PDA

View Full Version : Digital fusion or Combustion?

PorkpieSamurai
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Hello
my names Chris, im from Perth West Australia.
I am involved in setting up a small studio to work on a short film that was shot in 16mm film.
My only compositing experiance has been in after effects, which is not an option for this project. Im researching both DF and combustion at the moment to try and get a better idea which package to purchase. Something like shake would probably be best.
We need a compositor that works well with maya and max render layers and am interested in hearing some of the points of Digital Fusion.
is there any training dvds available for this product?

PieterVH
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi Chris,

you might want to start here:

http://www.eyeonline.com/web/eyeonweb/techniques/courseware/courseware_ed2.aspx

If you are looking for "something like Shake", Fusion will probably be an extremely good solution. Stability is IMO still an issue at this time, but Eyeon are working on that very hard and their support is just fantastic...

Hope that helps...

PorkpieSamurai
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Peter
thanks for the link its very helpful.
Are you using DF 5? is it still pretty unstable?

PieterVH
01-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Peter
thanks for the link its very helpful.
Are you using DF 5? is it still pretty unstable?

Yes, I am. And I am very pleased with it. Version 5.01 is already a lot better than 5.0 in terms of stability, but to be honest I personally wouldn't use it yet in a production with a very critical deadline. I still use version 4 for that...

However, if you don't mind it crashing/acting weird from time to time it has an incredible toolset and works VERY pleasantly. Good sense of logic throughout the entire program. Which is IMHO and depending on one's personal needs more important than stability. Having dealt with Eyeon before that issue is just a matter of time and I would never want to be stuck with a piece of software that I'm not comfortable with, even if that means temporarily taking some lost time into account due to stability ... I definitely recommend it.

modernPrimitive
01-23-2006, 07:25 PM
having come from an AE background, Fusion 5 is is awesome - a little unstable, but awesome. Most of the comp artist on vfxtalk recommend it over combustion - but I couldn't comment there....

PiotrekM
01-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Every single artist ive met said that combustion sucks. It has horrible interface just like smoke/flame... go for fusion/shake :) I think you can write to eyeon for a demo version

btw fusion is not very stable app

Wedurhoelner
01-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Fusion 4.04 is rock solid (I can only speak for DFX +). Works here since ancient times and is a reliable daily workhorse.

Still I'm unsure how they could release 5.0x at the present stage since it's nothing you can charge money for (in my opinion). You can't even fiddle with a transform-slider and watch it without crashing it..

So I'd give it a bit more time before considering a purchase.

Cheers,
W.

Vympel
01-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Fusion have features donīt present in Combustion and the Combustion isnīt the most stable application :beer:

mikepolizos
01-26-2006, 08:02 AM
First of all, check the prices ;) you will see the differnce. In the vfx house I am working we have both combustion and fusion. I am working only with fusion. Combustion are used by the rookies, if you are seeking for something cheap and to do the job combustion is the tool for you. But in no way combustion is comparable to fusion. Fusion is THE tool, that's why is used by great vfx houses around the world. Fusion 5.0 was really unstable and I was back to 4.04e which is solid as rock, but as PieterVH already said 5.01 in really more stable but still not solid, althought I found it ok to move in to it in production, without worries so far. As for the feedback by eyeon, it is great. Hope that helps :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

m.d.
01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
i was trained in combustion, and can positively say fusion beats it hands down.
shake is also very good, but I still prefer fusion.

your other highend option is D2 nuke....

mike harper
02-02-2006, 03:22 AM
I have worked on both extensively:most of my work i do now in fusion.

combustion : pros a good mix of compositing and motion graphics. layer based.
cons: particles - needs some work. your limited to its architecture, IE the composite workspace.
good for beginners.

fusion: compositng is flow based . here you work "under the hood you should have some knowledge of compositing
before approaching it. version 4 was very stable version 5 is a little flaky but nothing too bad .
small company is dedicated to excellance so expect real suport and patch fixes.
hope this helps

PorkpieSamurai
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
wow, thanks to all who posted in repsonse to my thread, been very helpful. Since i posted i have met and worked for a compositor who uses DF and he showed me how it works, wonderful interface and i love the workflow
will be begging the production manager for this peice of beauty.
thanks again
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.