Pre-Loader in a loaded movie ,
i mean i know how to set up a preloader for a flash,
but my technique is to make seperate SWFs and link them on
whit a loader at the starting of each ,
is this ordinary or not?
For example i have a "X" movie and in this movie after clicking
a button , new pro will start wich is still unloaded ,
what i have to do to have a pre loader inside of my "X" movie
to load that new pro, not to load a new SWF.
don't laugh , i know how to do it too! ...but the point is
is you set the new pro preloader to load for example 20 frames
after , the loader will not jump to that frame whithout loading
the middle frame.
Am I right or not ? please help...Thanx.

Armin,

Per-Anders
11-28-2002, 08:33 PM
the getBytesLoaded nd getBytesTotal functions get the values for any movie... so you can work out how much is to be loaded from teh parent movie... i.e.

myclip.loadMovie(blahh blah blah);
if (myclip.getBytesLoaded()==myclip.getBytesTotal()) {
do whatever... probably play the movie clip, and hide the preloader
}

anyhow that's obviously not real script, but you get the idea. you can contorl the preloader in the same way if you're not already (i.e. never ever e ver use the getframesloaded method... don't follow anyone's advice that ever thinks this is a good way to go, for ages that was the only method i saw on teh web, and i wept every time it was shown, in the end i went onto the macworld forums and posted a long thread with the correct way of doing preloaders and a rant... don't get me started... grrr!!!)

Ian Jones
11-29-2002, 01:55 AM
mdme_sadie: I didn't know there was a problem with the GetFrames method... does it stuff up sometimes? I'm not arguing against you or anything.. I've only ever done a pre-loader once so I'm just curious. Can you plz enlighten me to the technicalities of it?

My initial guess is that it has something to do with the way Flash interprets a frame as loaded... eg you may get to frame 50 which has a huge file on it that hasn't finished downloading yet, and Flash reads it has gotten to frame 50 and categorizes it as 'loaded'. Is that it?

mohh
11-29-2002, 03:19 AM
Frames is flawed because you might have a huge sound file on frame 99 out of 100 , for example, and your preloader would just stay there until it was loaded. If you go with the bytes, you get a true representation of the files download progress.

proton
11-29-2002, 02:13 PM
I will be uploading a movie with a preloader in it soon.....hope it helps...

Ian Jones
11-30-2002, 12:36 AM
aah, ok.. of course... it makes sense now. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.