PDA

View Full Version : Toon rig eyes

Nervio Optico
01-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Hello there:
I am searching the best way to rig cartoon eyes, pretending that could be oval eyes and have to deform to, any sugestions. Thanks

Joe.

aforetaste
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
In the docs (included with Messiah) do a search on doll eyes.
There's a great material shader that will work wonders.
There is even some included scenes using the doll shader to pull apart and see how they are doing it.

Doll eyes works on a sphere (3D).
Where you talking about 2D?

JoeCosman
01-12-2006, 01:04 AM
I think what he means is that the eyeball can change shape. if you just want an oval shape, you can parent the eye to a bone and scale that bone up on one axis. for more complex deformations(i.e. Veggie tales) you need to get more complex, like using spherize, bulge, and Xform to change the shape. I should have a test scene up for you soon.

-JoeC

Nervio Optico
01-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks JoeC:

I mean a 3D eye that can defrom and rotate, the way that cartoon do.
I been work this by morphtargs but shure is not the best way.

Joe

MLMckenzie
01-12-2006, 03:17 PM
JoeC,

I'm addicted to your training CD's, and can't wait to see what you post for the toon eyes rig. As a complete noob in Messiah, I don't know what I would do without your tutorials. (I have the Rigging1 and Animation discs so far)

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a question or three about your new Mini Tutorials 2 CD. I notice that it mentions modeler. Is lightwave required to do some of the lessons? Also, for using morphblender (as I did in the Face Rigging tut) can I use another modelling program to create my morphs? I don't have lightwave, but I do have XSI, and Silo. Messiah seems to prefer .lwo files, but I have had some success with .obj files (but I still have to figure out how to keep seperate parts of the model from coming in as one mesh??) Anyway, just wanted to ask before I feed my addiction with another purchase. :thumbsup:

I'll be asking alot more questions, so I'll stop here for now.

JoeCosman
01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
JoeC,

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a question or three about your new Mini Tutorials 2 CD. I notice that it mentions modeler. Is lightwave required to do some of the lessons? Also, for using morphblender (as I did in the Face Rigging tut) can I use another modelling program to create my morphs?

I'll be asking alot more questions, so I'll stop here for now.

any program that writes out models in the right vertex order will work. that's pretty much everything on the market, even Wings3d. by vertex order, I mean that your morph target will have the exact same ID numbers on it's mesh as the original mesh.

and speaking of morphs... here is a good example of Toon Eyes.

change to .prj once downloaded.

Explanation:

in order to get a proper deform with Xform, you must separate the eye into it's own model. from here, you should create a morph target for that eye. the morph target will be the thing driving the deformations, not the eye model.

set up Xform with a procedural or metaEffector to get a nice gradient on your eyemorph.
attach the procedural or meta to Xform and test it out.

Add your eye to a skeleton effect(it doesnt work if you just want to move the object)

Add Morphblender to your original eye model, and make the Eyemorph a cluster. set up a slider and set it to 1.

your done! use the Xform to warp the eye, and the rest of the heirarchy is all set.

hope this helps you out.
-JoeC

Nervio Optico
01-13-2006, 07:59 PM
JoeC

I tried but when I decompres tells me there`s nothing or its damaged, I downloaded 3 times,
meave if you can post again.

Thanks

MLMckenzie
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
As JoeC mentions above, after downloading change the extension to .prj instead of .zip.
Do not try and unzip it. (also I had to use .mpj instead of .prj)
waii
However Messiah still said the file was missing something, but it still openned.

understanding what I was looking at is a whole 'nother story :scream:

aforetaste
01-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Hmmm...
MLMckenzie, I'm doing (I believe) exactly what you're saying and I can't get it to work either. Window's continues to think it's a zipped file even after renaming it.

Messiah won't even touch it.

Parsec3d
01-14-2006, 01:38 AM
if you have "hide extensions for know file types" turned on you have no way of knowing if you have renamed a file or not,, go to the top of your window and in Tools>folder Options>View set that option off then you will c that you just made a file that says:

xxxxxxxx.prj.zip

hope this helps

JoeCosman
01-14-2006, 01:42 AM
yeah.. something went wrong. I double checked by downloading it to my laptop, and it was asking for a model. It should be fixed now, so give it a check.

rename it to .mpj and it should be good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.