PDA

View Full Version : Textbooks?

raylistic
01-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi, i am new to adobe after effects and is there any textbook in the market for beginners? i hope anyone of you can reccomend a good one to me cause i got a hard time finding it.

Mylenium
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi, i am new to adobe after effects and is there any textbook in the market for beginners? i hope anyone of you can reccomend a good one to me cause i got a hard time finding it.

Try the Chris and Trish Meyer "Creating Motion Graphics in After Effects" books. They are still the most comprehensive and easily understandable ones.

Mylenium

raylistic
01-12-2006, 12:31 AM
alright thanks! How about the classroom series? Are they good?

Aneks
01-12-2006, 02:26 AM
I found the class room books good for begining with. But if you are looking for a book on vfx compositing with ae. I recommned this book :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321316207/qid=1137032608/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-6775976-1067940?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

after effects 6.5 studio techniques by Mark Christiansen

Fess
01-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey,

I was going to post a relative thread like this, I see someone's already ahead of me.

I'm looking for study material also:

classroom series: got mixed reviews

Creating Motion Graphics in After Effects : Is this for beginners and will it help you learn the interface? I'm not really interested in making crazy effects yet. I just want to get to know the tools and workflow techniques.

after effects 6.5 studio techniques : Is this for beginners?

Total Training DVD's : expensive price tag for this, does anyone have any experience with these DVD?

:curious:
Fess

Mylenium
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
classroom series: got mixed reviews

Not that great. After it you're just as confused as before.

Creating Motion Graphics in After Effects : Is this for beginners and will it help you learn the interface? I'm not really interested in making crazy effects yet. I just want to get to know the tools and workflow techniques.

That's exactly what they do. Not only do they explain AE's inner workings rather well, but some compositing tricks and technical aspects as well (blend modes, aspect ratios etc.). I really think they are the best you can get.

after effects 6.5 studio techniques : Is this for beginners?

Can't remember exactly. Only had them in my hands once.

Total Training DVD's : expensive price tag for this, does anyone have any experience with these DVD?

They are very well done (kinda like the Meyer books as a DVD version) but if you're short on money, go for the books. I'd only get the DVDs if you want to figure out a specific thing that you cannot grasp from the books.

Mylenium

Fess
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Mylenium,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'll look into "Creating Motion Graphics in After Effects " & total training.

Regards
Fess

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.