PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and shadow

xvii
01-11-2006, 04:38 AM
Hello, I am a newbie in photoshop, need some help. ^_^
I browse through the gallery and have been wondering how did the artisits do the lighting effect in their work, example the sunlight. And how did they do the shadow cast on the ground, etc ? is it done but painting them or is there a tool to do the effect?

Thanx in advance :)

suztv
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
To answer your question - no there is no automatic way to create a cast shadow. If you are bringing an image an placing it or "Compositing" it into another image - you will have to create your shadow. A lot of PS users simply create a selection based on the object (ctrl-click that layer), create another layer, fill with black, and then distort the shadow, blur and set it to multiply. This is fine for a quick fix but I suggest going further if you are looking for realism. Use your channels, gradients and layers to create realistic shadows. Also don't forget to retouch/enhance the lighting on your image so that the shadow is more believable.

xvii
01-13-2006, 12:56 AM
okok.. thanks.. i will try it :)

what about the lighting effect ? how was it done ? is it the same way as how the shadow was done ?

kraal
01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
an easier way is to darken a copy of the image and place it on top layer. then erase everything but the shadows. Erasing uncovers original image

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.