PDA

View Full Version : subdivision for selections?

MonsterMan
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm modeling a character in zbrush that is now a bit over a million and a half poly's. problem is that i need more geometry to better sculpt the ears and eye's. but if i subdivide any more my performance goes way down and i'm unable to save out my tool anyway. I've tried using projection master but there's just not enough geometry in these areas for it to work right. Is there a way to select certain areas and subdivide that individual selection without affecting the rest of the mesh? if sow that'd be super awesome

-thanks!

marcus-civis
01-11-2006, 11:01 AM
You can do it, but only at the lowest subdivision level. This means either switching to that level or deleting the lower levels. Note also that it will introduce tris into your mesh. Select the area you want to subdivide (by masking or partial mesh visibility) and then press Divide.

If the topology of your model is not important it is a very useful technique. I made a plugin that speeds the process which you might want to check out:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=28045

bls
01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
yes just mask the areas that you want to subdivide(holding ctrl)and then holding again ctrl click on the canvas to invert the mask,then hit subdivide button and clear the mask.

bls
01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
wow Marcus i had missed that plug in.Looks very useful I'll check it out.Thanx!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.