PDA

View Full Version : spline IK flipping

weeBeastie
01-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I am rigging a snake-like dragon with a spline IK through the spine. Is there any way to control the flipping that happens when I animate it?

NolanSW
01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Take a look that the spineIKhandle and take a look under Advanced Twist Controls. If enable Twist Controls is off, turn it on. Change your WorldUpType to "Object Rotation Up(Start/End)" . Play around with the Up Axis so that it stays locked. Set your Up Vectors to 1 in the channel that corresponds to the Up Axis, say Z for example. Then set your World Up Object to the lower spine controls name. The Second to the upper control name. Last the Twist Value Type to Total. That should fix the flipping you may be having.

Sean

weeBeastie
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been playing with the Advanced Twist Controls. Its helping but this dragon turns in so many directions I don't know if this will work out all the kinks and twists. Another problem with the IK spline is that when I animate the head of the dragon it causes the body to swim through the controls back and forth. Is there a better way to rig a chinese dragon?

Thanks,
Jessica

NolanSW
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Don't know how you are setting up the head but it your head control has a group above it, you can point and orient constrain the controls group to the neck joint. That will keep the control with the joint but perserve the controls channels. Hope that helps.

M.E.L.
01-13-2006, 01:48 AM
personally, on the note of a dragon I would suggest leaving any IK off the spine. You're not really "pinning" it or posing it in any real direction, as I remember most chinese dragons being very fluent and flowing... when in doubt... FK IT!

on the note of the advanced twist controls... they're still a pile of shite even in Maya 7 and buggy as hell...

-s

NolanSW
01-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Hmm, so what does it make it so buggy? Haven't had any problems with it so far. Without it, the spine whacks out when the spine is flipped 180.

M.E.L.
01-13-2006, 06:48 AM
how far are you actually pushing it though?

under extreme scenarios, the advanced twists tends to go completely awol. A good solution around it was the Divine Spine by Erick Miller, but the setup is a fair bit more indepth than your generic spline type rig.

i'm still crossing my fingers for a proper quaternion based solution ;)

-s

NolanSW
01-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Were not using any extreme poses, just subtle stuff but has worked quite well on cartoony and realistic characters for us here. Divine definetly a nice setup but some of the animators found it troublesome to get into the pose they wanted, so we kept it low-tech and his (knock on wood) holding up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.