PDA

View Full Version : PS for Powermac G5...how long to be supported?

smoothoperator
01-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Does anyone have any info on this? How long does Adobe plan to support the Powermac version of Photoshop? NOT Intel based mac's.
Do I wait for the intel powerpc macs? Or get one now knowing adobe will continue to support ibm powerpc mac's for at least 5 years?
Does running Photoshop on current Intel based mac's under Rosetta for pro's have a performance hit?

Decisions decisions...
Anyone know?
Thanks.

halo
01-11-2006, 07:51 PM
the big intmacs aren't supposed to be out until 2007...CS3 will be out by then (assuming the 18 month update schedule is adhered to)...so assume CS3 is a universal coded app then i would say your safe for a year or two at least until CS4 arrives...

The question i'm debating is wether there's actually any point in the future of buying another mac. The only thing holding me back is windows ram limit is still low...but if that gets raised to something decent like 4 or 8gb then for bang for buck its going to be a tough decision...certainly ram is more important than processor if your running low in PS.

spmonahan
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
The only thing holding me back is windows ram limit is still low...but if that gets raised to something decent like 4 or 8gb then for bang for buck its going to be a tough decision

32-bit WinXP supports up to 4GB of memory (my understanding is that that's the limit for 32-bit OSes). The catch is that it is both physical and virtual memory. So if you have your pagefile turned on this counts toward your total system memory.

halo
01-11-2006, 10:20 PM
yeh, my g5 holds 4gb of ram...i really am looking forward to working with 8gb in ram on my next machine...i dont really care about the os anymore...osx is just as pants in some areas as xp now.

i thought xp only held 2gb of ram and needed the 3gb switch to access more ie 3gb...?

K. Scott Gant
01-11-2006, 11:05 PM
the big intmacs aren't supposed to be out until 2007...

Steve Jobs said in the Keynote on Tuesday that the entire Macintosh line will be converted over to Intel by the end of THIS year...2006. The iMac and PowerMac are converted over now (though you can still by the G5 and G4 versions of these for the moment) which leaves the iBook, PowerMacs and MacMini to go. Throughout the year expect these parts of the line to be brought up to speed also. My guess is that the next to come out will be the big workstations, but that's a wild-ass speculation on my part.

Whipyo
01-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Guys,

On the ram issue, the current twin dual core G5s can have up to 16 gigs of ram. I do not think that apple will go backwards here ram-wise when they bring out Intel G5s.

Smooth Operator - It seems that Adobe are keeping pretty tight lipped about the whole Rosetta emulation thing and what sort of performance hit there may be. I think for the moment it is just a wait and see situation.

spmonahan
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
i thought xp only held 2gb of ram and needed the 3gb switch to access more ie 3gb...?

I googled "windows xp ram limit" and found a few articles and forum posts that indicated 4GB. I don't actually have a computer with 4GB of ram so I really can't say definitively. If you need oodles of ram with XP you can always get x64.

halo
01-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Guys,

On the ram issue, the current twin dual core G5s can have up to 16 gigs of ram. I do not think that apple will go backwards here ram-wise when they bring out Intel G5s.

Smooth Operator - It seems that Adobe are keeping pretty tight lipped about the whole Rosetta emulation thing and what sort of performance hit there may be. I think for the moment it is just a wait and see situation.

I think apple and adobe are staying quite tight lipped on quite a few aspects and its sad to see that the industry journalism hasn't given them the grilling they deserve. Its understandable that they aren't voluteering certain info because if they dont pull this one off theres not many reasons left why apple is favourable over a PC. (and i say that as someone that likes apple and buys them even though i have a studio stacked with pcs...and have done for almost well over a decade)

smoothoperator
01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
What I'm surprised about is Steve Jobs said it himself on the macworld keynote while demo-ing PS on the intel imac that for regular users and not professionals the performance is good. So for professional users that push the limit using PS it won't be as good?? I was surprised to hear it on his keynote. And chances are Adobe was freaking too at hearing it. Besides...from what I understand the G5 IMB processor is up to par with the Intel proc. Ex: Intel Core Duo Imac 2.0 is 2x faster then Imac IBM G5 2.0..because there's 2 chips. DUH.
Also...dell is offering laptops with the core duos with 17 inch displays and nvidia cards. Why is Apple always behind???
Which probably means the next workstation chips would be the same as the IBM counterparts. Either way I don't think I'll wait for the intel chip workstations. 1- the perfomance difference won't be that different. 2-the apps running rosetta won't be as fast as they should be. At least until late 2007.
:)
And what the hell are they waiting for concerning thier cinema displays??? drop the price already and get the new lcd's panels! urghhh

aliciasuggs
01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I am just now getting into adobe photoshop but i will be getting into matte painting for digital sets what hardware would you suggest maybe the G5?

opus13
01-18-2006, 03:58 AM
yeh, my g5 holds 4gb of ram...i really am looking forward to working with 8gb in ram on my next machine...i dont really care about the os anymore...osx is just as pants in some areas as xp now.

Thatís 2gb/3gb per process, of which each open application is a process. XP supports 4gb total, and XP64 supports more than any of us can afford.

opus13
01-18-2006, 04:01 AM
I am just now getting into adobe photoshop but i will be getting into matte painting for digital sets what hardware would you suggest maybe the G5?

your operating system preference is of much more importance than the actual hardware these days. if you like the look/feel of macs, get one. if XP seems fine to you, then go with that.

at the same price point, you will get a comparable machine from any vendor. just get something comfortable. take the time to go to both an apple store and a PC shop. play with the machines --just dont talk to a sales person anywhere beyind asking abou the price. in either place they will say anything to get you to buy something.

halo
01-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Thatís 2gb/3gb per process, of which each open application is a process. XP supports 4gb total, and XP64 supports more than any of us can afford.

thats the problem...2-3gb isn't enough...infact 4 isn't...8-12 would suit me well. Ram's cheap...thats about £1500...a mere drip in the ocean considering the amount of money spent in PS at the studio here.

opus13
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
i fully agree, but limits are limits. with luck apple will finally get a full 64 bit system running soon, and xp64 will gain the driver support it needs.

after that, the limitations will only be how many dimm slots are in your machine, and how much cash is in your wallet :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.