PDA

View Full Version : Slight gripe about Wacom

grodot
01-12-2006, 09:39 AM
So Wacom announced their 12" x 19" widescreen tablet. Don't get me wrong, Wacom pads put food on my table. Theirs is the best and no one else come close but I'm starting to feel that Wacom is callous about their market dominance. They put out products on a piecemeal basis (November last year they put out a 6 x 11 widescreener) and then hibernate. And improvements & features on new products are more like user necessities that should have been out like ages ago.

I mean if Wacom was a Taiwanese company, we'd never have to use the keyboard for design ever again. There'd be a dedicated, separate scratch well for pen gestures or something. I use pen gestures surfing with firefox and my Mouse Gestures extension can handle even the most complex movements. Taiwan/Chinese companies are falling over themselves for customers and I bet we'd have accessories up to our necks with small, sometimes frivolous attachments or grip shapes or surface textures. The point is we'll have more to choose rather than leaving it to Wacom to decide what's best after doing their "research".

Again I have to say that Wacom pads are the best in the market. It's just that I'm convinced that if some other people were to run it; 1) We'd have it cheaper, 2) We'd be busy choosing what options are most suitable to our working styles rather than busy praying for bigger widescreen flavours.

And have anyone noticed that Wacom said the new offering "is a great match to the screen aspect ratio of either a wide screen display or standard displays used together"? That's either 1 widescreen or 2 narrowscreens. What about dual widescreens, which is quickly becoming de rigeur.

I feel that Wacom is thinking like Sony. First they were innovative, then they became aloof. I hope that some Taiwanese company would hostile-takeover it and license the technology patents to other manufacturers.

I love Wacom but I hate being its slut. *sobs while reaching for the credit card*

Beamtracer
01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I believe Wacom is a Japanese company. They make great tablets, though their market dominance is due to the fact that they own a patent on the batteryless pen. Their competitors must put batteries in the pen.

day_j
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Taiwan, Taiwan, Taiwan, Taiwan, Taiwan, China!

Go back to using a mouse. It's fun, like painting with a sock on your hand.

thomaspecht
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
hm, well i do not like their tablet-monopoly either and am sure the price could be lowered significantly if they didn't have the important patents covered. but at least their stuff is in my experience high quality, virtually lasts forever and does the job it's supposed to. i can't say that about a lot of other products i owned ;)
i am still on intuos1's and only now, after five or more years of frequent use, the surface on my main tablet starts to show scratches. not to mention that the whole thing, despite having been kicked around from one freelance gig to another, still works like new. really can't complain about their products after summing it all up.

Simon
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I believe Wacom is a Japanese company. They make great tablets, though their market dominance is due to the fact that they own a patent on the batteryless pen. Their competitors must put batteries in the pen.

I have a feeling that its expired. AS Trust rereleased their product with a betteryless pen.

klampert
01-13-2006, 05:05 PM
yeah i think it is expired...

I have the 6x11 and love it...but I would also love to be rid of my keyboard////maybe gestures it the way to go

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.