PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #1: Fruit Bowl

Pages : 1 [2]

floze
01-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Holy crap floze, that is FANTASTIC
Thanks dude, glad you like it. :)

edit: Yeah, the leaf was worrying me.. maybe it doesnt have actual thickness, I'll check that.

ThomasMahler
01-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Very inspiring guys, keep it going! :)

lazzhar
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow Floze you did a very nice job.

Wondering how it long it tooke to render?

floze
01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Wow Floze you did a very nice job.

Wondering how it long it tooke to render?
Thanks lazzhar. It took about 5h, but mainly because of the expensive indirect illumination, which was photonmapping + finalgathering. Without it, it's a piece of cake, thanks to Jeremy Pronk's IBL Tools. Basically the IBL Tool's spherical light I'm using acts as a bunch of directional lights - pretty cheap to render. I could post one without the indirect light, but it destroys the mood imo.

A breakdown of the rendering process:
0:32:14.39 for computing finalgather points, using precomputed photon lookup of a 300k photonmap,
5:09:13.07 for rendering. The sss lightmap took probably as long as the finalgathering stage. Original resolution was 1k square, rendered on an AMD2600+/1GB RAM.

MasterZap
01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Here's my humble contribution, created in my precious spare time with love in every pixel ;) :

Floze; fantastic!

However I think I see one pixel in the lower right corner that is missing love. It contains only "truth" and "beauty" but the "love" is missing.

Ah, just kidding. ;) Swedish humor... sorry.

/Z

swag
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
yehhh floze this rock very nice mood in there where u used the gg_fakefur shader

floze
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
yehhh floze this rock very nice mood in there where u used the gg_fakefur shader
Hmm, I used it on the bananas, the askdan* and the grapes. Only for a bit specularity and least little bit diffuse contribution though. And of course on the fabric.

Master Zap: I want the exact position (x, y, in raster space) of this pixel!! ;)

*whatever fruit this might be, I assumed it's something plum-like

jeremybirn
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. First off let me thank the initiators of this challenge, all contributors and all supporters. It's places like this that guide my (sometimes mislead) energies into the hopefully right directions. Here's my humble contribution, created in my precious spare time with love in every pixel ;) :

http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_floze.jpg
mentalray for Maya 6.5 / Adobe Photoshop
First practical use of my own created EI03 and hls mr shaders.
Special thanks to Gonzalo Garramuņo for gg_fakefur.
Very special thanks to Jeremy Pronk for creating IBL Tools (http://www.thereisnoluck.com/index.php).
Last but not least thank you Zap for the wonderful sss shader!

Thanks for watching! I'm looking forward to your advices.

Sorry I fell behind on feedback, but that's really great!

Ravix
01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
hi , anyone know how to post ur image link to this page , so i can see it without a link

hey flloze that looks good , how u manage t do the translucency of the grapes?
is that a sss shader?

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morningfruitsvelazquezfinal2xu.jpg

jeremybirn
01-26-2006, 12:25 AM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5827/morningfruitsvelazquezfinal2xu.jpg

Ravix -

Nice!

I don't think the "wet" look is really working yet though, it looks too much like a picture of water just texture mapped on.

-jeremy

PS - If your img tag wasn't working, I think it was because you put in something ending in /my.php?image=morningfruitsvelazquezfinal2xu.jpg and you needed to view the actual image and get the url ending in /morningfruitsvelazquezfinal2xu.jpg

floze
01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
hey flloze that looks good , how u manage t do the translucency of the grapes?
is that a sss shader?
Thanks Ravix, yes it's Magical Master Zap's Superior Subsurface Scattering Shader. It comes with the mentalray for maya installation (from maya version 6 up afaik). :)

gerardo
01-26-2006, 12:40 AM
gerardo, amazing!! very nice, bright and natural light.

btw., thanks for sharing so much of your research work in the LW forums! i wonder about those 'hairy' cherry stems, i newer saw this kind... looks terrific :) how did you achieve this effect? hd instance or photoshop?

Thank you 3dworks! the good thing about this tricks is that most of them are applicable in other 3D packages too. Recently I saw a similar technique adapted to Blender and as far as I know Max and XSI works well with ramps too. Spinning lighting trick is a little restricted to LW but perhaps it might work in Renderman as well. I think this kind of cherry is known like sweet birch or cherry birch or something like that, I'm not sure but it isn't common. Btw, I've used a fur system for LW called Sasquatch, very useful for this kind of things :)

Gerardo

lazzhar
01-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Nice!

I don't think the "wet" look is really working yet though, it looks too much like a picture of water just texture mapped on.

-jeremy

Now you are between our hands Jeremy:twisted:
I I like the morning feeling and the depth of field. However I think that the leaf of the apple looks too thick . The green grapes(if they are grapes lol) are looking like olives :rolleyes: Maybe some tranclucency would be welcome there.

raghuramp
01-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi ,
This is my updated one plz comment on this.
Raghuram.p

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/raghuramp-Fruits26.jpg

jeremybirn
01-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Hmm, I used it on the bananas, the askdan* and the grapes. Only for a bit specularity and least little bit diffuse contribution though. And of course on the fabric.

Master Zap: I want the exact position (x, y, in raster space) of this pixel!! ;)

*whatever fruit this might be, I assumed it's something plum-like

Regarding the "askdan" fruit - Dan Wade built the first version of the scene that was up. When I remodeled some things and made a second version that's now up, I tried to name the fruits. The ones that were unidentifiable spheres in the back were named "ask dan" as in he should know what those spheres represent.

-jeremy

MasterZap
01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Now you are between our hands Jeremy:twisted:

That's not Jeremy's he was simply helping the guy above post his as an image.

Jeremy's would probably contain a car ;)

/Z

Ravix
01-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Jeremi I appreciate the critics and help for linking , Ill find a way to wet all my objects. of course if I find some time off.
love ur book

azazel
01-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Maybe just model some water droplets on the fruits, give them some transparent reflective shader..... just do it the 'hard' way ;) Actually this has quite a bit of potential, i may be tempted to make yet another version ;)

Ravix
01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Maybe just model some water droplets on the fruits, give them some transparent reflective shader..... just do it the 'hard' way ;) Actually this has quite a bit of potential, i may be tempted to make yet another version ;)

hi I thouhg on that, but if i want to wet the whole scene imagine to model all that stuff, im thinking in simulate some random drops , not sure how yet

as07
01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
hi all this is updated version of my fruit, just a little fix and some shader fix, this one should be final:D of my painterly look, maybe if i have time before another scene of lighting challenge come i will try realistic version of this fruit bowl, thanks for viewing^^

as07
01-27-2006, 05:13 AM
hi all this is updated version of my fruit, just a little fix and some shader fix, this one should be final:D of my painterly look, maybe if i have time before another scene of lighting challenge come i will try realistic version of this fruit bowl, thanks for viewing^^
http://as07.3dk.org/images/fruit800-2.JPG

Ministry
01-28-2006, 01:19 AM
hi,
may i know when is the last date for the submission . .? because my computer was corrupted for the past few days and i just saw the challenge . . anyways, i ;m gonna do it . . the posting looks awesome. . boosted already.
started my work.

jeremybirn
01-28-2006, 08:40 AM
hi,
may i know when is the last date for the submission . .? because my computer was corrupted for the past few days and i just saw the challenge . . anyways, i ;m gonna do it . . the posting looks awesome. . boosted already.
started my work.

Go for it. There's no real deadline. Although in February we're going to start another challenge so everyone will be talking about that.

-jeremy

MasterZap
01-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Always keep in mind Douglas Adams immortal words vis-a-vis deadlines.

/Z

jeremybirn
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I also did the Car paint (something for Jeremy I guess ;) ) and the AO and...

Thanks for the car paint shader. I'm working on rendering the fruit bowl scene and using it on the bowl now. Is there a focus/offset type parameter to determine what it reflects somewhere? (like a reflection angle thing?)

-jeremy

swag
01-28-2006, 07:46 PM
jeremy you rendering with mr i thought we will see some rfm action here ;)

Ministry
01-29-2006, 04:54 PM
hi as07 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=21323) vbmenu_register("postmenu_3196061", true);
awesome job . .i love it. My only comment would be the grapes . . the transulency part didn't work well i guess.. looks a bit artificial . . other than that. . . its wonderful . loving it.

jeremybirn
01-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Yes, rendered in MR. This is like all carpaint, for the bowl and the BG. I'm going to do a new BG I guess, I just got tired of making textures all day, bitmaps for all the fruits, so I put that shader on the BG so I could post something. Maya/MR nothing special going on:

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test1.jpg

-jeremy

floze
01-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Yes, rendered in MR. This is like all carpaint, for the bowl and the BG. I'm going to do a new BG I guess, I just got tired of making textures all day, bitmaps for all the fruits, so I put that shader on the BG so I could post something. Maya/MR nothing special going on:

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test1.jpg

-jeremy
Awesome, you did a great job on the textures! I notice a bit of nickeling on the pear and the ask-dan fruits though. Maybe try out the subd approximation nodes on them (if it doesnt work out in the first place, try to physically triangulate the meshes).

Hamburger
01-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Even though it's a bit late I'll give this a spin, there are some great looking renders here.

Hamburger
01-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Here's my version. I tried going for a flat paint look hence the absence of rim lights. I did some photoshop work but it's all layers and colour grading. Thanks.
http://www.kiernanmay.net/images/work/fruitBowl.jpg

Ministry
01-30-2006, 07:32 AM
this is the sample image of what i 've done in the free time after work. hope u like it. there r lots to be done with the texture and lighting as well. . fine tuning the gi is still at work.
critics r most welcome.

Ministry
01-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Yes nice one gerardo. Did you use your distance to null trick to fake the sss?

Heres my second one. 3 lights, no GI.

thats a amazing use of light. . great image

Ravix
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Finally yestarday i got some time off to update the droplets. tell me what u think . i think they look a bit exagerated.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morningfruitsvelazquez5zr.jpg

jeremybirn
01-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Finally yestarday i got some time off to update the droplets. tell me what u think . i think they look a bit exagerated.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morningfruitsvelazquez5zr.jpg

Better. Maybe the side of the pear shouldn't be so bright, and if you lit it more like the other fruit then more subtle glistening drops could be have the brightest highlights in some of those areas.

-jeremy

Ravix
01-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Better. Maybe the side of the pear shouldn't be so bright, and if you lit it more like the other fruit then more subtle glistening drops could be have the brightest highlights in some of those areas.

-jeremy

yeah i guess that willl make more sense.

cosmonaut
01-31-2006, 02:40 AM
Well, here's my go, a little late. Rendered in Cinema 4D 8.1.

operaguy
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
This might not be in the spirit of the challenge, I decided to go x-ray.
Poser6
No AO or IBL
No image-based textures added
Procedural shaders only
No postwork

This is/was a great challenge
Admire all the sharp minds at work
Thanks,
::::: Opera :::::

Ministry
01-31-2006, 09:55 AM
hi all . . .
this is the most recent image that i ve done. . i just thought about freezing it right here.
rendered with mental ray and post in photoshop. Render time about 5 minuts with gi on.
hope u like it
regards,

MasterZap
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes, rendered in MR. This is like all carpaint, for the bowl and the BG.

Whoah, here I go away for a few days and what do I miss? Jeremy using my shader and the lighter for Cars rendering in mr!? Okay, time to buy a lottery ticket or something! ;)

Very nice image. The "metallic flakes" shader work nicely in the bowl!

To your question, albeit to late I guess:

Thanks for the car paint shader. I'm working on rendering the fruit bowl scene and using it on the bowl now. Is there a focus/offset type parameter to determine what it reflects somewhere? (like a reflection angle thing?)

I don't quite understand what you mean by "focus" paramter... the car paint shader is actually a Phenomenon(tm), i.e. a mental ray collection of other component shaders that presents a set of subshaders as a new node and exposing a (sub)set of the parameters to the users.

You can see what/how this works by looking in the .mi declaration file for the paint shaders.

Reflections are handled by the mi_glossy_reflection shader, which has a whole bunch of parameters in itself, but only a subset is exposed in the car paint phenomena. The mi_glossy_reflection has parameters for distance-falloff and other groovy things to help keep render times in check and the image clean (i.e. the single sampling of environment, the shader assuming you have a pre-blurred environment map, to avoid noise in the environment reflections).

Alas, I ramble.

Very nice image, Jeremy!

/Z

jeremybirn
01-31-2006, 04:21 PM
The "metallic flakes" shader work nicely in the bowl!

Thanks Master Zap. I think I'll leave the carpaint on the bowl just like that - although I have picked out a fabric for the background in the next test. I haven't decided if I'll also use your SSS on the grapes, I was going to but when frontally lit they look pretty good without it.

By offset I meant the issue of what gets reflected; does it reflect objects closer to you or farther away? Sortof like the index of refraction does for refraction, you need a slider for what objects appear at what location within a reflection too sometimes, right? Like where 1 represents a "physically correct" reflection, at 2 a sphere would reflect the environment around it including what's all the way behind it, less than 1 would mean the sphere reflects an area more focused around the camera? I might be using the wrong word but this must be a concept that's around somehow, right?

My first test didn't include a reflection on the bowl of the banana, because I didn't like how it got broken up into two parts. I'll put a banana reflection in the next test but probably from a shorter banana. I wish I could adjust the offset on the plate's reflection to fix a problem like this, but a separate reflection object will have to do for now.

-jeremy

MasterZap
01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Master Zap. I think I'll leave the carpaint on the bowl just like that - although I have picked out a fabric for the background in the next test.

Yeah I think a fabric may be more suitable there.

I haven't decided if I'll also use your SSS on the grapes, I was going to but when frontally lit they look pretty good without it.

Well, as they say "try it you'll like it" ;)

By offset I meant the issue of what gets reflected; does it reflect objects closer to you or farther away? Sortof like the index of refraction does for refraction, you need a slider for what objects appear at what location within a reflection too sometimes, right?

Ah, gotcha, no, there is no support for that. Interesting thought, I never thought of that. We tend to think more "physically correct" over here (although I'm the resident "phenomenologist" that puts my finger to the wind and goes, "naah, this should be divided by... ... .pi ..... squared... yeah, that'll do")

Like where 1 represents a "physically correct" reflection, at 2 a sphere would reflect the environment around it including what's all the way behind it

Actually, a normal sphere does that (except the very area covered by the sphere). It's a common misconception that a sphere reflectson only the hemisphere facing the camera.

I might be using the wrong word but this must be a concept that's around somehow, right?

I keep thinking you could wire something like that up with the existing base shaders as a phenomena, but it may be tricky, actually... it's of course trivial to code such a shader.

But I keep also thinking it'll look wierd and distorted, at least on any flat-ish surface where the eye is able to "intuit" the reflection. (But yes, for curved surfaces our intuition for reflection go totally out the window and it could lend some extra artistic control... cool idea... but no, not in the shader today, m'fraid)

My first test didn't include a reflection on the bowl of the banana, because I didn't like how it got broken up into two parts.

Actually, I found that kinda cool in my tests... also how the cherries get kinda streched in the reflection.

I'll keep your idea in mind, though, for future shaders.

/Z

"pinch me" I must be dreaming ;)

JDex
02-01-2006, 03:29 AM
I haven't had much time to play with this in recent weeks, but made some time the last few days. It's not complete or completely satisfying, but I have made some progress.

All procedural textures (except for the bump on the leaf) and a simple key/fill/rim light rig with ambient occlusion.

Thanks for looking.

jeremybirn
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Here's another test image. I smoothed out some of the geometry and put a little fog in there, too. I still have to do something to the end of the banana to make that more organic, maybe a transparency map to make a rough torn-off type edge?

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test2.jpg

Master Zap - I'll see if I can do a SSS pass and see how that looks.

Regarding things being "Physically Correct," that's a great default for the first day's dailies on most things. But, when the director asks you to change the perspective of a shadow or reflection, if you tried telling him that you don't want to make his change because the computer's output was physically correct on your first version, then you might not work too many days in the industry. ;)

-jeremy

jorust
02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Regarding things being "Physically Correct," that's a great default for the first day's dailies on most things. But, when the director asks you to change the perspective of a shadow or reflection, if you tried telling him that you don't want to make his change because the computer's output was physically correct on your first version, then you might not work too many days in the industry. ;)
-jeremy

Iīve seen alot of renders these days of some Spheres with a fancy IOR material: " The render is small, grainy and I had to stop it after 90 hours, but hey!. Itīs physically correct!" ;)

Great render Jeremy. Some of the fruits are a bit glossy for my liking, but the light, texturing and cloth are spot on.
To to me it has this "overcast sky/daylight light coming in the window" feeling.
If thatīs what you tried to do, I think you nailed it.

You could get a job in the industy some day... ;)

jeremybirn
02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Here's my version. I tried going for a flat paint look hence the absence of rim lights. I did some photoshop work but it's all layers and colour grading. Thanks.
http://www.kiernanmay.net/images/work/fruitBowl.jpg

Looking good! Maybe there's a bit too much bump mapping on the apple, an apple is such a smooth surface.

Bump maps and diffuse light don't really mix anyway. I use bump maps to break up highlights and reflections, but on diffuse shading bump mapping usually looks so fake that I'd do anything else before using it on my diffuse.

-jeremy

PS - I see lots of people have been visiting this thread, hope I get some feedback too...

stew
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Iīve seen alot of renders these days of some Spheres with a fancy IOR material: " The render is small, grainy and I had to stop it after 90 hours, but hey!. Itīs physically correct!" ;)
Which it might not even then be...even the ones who claim physical correctness often still render in a vacuum without simulating polarized light, fluorescence, dispersion in the camera lens. I don't think there is any renderer that is completely correct, it's all just an approximation that comes more or less close.

Ravix
02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
HEllo everyone, Wow lately so many good stuff, i have some update on the pear and well im not really sure about it. anywyas Jeremy i think u mean this.

About your image is great im not reallly sure if u told us ur mood u were looking for , to me looks great somehow i loook at it alot of time. i like your those fruits behind the apple . but im not sure about the color of the orange grapes. i guees ur mood is like old fruits. anywyas have a good one.

http://img52.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morningfruitsvelazqueziipost5j.jpg

i didnt get how to put an image so i can see here.

anyone know if theres another name for the sss subsurface scatering in MAYA 7.0

floze
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Which it might not even then be...even the ones who claim physical correctness often still render in a vacuum without simulating polarized light, fluorescence, dispersion in the camera lens. I don't think there is any renderer that is completely correct, it's all just an approximation that comes more or less close.
http://www.artoolkit.org/ and
http://www.pbrt.org/, but I'm sure there's others around too. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyhow, I guess it's more about physical simulation than beauty, although this terms might not exclude each other.

Grüße ;)

jeremybirn
02-01-2006, 04:24 PM

Great render Jeremy. Some of the fruits are a bit glossy for my liking, but the light, texturing and cloth are spot on.
To to me it has this "overcast sky/daylight light coming in the window" feeling.
If thatīs what you tried to do, I think you nailed it.

You could get a job in the industy some day... ;)

Thanks for your reply - it came just as I was replying to another post.

Yeah, I'm hoping for that job; a few days ago I heard I might be working for Disney, of all people! ;)

I have things broken out into passes rendered last night (I'll post a breakdown when I'm done), so I'm thinking I'll only need to render 2 more passes (a transparency mapped patch to cover the head of the banana, and a sss pass for the grapes) and do everything else in the comp. Some of the fruits that are going too reflective like the lower plum got brighter when I added the fog pass, and I am going to try to bring that back down in the comp. There's also a reflection of a line (the edge of the cloth screen right), that's also a bit hard on areas like the SR side of the plums, but I think weighting things between passes will help hide that.

-jeremy

swag
02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
jeremy give the apple and the orange a little bit coating it looks very diffuse
and thanks for the upcomming breakdown i cant wait to see all your passes :applause:

azazel
02-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Jeremy, did you do any color correction ? I'd try to get away from the 'neutral' look you got now (colder key, warmer fills for interior-overcast look maybe). And since it's almost close-up, some very subtle DOF effect wouldn't harm either. One last thing, the cropping is a bit distracting, - eye is drawn to the edges of image (mostly left one, additionally the rim on the banana leads out of the image). Some more defined focus point in the middle part of the image should fix that.

stew
02-01-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.artoolkit.org/ and
http://www.pbrt.org/, but I'm sure there's others around too. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I have the pbrt book on my desk, and on page 419 it says "Properly accounting for polarization is a complex task, and so in pbrt we will make the assumption that light is unpolarized" - don't worry, I was just reading that chapter recently, I didn't spend minutes searching just to find an argument ;)

I don't think there's any renderer that captures the entire spectrum or light interactions we have in real life - it's just by far too complex, and the approximations we have so far look good enough for most purposes. And if there is, its render times would be far beyond usable for use outside research - there is a reason why all the renderers we use stick to stochastic BSDFs and don't render individual microfacets.

Hamburger
02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the crit Jeremy. I didn't notice the bump on the apple before, now it sticks out whenever I look at it! Heheh, I'll have to fix that later on tonight.

The render you posted is looking very good. I love the plate material with the flakes and the pear, they're both spot on. But the only crit I have is with apple. For me, the apple looks to orange in colour and it doesn't have that "sheen" from the wax that most apples have on it.

I'm interested to see the breakdown of your image as well. Great work man.

jeremybirn
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
OK, thanks for the feedback! New pass on the textures (this time used that wonderful "fix texture warp" attribute on NURBS bananas... duh) more detail, lots of color correction and some photoshop goodness:

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test3.jpg

Ooops, was I supposed to be getting the scene together for the next challenge tonight? Where did my time go? ...

-jeremy

floze
02-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I have the pbrt book on my desk, and on page 419 it says "Properly accounting for polarization is a complex task, and so in pbrt we will make the assumption that light is unpolarized" - don't worry, I was just reading that chapter recently, I didn't spend minutes searching just to find an argument ;)

I don't think there's any renderer that captures the entire spectrum or light interactions we have in real life - it's just by far too complex, and the approximations we have so far look good enough for most purposes. And if there is, its render times would be far beyond usable for use outside research - there is a reason why all the renderers we use stick to stochastic BSDFs and don't render individual microfacets.
Doh.. I do need to get that book now, where's my amazon account..? ;)

Anyway, the 300 Tflop/s quantum particle accelerator (running on imitation diamond basis) in my basement is just waiting for these renderers.

stew
02-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Doh.. I do need to get that book now, where's my amazon account..? ;)
You can borrow mine if you treat it well ;)

lazzhar
02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
OK, thanks for the feedback! New pass on the textures (this time used that wonderful "fix texture warp" attribute on NURBS bananas... duh) more detail, lots of color correction and some photoshop goodness:

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test3.jpg

Ooops, was I supposed to be getting the scene together for the next challenge tonight? Where did my time go? ...

-jeremy

Nice render, I like the banana, the most realistic here. I still dont like the texture of the pear, it looks stretched so far. Looking forward to see more.

jeremybirn
02-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Nice render, I like the banana, the most realistic here. I still dont like the texture of the pear, it looks stretched so far. Looking forward to see more.

Thanks. Only 1 more. Tired. I fixed the pear a bit, but it's a funny projection around a polygon mesh and it's not going to get a lot better.

Only major thing here is I tried to separate the orange from the grapes more, they were all running together in the last comp.

http://3drender.com/challenges/Fruit_test4.jpg

I'll post a breakdown at some point, but I have to move on to getting the next challenge off the ground, so I'll do that first...

-jeremy

jorust
02-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Nice work Jeremy!

I'll guess we're all ready for the next challenge.

:wavey:

lazzhar
02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
An other render I did.. I won't stop now.
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2hc43.jpg

jacobo3d
02-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi,

I saw this challenge a little bit late... :sad: Congrats to everyone. I've seen great inputs.

I've used 5 lights (3 point setup, top light and another one for some highlights). No GI.
No image filters. Render time was 2-3 min.
Shading is almost the same for every surface (copy/paste), with color variations and
some other little tweaks. Procedurals and gradients. No image maps.

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/LChN1_Fruits.jpg

Regards,

jeremybirn
02-03-2006, 02:00 AM
An other render I did.. I won't stop now.
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2hc43.jpg

That's great! The rectangle of light is just a perfect pool there, it nails the composition, makes the image more interesting, and still looks believable. I think the highlight on the pear is spot-on, it just sells me that this is a pear. In the apple highlight, it seems as if the dots inside the highlight are going too dark, and the cherry highlights look too bold (if the cherries were that shiney I'd expect a reflection of that light shape and texture more) The cloth is looking great, although parts of it screen-right look a little bump mapped.

-jeremy

gerardo
02-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I saw this challenge a little bit late... :sad: Congrats to everyone. I've seen great inputs.

I've used 5 lights (3 point setup, top light and another one for some highlights). No GI.
No image filters. Render time was 2-3 min.
Shading is almost the same for every surface (copy/paste), with color variations and
some other little tweaks. Procedurals and gradients. No image maps.

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/LChN1_Fruits.jpg

Regards,

What I find interesting in this image is the grapes. The SSS effect is very subtle, but looks natural and balanced with lighting levels. Is not an easy task to get SSS effect on dark surfaces. Well done Jacobo.

Gerardo

jacobo3d
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
What I find interesting in this image is the grapes. The SSS effect is very subtle, but looks natural and balanced with lighting levels. Is not an easy task to get SSS effect on dark surfaces. Well done Jacobo.

Gerardo

Thanks for your feedback Gerardo! I appreciate your comments. :)
I've use a gradient in translucency channel for the SSS graps effect.
Angle incidence as input parameter. Then, I've worked with back light
(intensity, color, position and orientation) until get that effect.

Regards,

lkelly
02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
My name is Lisa Kelly and I am a product specialist at Side Effects Software. I wanted to post an entry to the challenge using our 3D animation software Houdini and it's Mantra renderer. While I didn't get as far as I had hoped, this entry gives you an idea of what I was able to do in Houdini. There are nine lights in the scene although the mood isn't quite what I was aiming for.

http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/fruit/fruit_houdini.jpg

In case you would like to see how the Houdini shaders work, I have posted my Houdini scene file at www.sidefx.com (http://www.sidefx.com/) in the Houdini Exchange which can be found under the Learning menu. You can download the file and use our free Apprentice edition to explore the file. Please feel free to tweak the shaders and render out your own compositions. The Apprentice Edition uses a small wordmark and is limited to 640x480.

I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and look forward to doing more!!

CGNina
02-08-2006, 09:28 AM
(double post)

CGNina
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Here is my try (hope it's not too late).

- Nina
http://hem.bredband.net/ninagoddess/frukt.jpg

francescaluce
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
ehy, welcome !!
how many Andersson from Eskilstuna, Sweden ? :)
nice work. keep on !!

ciao
francesca

Pixlmonky
02-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Just found out about this, this weekend. Quickly put some shaders together and lit. I know the shaders are horrible but the lights didn't turn out too bad (for 3 days work). Needs some more hilights and rim lighting (maybe another shadow pass or two). Just wanted to post it before it was too late and maybe get some critique.

MasterZap
02-09-2006, 07:36 AM
ehy, welcome !!
how many Andersson from Eskilstuna, Sweden ? :)

Interesting question - I acutally checked by searching the online phone directory for Eskilstuna, but it only said "more than 1000 hits for 'Andersson', only displaying the first 1000". So I don't know. ;)

/Z

mlykke
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Anyone got some import tips for bringing these challenge scenes into 3dsmax? When I import all the objects seams very facettet. A smoothing fixes some of it, but if someone has some tips on this please do tell. :)

Want to try this fruit bowl scene.

buggsy
03-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Here is my attempt at the fruit bowl.
Electricimage Animation System v6.5

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/Fruit_bowl_Project.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Buggsy

threedeworks
03-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Here is my attempt at the fruit bowl.
Electricimage Animation System v6.5

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/Fruit_bowl_Project.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Buggsy

hi buggsy,

nice to see another EIAS user around here :)

very nice image. btw. - i like the delicate diffuse light in here. yet the fruit bodies are 'solid'.

two little things i noticed: maybe the bowl could be just a bit more 'grounded' and the cherries need more specularity/ reflectivity. did you use GI or illuminators/ light rig to get that soft look?

cheers

markus

buggsy
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Markus.:thumbsup:

EI 6.5
For lighting I used the "Lightplane shader", A "Secondary" light for reflections instead of letting GI calculate it and a "Radial" light with raytraced shadows to get some SSS in the grapes. The lightplane shader doesn't aid in the SSS so I needed to get some light to provide SSS. The "Skylight" also doesn't provide any affect for SSS.

I agree with you about the cherrys. I have some reference photos which I should go back and study to update my rendering. I wanted to get that "window square light" specularity and should do a few more renders to achieve this with the cherrys. I think that would help them as well. The EI specularity is a little to washed out for my liking. Note sharp enough.

I was eating a banana the other day and noticed that it would do well with SSS to give it some more life.

I started this lighting challenge with the orange being the first port of call but ruined it when I got to the end with all my lighting setups. I should go back and fix it as well.

Buggsy

MrPositive
04-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone. First off let me thank the initiators of this challenge, all contributors and all supporters. It's places like this that guide my (sometimes mislead) energies into the hopefully right directions. Here's my humble contribution, created in my precious spare time with love in every pixel ;) :

http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_floze.jpg
mentalray for Maya 6.5 / Adobe Photoshop
First practical use of my own created EI03 and hls mr shaders.
Special thanks to Gonzalo Garramuņo for gg_fakefur.
Very special thanks to Jeremy Pronk for creating IBL Tools (http://www.thereisnoluck.com/index.php).
Last but not least thank you Zap for the wonderful sss shader!

Thanks for watching! I'm looking forward to your advices.

I just love yours Floze the best! I think it's because nothing is too bright and harsh on the lighting front. Can you give us any more information on the lighting setup? I know you used the IBL but how many extra lights after that? Render Settings? Nice job on your shaders too!

floze
04-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I just love yours Floze the best! I think it's because nothing is too bright and harsh on the lighting front. Can you give us any more information on the lighting setup? I know you used the IBL but how many extra lights after that? Render Settings? Nice job on your shaders too!
Thanks Mr. Positive. The lighting setup is really pretty simple:

http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_screenshot1.jpg
http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_settings1.jpg
http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_settings2.jpg

The sphericalLight is attached to a pointlight at the origin, not visible in the screenshot. The light you can see there is a regular spotlight turned into a sphere shaped arealight, with very low opening angle to ensure it does not spread all over the place, but to provide a very subtle additional key light and soft shadow.

The HDR image that I used for the IBL was the kitchen probe btw:
http://athens.ict.usc.edu/probes/

MrPositive
04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks Mr. Positive. The lighting setup is really pretty simple:

http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_screenshot1.jpg
http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_settings1.jpg
http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/fruitbowl_settings2.jpg

The sphericalLight is attached to a pointlight at the origin, not visible in the screenshot. The light you can see there is a regular spotlight turned into a sphere shaped arealight, with very low opening angle to ensure it does not spread all over the place, but to provide a very subtle additional key light and soft shadow.

The HDR image that I used for the IBL was the kitchen probe btw:
http://athens.ict.usc.edu/probes/

You rock the house Floze! What I like most is your research into the various lighting techniques, shaders, etc. paid off in a phenomenal render in a challenge. Bravo! I do have one last question however. Can you explain why you prefer the IBL spherical light over the default IBL in Maya? and Thanks again, Cheers.

floze
04-09-2006, 05:40 PM
You rock the house Floze! What I like most is your research into the various lighting techniques, shaders, etc. paid off in a phenomenal render in a challenge. Bravo! I do have one last question however. Can you explain why you prefer the IBL spherical light over the default IBL in Maya? and Thanks again, Cheers.
Hmm, I cant tell you exactly what I dont like about the default Maya IBL, since it usually behaves quite unpredictable, making it difficult to see which part didnt work out again... ;) what I like about Jeremy Pronk's IBL Tools is that it does behave predictable, thus it is controlable and ready to use for my day to day stuff. And although it implies some additional steps (pulling lightmaps off the HDR images, setting up the sphericalLight itself etc.) I always know what's going on and hunting down problems is easier.

richardvacheresse
04-10-2006, 01:58 PM
yaaarrrggghhhh....welll for all the LW's out there, the "black pearl" sails again. i was just setting up my lights and used this as a test preset, there is no GI and render times were under a minute...

just thought it looked cool, anyways thx.

http://www.pinkelephantstudios.com/meshes/fruit%20bowl%20003%20blkpearl.jpg

jeremybirn
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
richardvacheresse -

Neat. The "prunes with bright rims" look is actually working well in some places. It doesn't seem to work on the orange, where it just makes it look furry, so maybe you could get rid of the fake rim on the left side of the orange. Some of the grapes look as if they couldn't be back-lit and could lose the rim as well.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Floze -

Thanks for the extra info. I added a link to it as a breakdown in the challenge gallery.

-jeremy

biscuitcleaver
04-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Floze, I've been following along and the only lighting I'm seeing from the Pronk plug-ins provide is just a sphere with directional lights pointing in.

Can you post a link on exactly what you did to provide that light setup using the Pronk IBL plugin?

floze
04-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Floze, I've been following along and the only lighting I'm seeing from the Pronk plug-ins provide is just a sphere with directional lights pointing in.

Can you post a link on exactly what you did to provide that light setup using the Pronk IBL plugin?
The sphere with directional lights is the alternative to sphericalLight, they both provide basically the same lighting - except that the sphericalLight has some more features like occlusion shadows and low-level sampling to boost reflection/finalgathering. But all I did was following the instructions on the lightMapGen and sphericalLight pages:

http://www.thereisnoluck.com/downloads/iblTools/docs/lightMapGen_QuickStart.html
http://www.thereisnoluck.com/downloads/iblTools/docs/sphericalLight.html

You can see what settings I used in my screenshot above. I still have the plan to create a tutorial on all that stuff, I'm just busy as hell lately... ;)

biscuitcleaver
04-12-2006, 03:43 AM
awesome. I'm trying to light a multi-level environment, do you think this is the best thing to use?

3DDave
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I am a little late to the party, but here is my render. I used XSI 5.1, MR, FG.

http://www.pixeldimensions.com/public/fruit_comp.jpg

pranish
04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
hey this wat ihave rendered plz pass on sme comments regarding the lighting and shadows and tips to improve if possible

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6789/fruitnew6sm.jpg

jeremybirn
05-08-2006, 04:21 AM
hey this wat ihave rendered plz pass on sme comments regarding the lighting and shadows and tips to improve if possible

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6789/fruitnew6sm.jpg
The contrast on that image looks very strange. Parts of it are very brightly and evenly lit, but then the grapes are almost black so you can't see them except for the highlights. Probably the materials/shaders have too much contrast, some are much brighter color than the other, and they should be made more similar.
It's hard to tell if the apple is reflective, it appears to be reflecting some highlights but I can't see a reflection of the fruit near it. The fruits behind the apple could use some bounce light, the bottoms of them don't appear to get any reflected light bouncing up from below.
The background texture appears to be projected from above, I can see the texture on the background stretches out vertically on the vertical parts of the backdrop; maybe the backdrop could be textured using the surface UV's instead of a projection through space.

-jeremy

-Sai-
05-08-2006, 05:32 AM
hello

Thanks for making this challenge ..here is my first progress .I am still tweaking on the shader and trying to get a better SSS on grapes.
Feel free to critique.
thanks

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=95014&stc=1

jeremybirn
05-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Sai -

Nice "folk art" sortof look. Fresh, bold colors are nice. Maybe some of the colored rims, like the purple on the pear seem a bit off.

Do you know what could be causing the black outlines around the fruits, especially for the bananas?

-jeremy

T-bat
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I maybe know.
Those black outlines are premultiplication problems, aren't they?

jeremybirn
05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I maybe know.
Those black outlines are premultiplication problems, aren't they?

They look like some kind of a compositing problem. If you're layering things together using their alpha channels, using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe After Effects, then maybe turning off premultiplication in your render is safer. A lot of people render all their layers premultiplied and don't get black matte lines like that though...

-jeremy

-Sai-
05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
I had to turn off alpha in composites mode to get rid of the black outlines.
here is edited version with some minor tweaks.

Hamburger
05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I love that light you've got now. It's a really warm flat light but I think some of the fruit needs to have more specular highlights. The ends of the banana's need a bit of texturing work and some of the fruit looks too "clean". Looking good though, you've got a really great scene.

silvia
05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I am sorry, I know this challenge is done and closed, but I loved all the other postings and decided to give it a try anyways. I had a ridiculous amount of fun doing it, so I hope you'll bear with me... ;)
All materials are hand made, either procedural or hand painted in Photoshop. I used Maya + MR.
I loved to see all the different interpretations of the same scene. You are all really talented people!

http://www.silviapalara.com/portfolio/fruit1.jpg

andrewness
05-18-2006, 10:43 PM
http://www.nessy.com.au/temp_images/fruit4.jpg

This is my try at this challenge, even though it seems like it has finished. Jeremy, it would be great if you could make a few comments please. This image was rendered using standard spot lights and added an ambient occlusion layer in photoshop.

Cheers
Andrew Ness

silvia
05-18-2006, 11:20 PM
I love the grapes Andrew! I am having some difficulty getting mine right. Since you are also posting late, here is my last version of it:

http://www.silviapalara.com/portfolio/fruit4.jpg

Comments would be nice, but it looks like this thread has been practically abandoned by everybody.

jeremybirn
06-10-2006, 06:08 AM
http://www.nessy.com.au/temp_images/fruit4.jpg

This is my try at this challenge, even though it seems like it has finished. Jeremy, it would be great if you could make a few comments please. This image was rendered using standard spot lights and added an ambient occlusion layer in photoshop.

Cheers
Andrew Ness

Hi Andrew -

Nice job!

The grapes look very softly lit. The other fruit might use a bit more bounce light because it looks like it's going black on the lower right, in places where real fruit could be getting some reflected light. The cherries look good, although all those little dots of light would only make sense in a place like a concert hall. The banannas look good, I know how hard it is to get the texture to work without bunching-up along the corners, maybe switching to cylindrical projection for the lower one would help give it more variety and prevent a texture bunch-up.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
06-10-2006, 06:16 AM
I love the grapes Andrew! I am having some difficulty getting mine right. Since you are also posting late, here is my last version of it:

http://www.silviapalara.com/portfolio/fruit4.jpg

Comments would be nice, but it looks like this thread has been practically abandoned by everybody.

Hi Sy -

Nice job!

The grapes have a wonderful frosted appearance, very much like real grapes. I like the look of the china bowl as well. Those little oranges seem to be a type of fruit that I haven't seen before, but I can believe that there could be tiny oranges somewhere.

The reflections don't really match with the lighting. It looks like a reflection of a big window directly behind us, but the lighting is a very sharp, crisp illumination casting razor-sharp shadows. I can't tell you which way to go, but whatever kind of motivation or environment you are going for, stick with it through the reflections, illumination, and shadows.

-jeremy

silvia
06-10-2006, 08:54 PM
LOL! Those are kumquats!
Wow, I hadn't noticed what you said about ligths and shadows, but now that you say it, you are quite right. Thank you!

kepler1571
06-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I thought I'd try this challenge after seeing it in Jeremy's new book. The pear is supposed to emit a 'soft light' ala the 'mathmos' (http://www.mathmos.com)bubble lamps.

http://www.gfx.demon.co.uk/fruitBowl_half.jpg

http://www.gfx.demon.co.uk/fruitBowl_on.jpg

The scene was mainly lit via 'final gathering' with a light for 'SSS' a 'Rim light' and 'point lights' emitting raytraced shadows for the pear. I also created an animation of the pear flickering on and off.

Is it OK to include this scene in my lighting showreel? :)

cheers

Stuart.

jeremybirn
06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Stuart -

That's nice. Maybe something in between in terms of the brightness in the center could work, but the rest of the fruit should be lit mainly by the light in the center. Right now the banana looks brighter on top than on the inner side facing the pear, so it seems as if the lighting could be more directed by the pear. If you need to add a little fill or some kicks and rims in other places that's fine, but first start with the scene lit entirely by the pear, just to make sure you are nailing the effect.

You can put whatever you want on your showreel. If you textured and lit something but didn't model it, it's good to mention that on a breakdown sheet along with the reel.

-jeremy

kepler1571
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi jeremy

Thanks for the advice. I think the rim light is too high, I'll lower it to reduce the light from above. I'll mention who did the modeling on the breakdown sheet.

cheers

Stuart.

Martin Kay
06-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's my effort so far. Lighting only at moment, although this, so far, seems to be as much a texturing exercise as a lighting one...

http://www.martinkay-3d.com/fruit_light.html

Martin K

Martin Kay
06-18-2006, 12:02 PM
hello

Thanks for making this challenge ..here is my first progress .I am still tweaking on the shader and trying to get a better SSS on grapes.
Feel free to critique.
thanks

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=95014&stc=1

I like the style of this image very much- it works very well indeed!

Martin K

jeremybirn
06-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Martin -

Good start! Make sure you have an idea what kind of environment the fruit bowl is really supposed to be in to motivate those lights, things will look different once many of the surfaces are reflective and you see the environment reflected in them as well.

-jeremy

MasterZap
06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Allow me a slight curve-ball
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/still-life-5.jpg

/Z

jeremybirn
06-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Nice MZ!

-jeremy

jipe
06-24-2006, 04:57 AM
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I figured it best to start with the first challenge and move on from there. Here's my first pass at the scene... unfortunately I seem to have fallen back on my crutch of using yellow/blue... it doesn't look quite right, does it?

jeremybirn
06-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Jim -

Good start. Right now, the darkest parts of the fruit are on the same side as the lightest parts, maybe because you have dark key light shadows and no working shadows on the fill light. See if you can work through where darkest and lightest tones would appear, especially in areas where fruits touch eachother such as the pear next to the grapes.

-jeremy

mcu202
06-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi- I know this is a little late but I'm new to the lighting challanges and I'm trying to catch up. Here's my fruit....

http://www.mirelle3d.com/fruit_still2.jpg

jipe
06-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Ah, spot on with your comments, Jeremy... none of my fills were casting shadows. Today I went in and set the blue fill light to cast shadows, but I didn't really like how it turned out (distracting shadows on the left side of the plate). My other fills were horribly positioned so I moved one and took the other out.. it's getting there. I'm not sure how much more I can do without getting some textures in there so I can figure out what color the bounce lights should be. My main problem with the scene so far is that the lighting feels so ambiguous; it seems like it's impossible to discern the time of day or even what the main light source is. I need to pick something and push it, I think...

Anyway, enough babbling. Thanks for stopping by, Jeremy, and feel free to be as harsh as you want.. I really appreciate the help.

jeremybirn
06-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Great Jipe, keep going with reflections and color...

mcu202: Nice colors! Good textures. If any advice, the bounce light looks a little inconsistent (dark on pear, bright concentrated highlight on orange) and some reflections would add to the materials.

-jeremy

Martin Kay
06-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Here's my finished textured image.
It was lit with one main spot, casting a soft shadow with inverse sq falloff. A second spot also with falloff, but no shadow was used for a fill. All textures are procedural. Rendered in c4d.

Martin K

Martin Kay
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Here's another version using GI. One main spot and a white 'card' reflector to left of camera.

Martin K

jeremybirn
07-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Martin -

Nice, the left one looks good except where it goes so dark on the grape that's next to the pear, maybe that's not reflective enough or translucent enough or needs more light bounces? The right one is missing some shadows, you can see the lower banana bright where it should be shadowed by the grapes. On both of them, the terminator (the falloff from light to dark) seems too sharp in places, especially the peaches in back.

-jeremy

Martin Kay
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Martin -

Nice, the left one looks good except where it goes so dark on the grape that's next to the pear, maybe that's not reflective enough or translucent enough or needs more light bounces? The right one is missing some shadows, you can see the lower banana bright where it should be shadowed by the grapes. On both of them, the terminator (the falloff from light to dark) seems too sharp in places, especially the peaches in back.

-jeremy

Thanks for the feed back Jeremy. I've adjusted the lighting and shading to sort the lighting falloff, also tweaked the translucency of the grapes. Have also slightly bought the main light around a bit and added another reflector card to fill the shadows more. As well as the original environmental reflection sphere, I've added another white card above the set to act as another reflection object.

Martin K

mbeazley
07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Well I have decided to tackle the earlier challenges so here goes on this one. All textures are procedural except for the cloth and the plate which have image maps. Lighting is basically three point; fill is a directional, and the key/back are spots. I also have 2 helper lights, one for the grapes in back and one area light just to give the cloth and the plate a little bit of light down in front. Rendered with slight GI and Radiosity; Lightwave 8.5.

The grapes were the hardest for me, and I am still not entirely convinced about them yet.

-mark

mbeazley
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Martin, those green grapes look great. What is your magic formula?

-mark

Martin Kay
07-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Martin, those green grapes look great. What is your magic formula?

-mark

It's the Sub Surface Scattering shader in c4d.

Martin K

mbeazley
07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Hmm, another feature I can look forward to in LW9.

-mark

SirRender
07-17-2006, 08:12 AM
I've recently picked up Jeremy Birn's book "Digital Lighting & Rendering," 2nd edition, and I was inspired to put my skills to the test and join these fantastic challenges.

Jeremy, if you read this, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and for providing the models. You are a true artist.

Below is my first ever image entry into any cgtalk thread. I decided to start from the begining, even though I know that this particular challenge is long gone and my entry may not get much viewing but I do welcome any comments and construtive criticism.

Thank you for looking.

Apollux
07-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Woa!!! Amazing idea and amazing works (still reading on page 10, but cann't help it posting my own try) .. I regret not noticing this before. The entries posted so far are so good Iīm ashamed to post mine, but I guess that if you want to improve you gotta start somewhere.

http://apollux-designs.com/3dcgi/LightingChallenge/Fruit01.png
Going for a nightime, indoor incandescent look. Blender internal renderer. No post production. No shading other than plain colors on the fruits.

One whide-angled spot for the key, a orange toned area light to fill. Ambient oclusion set to substract light only). 113 mm lens on the camera.

http://apollux-designs.com/3dcgi/LightingChallenge/LightSetup01.jpg
C&Q much wellcomed

Apollux
07-19-2006, 04:40 AM
SirRender, that looks amazing. The lighting is quite good and so are the textures (specially on the bananas)... I would give more critique, but as you can see from my previous post, it would be kind o a kindergarden kid lecturing a senior high school student.

Hmm... if there is something that I would sugest to revisit it would be the DOF, it is quite distracting on your image.

Apollux
07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Trying someting diferent, a little less dark. Again no post production.
http://apollux-designs.com/3dcgi/LightingChallenge/Fruit02.png

MasterZap
08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's something I did six months ago but havn't been able to post until after SigGRAPH when the existance of the shaders became public.... ;)

"La Frota" at six differet times of day.... enjoy....

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-01.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-02.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-03.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-04.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-05.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/f-06.jpg

/Z

silvia
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
What shaders would those be?

MasterZap
08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
See this lil' demo (http://download.autodesk.com/global/3dsmax/featureVideos/max9_mentalray_improvments_large.mov)

/Z

lazzhar
08-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Wow, the demo looks great !!
Any hope to get those shaders for Maya soon?

lazzhar
08-25-2006, 09:20 AM

lazzhar
08-25-2006, 09:25 AM

maneeacc
08-25-2006, 09:57 PM
ain't a party without some glass fruits :]

http://www.pureweb.ca/myimages/shiny_large.jpg

wow... this is amazing... great interpretation... simply amazing...

jeremybirn
08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Nice "time of day" look.

I guess the shaders that didn't make it into Maya 8.0 will have to wait for the 8.01 patch?

-jeremy

israelyang
09-03-2006, 02:57 AM
I have always wanted to try one of these, but work is so busy and when I get home I don't want to do anything else but relax.

Here is my quick attempt, really not much determination here so just a quick lighting 'sketch' or like a quick concept to layout the composition and atomsphere.

Final gather and GI is set to low accuracy to retain this raw sketchy render look. Due to the lack of time the shader is left as default PhongE with reflection turned off.

It's really nice to see some real nice renders coming out from these challenges.

roli
09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, a bit behinde everyone else, here is my try at the fruits chalenge.
No GI or FG, just spot lights (10 of them).
I'll be happy to get any comments about it.

yencaray
09-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Roli - Very nice rendering on the cloth! If you could show me or give some insight to how you made that i'd really like that! It's beautiful!
You're fruit doesn't look half bad! the grapes are coming along good! I think you should check your specular hilights look closly at the objects you're recreting and i'd try maybe looking into your shadows/lighting i think you have a fill light that might be up to much? i'm only guessing?

But here is my try! I didn't use any SSS but if someone could let me know what this SSS quick shader is maybe i could use it i'm more then interested in it
Use three lights, Two spots. one area, Everything here was made with proc Textures. I'm thinking of making the orange look old and moldy like i did with the banana. But it'd appriciate any tips and pointers or improvements that anyone can offer!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/moon_lit_eyes/CGTALK%20forums/Fruit_Med.jpg

Ajudy
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I Have A new experience In 3DSmax.
This Pic Is My experience .
See And Help Me About My Render.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Ajudy/fruit_1024_1h36m3s.jpg

Ajudy
10-07-2006, 06:22 PM
This File IS My First experience
http://usera.imagecave.com/Ajudy/fruit_1024_1h36m3s.jpg

neonbulbs
10-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Ok, I know this is probably really late to submit this first challenge, but I've just found out about this lighting challenge. So I guess I just try the first challenge first. I don't use any FG or GI to light the scene because my PC just give me a really hard time when I use one of them :)

Ok, please please feel free to give feed back

http://www.geocities.com/neonbulbs/Fruit_Challenge_Take01.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/neonbulbs/Fruit_Challenge_Take02.jpg

YourDaftPunk
10-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Just keeping the thread alive! I'm calling this semi-final as of now (haven't done bump maps yet and I have other projects!):

http://shawnlipowski.com/forumFiles/lighting_challenge_fruit.jpg

I really, really liked Floze's render. Didn't think I needed bump maps or a nice table cloth texture till I saw his!

And the lighting progression from area lights to FG:

http://shawnlipowski.com/forumFiles/fruit_progression.jpg

-shawn

DreamMaster
11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Hello,

It's my first time doing lighting challenge. :)

Set up in Blender and rendered with Blender's default internal renderer engine. Enjoy! :) Since Blender doesn't have real SS shading, I had to fake it by painting it and apply it as "light" texture.

http://dm07.net/blender/fruit.jpg

jeremybirn
01-21-2007, 05:22 PM
This thread is being locked, as an archive of the original posts and discussion in the Fruitbowl lighting challenge.

-jeremy