turnover I'm not that naive, however you are told it is a pooling of rescources, when people are laid off that makes it elimination of competition.

I come from a generation that believes competition is healthy and keeps the market sharp. My generation is still able to read normal size text that isn't yellow.

I am a 3dmax user and have been for some years but I don't like this takeover. Doesn't matter how many posts I have read.

Stick that in your pipe.:twisted:
and smoke it.

UrbanFuturistic
01-14-2006, 05:17 PM
As has already been said in this thread a number of times that 400 is a gross exaggeration.

Yes, mergers, acquisitions and redundancies suck and this is probably something that will have a negative impact on the industry, but exactly what purpose is served by spreading exaggerated rumours, lies and speculation?

i'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is about this subject that compels so many people to throw their objectivity out the window and rant blindly without bothering to check the facts.

regards, Paul

Kanga
01-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Fiction: 400 people lost their jobs.

Fiction: this is a gross exageration (where are your facts?)

Fact: Max has taken Maya over.

Fact: competition is good for the market place.

This is the reason poeple are reacting the way they are, not only that but gaining an understanding of ANY software is hard work. I've been on Max for 2 measily years but can't tell you how far I have to go and how many hours I've put in already. If Max had been taken over (that's what it is) I would feel uneasy myself.

Comprendo!

UrbanFuturistic
01-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Fact: Max has taken Maya over.

Fact: competition is good for the market place.1) Please read all of my above post as I already said it will probably have a negative impact on the industry. Please try to pay attention. 2) Autodesk has taken over Alias which is a lot bigger than just Max and Maya.Fiction: 400 people lost their jobs.

Fiction: this is a gross exageration (where are your facts?)You mean apart from Leonard's direct communication with Autodesk? You did read those entries didn't you? Oh, what, are the eeeevil Autodesk and collaborator Leonard not to be trusted while a paper that didn't even bother to phone up and ask instead of printing rumours is?

As for the last paragraph, this is the other reason why I said "I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is about this subject that compels so many people to throw their objectivity out the window and rant blindly without bothering to check the facts.". At what point is it assured that Autodesk is going to kill off Maya? Are they some bizarre idological cult that kills off software that is 'not of the Autodesk'? No, they are a profit making corporation with shareholders and so long as people continue to buy Maya and so long as it continues to make a sufficient profit it will continue to be developed.

Yes, it sucks that some people have lost their jobs but it is by no means half the staff and it is not significant of a reduction in support for Maya. They have not got rid of all the techinical staff, they are not stopping production of Maya in the near future so long as there's a chance it can be profitable and I wish people would stop being so bloody moronic about the whole situation.

Comprende?

Kanga
01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
They have not got rid of all the techinical staff, they are not stopping production of Maya in the near future so long as there's a chance it can be profitable and I wish people would stop being so bloody moronic about the whole situation.

Comprende?

I understand your point but the way you make it irritates me enormously.

Thats what I comprehend.

Vladius
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
C'mon, guys ... I know what those layed off will do... After being disappointed with commercial software production they will switch to the opensource Blender development - this is obvious. After that, Blender will become even more powerfull than 3D Studio Maya and everybody will be happy to use free software =)

P.S. Autodesk will become a bankrupt and it's employees will leave for Blender's development aswell.

THE END

UrbanFuturistic
01-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Well, I have tried to make my point politely, as have others, numerous times. My patience is a tad thin on this one.

regards, Paul

mummey
01-14-2006, 09:46 PM
This thread needs...

http://dat.jeroenstout.net/girlswithselery.jpg

FloydBishop
01-15-2006, 01:17 AM
If you're the one holding the pink slip, it doesn't matter what the real number of laid off employees is.

Best of luck to everyone who's now looking for their next gig, and thanks for your work with Maya over the years.

:beer:

eek
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Id get you facts double checked next time - and dont always believe in newspapers!

http://highend3d.com/news/studios/77.html

eek

halo
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
FACTS:
The 400 number is inaccurate. The actual number is not publicly divulged

so it could be more, it could be less, it could be 399 or 300 or 12...

Redundancies are a sensitive topic, and to respect those affected, we do not release names or number of staff affected.

Except when we do so below!

This was not a merger, it was an acquisition. Autodesk, Inc. acquired Alias, Inc.

FACT inaccuracies:

400 layoffs (not accurate)*Autodesk does not release total numbers.
Referenced the purchase at $182M (inaccurate).
In Autodesk Press Release announcement, made public on Tuesday 10. January 2006 at 5:20pm Eastern time, the actual purchase price was disclosed as $197M.
Alias top seven executives are expected to leave the company o As stated in our closing press release, executives from Alias, Dave Wharry and Michel Besner will stay on with Autodesk. But we dont divulge names
o There will be redundancies in North America for both Alias and Autodesk*redundancies from both companies. There just wont be exactly 400
Article states that Alias employs 500 in Toronto office (inaccurate)*actual number is: ~350
Article states that Alias employs 800 worldwide (inaccurate)*actual number is 600

so if the numbers are 25% out could it be 300 rather than 400?... not telling, thats why the story couldnt be checked

Article states Alias sold itself to SGI in 2002. Alias has been owned by SGI since 1995

So thats all clear then...it was inaccurate, but no-one is saying by how much...which kind of begs the question if you going to all the effort to rubbish and correct a story surely the main point of the story should be the one which is getting the most clarification. :hmm: One thing's for certain though....exactly 400 employees aren't being made redundant. Great rumour control there.

mummey
01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Why is this thread even still alive?

Neil
01-17-2006, 07:42 PM
The tread really did long serve it's purpose. The news was reported, it was shown to be non-legit and now it's just personal attacks. Probably could be closed.

Kanga
01-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Why is this thread even still alive?

Ah my friend,......
The secret ingredient be CELERY :scream:

Saurus
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Novell, Corel, the company I work for... All American companies bought by Canadians. Then the product declines... ;)
I'm sure Corel IS a Canadian company right from the beginning. A company created by Michael Cowpland, a Canadian from Ottawa Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CorelDraw

mummey
01-19-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm sure Corel IS a Canadian company right from the beginning. A company created by Michael Cowpland, a Canadian from Ottawa Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CorelDraw

What part of: "Quit keeping this #$%# thread alive" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!?

eek
01-19-2006, 04:52 AM
chill!

eek

mummey
01-19-2006, 05:37 AM
chill!

eek

It bugs me that some people will as a result read the original article, not read the comments efterward, and think 400 Alias employees were laid off.

Then again, if they were naive enough to believe it, maybe they deserve it. :shrug:

halo
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
it seems a shame that the accuracy of the story that is at fault not its general substance...autodesk haven't denied there are going to be layoffs, its just they have said it isn't 400, and wont comment on how many there actually are. Bad journalism in both camps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.