PDA

View Full Version : How to make depth in a image?

stavrevstefan
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I have 2d image with no depth info.How to make it to have depth so i can apply after effects 3d channel "depth of field" or other 3d effect..?

I am newbie in After effects so take it easy...By the way Pleaseeeeeee help

Mylenium
01-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I have 2d image with no depth info.How to make it to have depth so i can apply after effects 3d channel "depth of field" or other 3d effect..?

I am newbie in After effects so take it easy...By the way Pleaseeeeeee help

You don't. Those effects only work with RLA/ RPF/ IFF files with "true" depth. You can create a greyscale mask for use with e.g. the compound blur any way you like.

Mylenium

ehoch
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
I think this is a huge flaw for After Effects. Judging from Photoshop's support for external depth maps and focal blur, I certainly hope the next version of After Effects will be better at Depth of Field. I hope.

If you are creating CGI from a 3D package you can include depth information in an RLA file. The worst part about it is that you can only use the Depth of Field effect to blur the RGB pixels in the RLA file that holds the depth info. There is absolutely no way to transfer depth information from one file to another for use with that effect.

To compensate, I have been meticulous in my 3D package to create invisible no-alpha surfaces to catch depth information to fudge things a bit when I need to. It's a sub-optimal way of working. But to honest, After Effects is a sub-optimal way of working with CGI. Very good at many other things, though.

stavrevstefan
01-12-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks again you guys

Vympel
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
some exist softwares and plugins that they can create a fake map of depth of a normal video, making possible the use of depht of field
one example
http://www.fxguide.com/article292.html

jussing
01-13-2006, 08:45 AM
You don't need special formats, you can import a seperate depth pass and use that as depth info in the Compound Blur filter, or use it as a mask in your own depth composite.

Not as good as having the seperate objects in seperate layers, though.

Cheers,
- jonas

scrimski
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Never ever dare to forget the mighty mighty Google (http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=after+effects+Depth+of+Field&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=) of doom.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.