PDA

View Full Version : KVM switch question USB/PS2/keyboard etc

nitindesign
01-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok so I have 2 desktops and one laptop. On the laptop only USB connection for mouse and keyboard is possible as it does not have PS2 mouse port.

I want to use just one USB keyboard and one USB mouse between all three systems to keep the workspace tidy and for ease of use.

Does a USB KVM switch like that exist ?

Secondly you know some devices like USB keys etc need to be ejected "stop/eject usb key..." via the taskbar to prevent damaging the connected USB product.

Does the same ejecting of the device not apply to USB components like keyboard, mouse etc? Does the constant switching between systems via the KVM switch not damage them?

Thanks

SweetDreamz
01-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/)

lots
01-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I would suggest the same :)

I run 6 monitors at work off two machines (4 dispalys on one, and two on the other) and one keyboard/mouse set.

Its really quite nice :)

prixatw
01-12-2006, 01:53 PM
If you still want a hardware solution then this does what you want:

http://www.techland.co.uk/index/adderview_omega

I use an ancient, discontinued Belkin model at home with mixed PS/2 and AT connectors. (I still have a Pentium running :-)

Just one machine on the network, a old Fujitsu celeron, requires to be viewed (switched in) when booting up. The others boot whether they are being viewed or not! Switching between them is seamless, the KVM takes care of the required signals when switching so you shouldn't have to worry about unplugging anything.

nitindesign
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
That Synergy looks interesting but bit over my non-tech head :-) In my hands that would only attract trouble.

Are the hardware based safe to use?

lots
01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Synergy is really quite simple. I was surprised.

On the windows machines it consits of a very easily followed interface with 3 main sections grouped off by a set of boxs. The sections are broken down into Client setup, server setup, and some misc options.

The client setup is pretty easy, a simple one line option, the host to connect to.
The server setup is a tad bit more complicated. It allows you to place each client's monitor relative to the other monitors in the setup via left, right, above, and below drop down boxes. So you simply select a display client that is connected to the server and assign it a location on your desk.

As for the server setup, all I can say is try it out at least. You will get a better understanding of how it works. The server configuration only has a few options, and is pretty easy to understand after a few minutes of tinkering. Its a very simple light program as well, it shouldnt be damaging to your system.

As for KVM switches, they should also not be damaging, though synergy is a much more elegant way of doing this, in my opinoin ;)

If you want some help trying synergy out, shoot me a PM :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.