PDA

View Full Version : Afterburn Demo - Is it limited in some way?

Jon-Huhn
01-12-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm wanting to learn Afterburn, and I've installed the demo version of 3.1, but I don't see anywhere what the limitations are. If it's time limited, I'd like to know so I spend time right away learning it before the time expires.

Does anyone know if the demo is limited in functionality or time?

Thanks!

SoLiTuDe
01-12-2006, 07:51 AM
...probably 30 days

midk
01-14-2006, 06:02 AM
I think a major portion of Afterburn is disabled in the demo, the actual Afterburn module.. which is 95% of why you'd want to learn it anyways (IMO).

IIRC the demo only includes Afterburn Combustion.. if you can come back and tell us what you have in your list of Atmospheric Effects, we could tell you if you're missing a lot.

That and I do believe there's a 30-day limit..

RCM2004
01-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi,
As far as the demo version of afterburn 3.1 is concerned the limitations are labeled when you install it, it says the limitations are:-

This product is a limited demo, and as such, it does not contain a number of things that the full, commercial application has including:
- The AfterBurn 3 Daemons are not available.
- The AfterBurn 3 Particle Flow operator (for MAX 5.x and 6.x) is not available.
- The AfterBurn 3 Demo is save disabled, which means that if you save your scene file, you will lose all settings associated with the AfterBurn effects you've created.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that if you have your AutoSave option turned on within 3ds max, that you may experience a problem where your settings "mysteriously" reset themselves while working with the demo. This is part of the demo's Save Disabling, so you should turn this feature OFF if you plan on working with the AfterBurn 3 Demo for any length of time.
Finally, most of the TUTORIAL files for the full version of AfterBurn 3 will not function within the Demo version and as such, are not included. You should be able to do tutorials 1 through 3 (remember - do NOT try to save your work as you go) and those files are included with the demo installer.

hope this helped
Rob

Jon-Huhn
01-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Looks like the enviro effects I have available with the 3.1 demo are:
AB Render Demo
AB Demo
AB Combustion Demo
AB Volume Fog Demo
AB Fog Demo

And I took a little risk and tried to test if there was a 30 day time limit by setting my system calendar ahead afew months and relaunching Max, and the Afterburn demo still worked, so I kind of doubt there is a time limit, at least any shorter than 3 months or so.

I did notice that when I save my scene, all my custom settings are reset to default values. Which is fair, I guess, but rather annoying, and makes it impossible to incorporate AfterBurn effects into my personal portfolio that I'm preparing :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.