PDA

View Full Version : New Teaser for Happy Feet

SheepFactory
01-11-2006, 04:51 PM
http://engeland.us/elijah/layout/special/happy_feet_teaser.MOV

Enjoy.

r2ind
01-12-2006, 06:13 AM
It's not completly new. It is the same teaser/preview that is playing in IMAX 3D. The only difference is the title at the end.

PieterVH
01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Awful. Absolutely awful. Looks like some crappy mime in a penguin suit.

Bleh.

Total waste of good money. But hey, don't let that stop anyone from watching it and rot their brain.

PieterVH
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
There. That felt good.

Solothores
01-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I am gonna happily rot my brain then!

Cheers
Solo

chrisWhite
01-12-2006, 05:59 PM
I am gonna happily rot my brain then!
Agreed, I think this looks excellent and am really looking forward to it. :bounce:

EpShot
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
more happy brain rotting here.

vrljc
01-13-2006, 03:14 AM
I am gonna happily rot my brain while knocking my happy feet against it! So there!

I hope this film does well...another feature animation is ALWAYS good for this industry.

JDex
01-13-2006, 03:21 AM
How charming. It looks good, time will tell if it is good. I hope it is.

swardson
01-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Im looking forward to this...

its nice to see a trailer that doesnt give away the plot, yet makes me want to see more just to see what its about.

And man, that scenery looks friggen awesome.

Anyone know who is doing this flick???

-Brad

spikkel
01-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Anyone know who is doing this flick???

-Brad

I think Animallogic in Aus did it.

Yep, looks like it. http://www.animallogic.com/news/index.html

opus13
01-13-2006, 07:25 AM
its nice to see a trailer that doesnt give away the plot

i thought it was akin to lord of the dance on ice. no joke. i saw the teaser teh first time around and didnt think tere was actually a story to it, just songs and dances.

PieterVH
01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I am gonna happily rot my brain while knocking my happy feet against it! So there!

I hope this film does well...another feature animation is ALWAYS good for this industry.

To be perfectly honest, I don't necessarily agree. Today, it almost feels like there's a severe case of CG diarrhoea. Sure this generates in the short term a lot of jobs and revenue, but in the long term I'm afraid people are going to grow sick of seeing, all the time, the same stories and shiny eyecandy and shoddy plots. As if studios feel that they don't have to make GOOD movies any more, because it al looks sooooooo darn cool. Which unfortunately I don't think it does, even. And why bother if that goes down with the people anyway? I just think it's a really sloppy and easy way of doing things. And I find it -personally- mindnumbingly boring. Hopefully this will not lead to people not being able to take animation the least bit seriously any more. Already it is looked at as "something for the kids"... and NOT because it's cute and colourful, but there's not much in it - both in terms of content and visuals - to challenge the mind, is there? While IMHO animation is one of the most potentially powerful media on the planet.

But then again, I realise there's a lot of work by a lot of people involved in this and I do respect that. I just find it a bit sad that all that is being spent on something that seems so hollow...

slaughters
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
i thought it was akin to lord of the dance on ice. no joke. i saw the teaser teh first time around and didnt think tere was actually a story to it, just songs and dances.Into the world of the Emperor Penguins, who find their soul mates through song, a penguin is born who cannot sing. But he can tap dance something fierce!

>>> IMDB Link <<< (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366548/)

My impression from the trailer and plot summary is that the movie will be an uplifting story about a character overcoming their handicaps. About how it can not only be OK to be different from others, but how that difference can sometimes lead to success. Sounds like the kind of movie that will appeal to all but the most jaded and sour.

....Sure this generates in the short term a lot of jobs and revenue, but in the long term I'm afraid people are going to grow sick of seeing, all the time, the same stories and shiny eyecandy and shoddy plots...Kind of like how people have gotten so tired of all those old 2D animations because they grew sick of seeing 2D all the time?

P.S. You didn't even know the plot - yet you called it "shoddy"? You do not know the story, yet claim it is the same as all the other 3D movies?

PieterVH
01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Kind of like how people have gotten so tired of all those old 2D animations because they grew sick of seeing 2D all the time?

Nope. Because the movies became crap and boring. 3D still has the novelty-advantage now. Once that's gone, who knows? 2D is far from dead by the way. Maybe for mainstream feature animation it might be off the radar for a while, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of lost art.

P.S. You didn't even know the plot - yet you called it "shoddy"? You do not know the story, yet claim it is the same as all the other 3D movies?

Penguins singing and tap dancing. Penguins. Singing and tap dancing. Why?? If you want to tell a story about being different using penguins, sure, go ahead, but why not start by exploring your subject instead of slapping some human characteristic on a creature that is convenient to construct in CG? Sounds like a gimmick, not a compelling story. And look at the darn thing. Rarely seen anything as lifeless as that. Apart from that Hoodwinked thing. Maybe.

Anyway, all of this is merely personal and my opinions are not necessarily those of others, but if that movie comes out and it turns out to be brilliant, I will go and see it 5 times and publicly invite you ALL to come spank my virtual butt. And you can quote me on that.

slaughters
01-13-2006, 06:08 PM
....why not start by exploring your subject instead of slapping some human characteristic on a creature that is convenient to construct...Because that would be like some kind of boring nature show?

You probably disliked Lion King for the same reasons (arbitrary human characteristics assigned to animals). Or maybe you've just grown out of this genera of film. It happens to some people. It's not until you have kids that you start getting back into enjoying it again.

PieterVH
01-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Because that would be like some kind of boring nature show?

That is not what I meant. I said if you want to make a penguin movie about being different - go right ahead. I have NO problem or issue with that.

But if and when you choose to use penguins (or any other theme/setting), try doing some research on them. What would a "different" penguin look and act like? And translate that to story and animation so it makes some clever sense. Be creative. But sing and tap dance? Using motion capture as well?? See what I'm trying to get at?

You probably disliked Lion King for the same reasons (arbitrary human characteristics assigned to animals). Or maybe you've just grown out of this genera of film. It happens to some people. It's not until you have kids that you start getting back into enjoying it again.

Excuse me for saying so, but that's a gross abstraction of the point I was trying to make. The Lion King makes sense to me because it deals with a human type hierarchy which can be translated to the animal kingdom whilst making total sense. That's far from arbitrary.

Bug's Life. Loved it. Also a movie about "being different". About standing out in a homogenous society. And what better metaphore than an ant hill? The wasps as the bad guys? Makes sense. Story, characters, setting, it all fits together and is wonderfully executed. Love it.

Seen the Ant Bully trailer? That I don't like. Poor mimicking of both Bug's Life AND Antz in terms of comedy and style, with some "cool" themes slapped on top of it. I think it's cheap, boring and totally horrendous.

PieterVH
01-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Anyway, all of this is merely personal and my opinions are not necessarily those of others, but if that movie comes out and it turns out to be brilliant, I will go and see it 5 times and publicly invite you ALL to come spank my virtual butt. And you can quote me on that.

So same for Ant Bully.

;)

Redz
01-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Something stinks in this thread, and it isn't the movie. Pieter, you realize that some people may take your words personally, having invested time in something that you obviously have no clue about. Maybe you should do your homework before defecating in our forum.

It seems like you have no solid opinion on this film, and that you are just ranting. we should all be constructive and supportive, though, we are all entitled to our opinions.

PieterVH
01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Something stinks in this thread, and it isn't the movie. Pieter, you realize that some people may take your words personally, having invested time in something that you obviously have no clue about. Maybe you should do your homework before defecating in our forum.

It seems like you have no solid opinion on this film, and that you are just ranting. we should all be constructive and supportive, though, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Hi Redz,

Yes I do realise that, that's why I wrote

But then again, I realise there's a lot of work by a lot of people involved in this and I do respect that. I just find it a bit sad that all that is being spent on something that seems so hollow...

Yes I DO have a solid opinion about this film, unfortunately at this time, based on what I've seen it is not a very positive one and I do try to tell you all why that is. Yes, you are all entitled to your opinions, which I've literally stressed. And so am I. Granted, my first reaction was a bit blunt, and if anyone feels offended by that I do apologize. Believe me, I know very well how much work goes into that sort of thing but that does not mean I have to like it or shut up if I don't.

Anyway, let's continue to try to be constructive here, as you yourself pointed out, so what homework would you suggest I do?

Sbowling
01-16-2006, 12:16 AM
The CG looks a billion times better than Hoodwinked, the story... maybe not. Somehow, tap dancing and singing penguins sounds... dumb. I think I would rather watch a "boring" nature show.

Singing penguins?!?

Joss
01-16-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm with SBowling and PieterVH.

Please tell me there's more to this film than the dancing. :shrug:

I was half expecting to see an Orca Whale jump out of the water and... umm, nevermind.

EpShot
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
PieterVH: go watch "march of the penguins" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428803/) Penguins Use the sounds of their calling or "song" if you will, to identify eachother when one of the parents has to go to the ocean to get fish. So it does actauly have soemthign to do with the way penguins mate. They don't actualy know what penguins look for in a mate, but it is something specific, and could very well be the sound.

either way, i still don't knwo what your problem with the movie is, particuraly after jsut watching two TEASERS, and reading a 2 sentance synapsis of the film.

eek
01-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Hats off to AL, its by far the best cg looking feature ive seen bar cars.

Rahul -well done mate. Its looking really amazing! Ill try and catch u on msn soon.

eek

PieterVH
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
www.parcelforce.co.ukPieterVH: go watch "march of the penguins" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428803/) Penguins Use the sounds of their calling or "song" if you will, to identify eachother when one of the parents has to go to the ocean to get fish. So it does actauly have soemthign to do with the way penguins mate. They don't actualy know what penguins look for in a mate, but it is something specific, and could very well be the sound.

either way, i still don't knwo what your problem with the movie is, particuraly after jsut watching two TEASERS, and reading a 2 sentance synapsis of the film.

Have you actually read all my posts or just the first one?

But thanks for the tip. That one has been on my movies-to-watch list for some time now.

colkai
01-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm with PieterVH on the POV regarding the penguin animation.

Yes, it's funny & cute, yes a hi-larious concept. But when I see the teaser and see the range of motion that little fella gets his legs into, it doesn't "read" so much like a penguin as a man dancing in a penguin suit. I dunno, I just see Gene Kelly in a fat suit for some reason. ;)

I think the point people are choosing to miss here is rather baffling as it's often quoted as one of the primary things to do when constructing a character. Observe the real thing, it's skeletal and muscular structure, it's range of motion etc... use that as a basis for the animation.

Now granted, not seen many dancing penguins myself, but those wide leg stretches seem way off. I could pretty much guarantee if someone posted their own WIP animation of say a human creature whos legs got into positions that were that out, there would be a huge flood of posts to make such a point. Stating, no doubt, that the person needs to study the subject more.

Now does it matter? If you say no and that it should be just enjoyed, one has to temper any future critiques accordingly. Either the rule holds fast for all, or none. It's not about having a "Nature programme" but about range of movement, anyone every see 'maul on ice' from the gallerie abominate? :p

As to if the film will be funny / successful, let's face it, that normally has very little to do with the quality of animation. I mean come on, how successful are the Barbie DVD's? :twisted:

Shaderhacker
01-16-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm also with Pieter on his opinions that the trailer doesn't show much substance to the storyline. But it would be foolish to assume that that represents the whole movie! I would also be a little brash to make "frank" comments on it, so I won't.

The animation was good and the lighting/texturing was very good. Congrats on the technical aspects of the trailer!

I'll reserve judgment for the story when I've seen more.

-M

EpShot
01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
"the trailer doesn't show much substance to the storyline"

its doesn't show ANY substance of the storyline.. its a teaser.
the plot has already been posted several times. so don't be looking at the teaser for it.

PieterVH, yes, ive been readign your posts in both threads. My main point is you seem to be drawign too much conclusion from 2 teasers. i'll admit the animation could read a bit better, but honestly i don't have any big problems with it. "better" does not mean bad. nor ever "less than acceptable". maybe i jus tlove expression in song and dance. and enjoy dancing myself very much. but i really am lokoign forward to this concept. i can understand beign less than enthusiastic. but i still say you are shooitng it down prematurly.

ReBootedOne
01-17-2006, 02:17 AM
I think it looks cute. :D

-eric

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.