PDA

View Full Version : Full Body IK

BjG
01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
I want to make some animation test wit the new FBIK in Maya 7. I have three question:

1. Can I use custom controller to pose the character or do i have to use the effectors? Because they don't look very nice for an animator ...

2. Workflow? Because FBIK poses automatically a lot of joints I normally use "Key All" or "Key Body Part". Do I?

3. Fine Tuning: After Posing and Timing I do my animation curve adjustments (like ease in, ease out). FBIK rotates a lot of joints and I don't know directly wich ones (Because I've keyed all). Is there a trick or tip?

4. I don't understand the description of "stepped next" in the Maya help (O.k. i understand the difference between normal stepped tangents and stepped next, but what ist my advantage).

I hope some experienced animator/td/etc. can give me a clue to some points.
Thanks a lot

BOSAH
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I too would be interested in answers to these questions. From my own experiences with FBIK stepped tangents are pretty much uselesss for tweaking. The automatic character setup is nice though, particularly for generating reusable clips of the body parts. Because of the limitations on controls what I've been doing is; create a really basic FBIK rig, add effectors, and then add additional bones and controls to the hierarchy (for clavicle rotation, eye jitter, even spline IK for the back, though that can get 'iffy'), basically create an additional rig ontop of the FBIK rig for tweaking really. I'm not a pro animator though, I bet there are better ways.

wilgory
01-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Well glad that somebody beat me to starting this thread. Perhaps we could get some community members to post any links, guides, tutorials on the internet to help simplify this relatively new process of character setup and FB IK animation.
I wanted to do a very quick test, so I imported the Sample BiPed character into the scene and deleted the FBIK and repositioned the bones to match my 12 foot monster.

While BjG presented many of the questions that I also am interested in learning more about, I am still confused, can I add my own rigging / keying techniques for the fingers, back, etc. I see that the FullBody IK adds a character set (head, hips, leftArm, etc..) perhaps all of the keying should be done with these sets. I'm not sure. I tried to animate my character and I completely broke the rig after the third pose (head thru arm, etc), but perhaps I didn't key everything that should have been keyed.

Also would it be possible to include a switch that would be similar to IK/FK switch, that would be an IK / FK / FBIK switch? so I can blend different types of animation, when one would be easier for a certain shot? If so any pointers, tips, books, videos on this subject.

Thanks
-Greg

M.E.L.
01-13-2006, 09:31 PM
1. Can I use custom controller to pose the character or do i have to use the effectors? Because they don't look very nice for an animator ...

This entirely depends on your output. If it's film, sure you can probably get away with attaching controls to the FBIk system. If it's games output, well... it gets tricky because you're either exporting the animation data baked onto the controls or baked to the joints/ik.

2. Workflow? Because FBIK poses automatically a lot of joints I normally use "Key All" or "Key Body Part". Do I?

You can use key all on your controller, remember that with FBIk you're no longer needing to set entire keychain keyframes here. You're simply setting keys on your wrist effector to pull the character, no need to set keys on your shoulders etc unless you wish to offset them.

3. Fine Tuning: After Posing and Timing I do my animation curve adjustments (like ease in, ease out). FBIK rotates a lot of joints and I don't know directly wich ones (Because I've keyed all). Is there a trick or tip?

When you're setting keys, just watch what you are affecting to reach a pose. You're gonna obviously see a lot of keys and curves in the editor when using the Key All approach but provided that your joints are named in an organized fashion you should be able to sift through fairly easily to find the data you need.

4. I don't understand the description of "stepped next" in the Maya help (O.k. i understand the difference between normal stepped tangents and stepped next, but what ist my advantage).

I've never really found any benefit to the "stepped next" bit, though I don't really animate much myself so I'm probably not the best person to speak in that regard.

In response to the FbIk/FK portion the answer is a direct No. FBIK isn't a solution meant for blending of animation between Ik and Fk, it's a solution implemented for the people looking to create their own mocap type animation data. For anyone who has ever used MotionBuilder itself, this is the skeleton you get with it, the effectors represent your typical "hot spots" you'd find on a motion capture based rig. Implementing an FK blend on a Full Body Ik system would not be a wise choice ;)

-s

Razr
01-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Although it presents ingtriguing options FBIK is primarily for mocap data. I've concluded it's inclusion in Maya 7 as a first step to [hopefully] a more fully-developed animation system such as Motionbuilder. For pure keyframe-type workflow it is not recommended as things can get confusing very quickly. Manipulating keys through the graph editor becomes nearly impossible as every controller is connected to an upstream/downstream hierarchy.

I'm still waiting for Maya to offer a non-destructive animation layering system (like Motionbuilder).

BjG
01-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the answers. It seems like FBIK in Maya is yet not very well implemented ...
I also have problems with copy and pasting keys. I pick the desired Character Set and copy and paste through the timeline. The result was strange ...

nielsroscher
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you for your answers. I've been experimenting with the FBIK myself and been asking myself the same questions.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.