PDA

View Full Version : Animation: robots fightin

InnerVortex
11-29-2002, 12:54 AM
finally.. render.. done.. uff.. ufff..
well.. this is my first animation i did it just to practice, no story, basic envoirment and all, just pure robots inafight.

www.gamedev-pt.net/rob.avi
edit for the sake of information (19mb 3minutes of animation 640rez divx5.02 or something)

www.gamedev-pt.net/rob320.zip
(8mb 3minutes of animation 320rez)

I want YOU to critics and comments!

(please if it doesnt please tell me that the link doesnt work, it is fine for me.. now but we never know..!)

LordShaitan
11-29-2002, 02:32 AM
Nice first animation. But i think that you should have spent less time on the reflections and the GI in the rendering and put that time to refinning the animations. The camera movment is VERY distracting. Remmeber, just because you can move the camera all around in the 3d space doesnt mean that it looks the best that way. Alot of its prblomes are the jerky movments.

Chunks. There are no follow trhough animations to them, they wont just hit and stop as if they are made of glue.

I think there is alot of that animation that could be left out (Such as flying through the place for such a long time.

My suggestion, cut it down to 30 seconds, and make that animation REALLY smooth.

Keep it up

InnerVortex
11-29-2002, 02:42 AM
u are right i better practice in some shorter things before i get to a "larger" animation again.. im very unexperienced on camera moves and general animation.. but.. we have to hit and hit to get it right.. it looked like gi? thx i think:)

LordShaitan
11-29-2002, 03:34 AM
GI = Global illumination. Yeah un forunatly in large projects we seem to loose focus sometimes. Especially when time and $ permits so. Just think of how movies do their camera shots. Or think in terms of, "ok in real life would this shot be possible with a real camera and equipment" IE alot of your flying by and upside down shots. the shot where the robot has his sword in the cube, and the camera follows the arm back, i think thats a great camera movment, but it needs to be ironed out Possible you might want to take it into a post program (ie After effects), and add blur durring the fast camera movment,s thus imitating life. But dont go crazzy on it.

My first animation was gong to be like 5 minutes long, and then because of time it was only like 30 secs, but i spent alot of time working for those 30 secs.

I think you should say lpan out the figt a little better, and have it ALOT more action based rather then a slow style.

Hec
11-29-2002, 04:09 AM
Thought it turned out pretty well. My huge crit. You cutting to different camera angles was horrible. (The match cuts) You would show a chunk of action and then when it was over, switch to a different angle and show it again. It isn't fun.

It looked good. Nice job on it. Make more for us.

lluisllobera
11-29-2002, 07:40 AM
well... I agree w everything said

if you're striving for a good-looking animation don't spend your time in really cool illumination and reflection effects...

I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you!

InnerVortex
11-29-2002, 12:18 PM
thanks alot guys for pointing me it, in this one i probably wount do much more, ill rerig the char better and practica small cuts.
i wanted it to be simple but the raytrace slowed down the render.. well.. noob stuff.. the ilumination is just plain 3 lights setup i did one with very soft mapshadows do simulate gi, one rigid raytrace shadow and one to fill that doesnt cast sahdows.(unfortunatly maya render dosnt suport gi.. well or maybe not that infortunatly...)

InnerVortex
11-29-2002, 11:43 PM
www.gamedev-pt.net/rob320.zip
a smaller version for the low conected ones( 8mb 320 rez)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.