PDA

View Full Version : THE STREET: Will Disney Buy Pixar?

RobertoOrtiz
01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
"Asked if there was a possibility of a wholesale acquisition of Pixar by Disney, Sanders Morris Harris analyst David Miller said no, adding, "Disney would have to make an enormously compelling offer to Steve Jobs for him to even consider the notion." Miller notes that the lofty price tag on Pixar -- which currently boasts a $6.8 billion market capitalization and would surely demand a hefty takeover premium on top -- would be dilutive to Disney shares."

>>LINK<< (http://www.thestreet.com/_tscrss/stocks/media/10260648.html)

-R

bbossin
01-20-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/la-fi-pixar18jan20,0,5150083.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=widget

my op ed on this purchase is:

Noooooooo! (add sound effect Here)

(Que stirring violins, sounds of birds chirping and brabbling brooks)
Pixar is much more compelling as its own entity, a gleaming city state on a hill in Emeryville if you will. Being absorbed as a feifdom into the haus of maus seems a wee bit... lamer.

(insert dark crescendo)
On a business end it makes sense the for Mickey to ruthlesslly acquire this province for his empire of cartoon capital(Bwhahaha). As Pixar is a publicly traded company, if Disney ponies up the right amount of cash then it will be bought.

Shaderhacker
01-20-2006, 06:42 PM
(Que stirring violins, sounds of birds chirping and brabbling brooks)
Pixar is much more compelling as its own entity, a gleaming city state on a hill in Emeryville if you will.

Bah! This acquistion (if it happens) will be better for both sides of the fence. Disney needs Pixar's creative influence and talent and Pixar needs Disney's marketing and distribution. Combining the two will be a good thing (IMO).

And who says that Pixar won't still do what they normally do up in Emeryville? If anything, I hope they send those awesome story-tellers down to LA to improve some of Disney's stories so that all the films coming out from either camp will be great!

-M

Capel
01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Bah! This acquistion (if it happens) will be better for both sides of the fence. Disney needs Pixar's creative influence and talent and Pixar needs Disney's marketing and distribution. Combining the two will be a good thing (IMO).

And who says that Pixar won't still do what they normally do up in Emeryville? If anything, I hope they send those awesome story-tellers down to LA to improve some of Disney's stories so that all the films coming out from either camp will be great!

-M

this is really well said. i completely agree.... but only if it continues the way it's been going since the beginning. (Pixar having complete creative freedom)

arvid
01-20-2006, 08:54 PM
With Steve Jobs running the show, I don't see it happening in a million years...

...which I think is a good thing.

Shaderhacker
01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
With Steve Jobs running the show, I don't see it happening in a million years...

Well, they wouldn't be putting out all this press if it wasn't at least, being considered. I think we'll k,now something by end of next week (if not earlier).

-M

lestdog
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey, thier relationship has produced some really great work (near perfect) thus far... why not continue what they have/had?

ReBootedOne
01-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Pixar needs to stay free. This is my belief, and I am sticking through it.

-eric

Shaderhacker
01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Pixar needs to stay free. This is my belief, and I am sticking through it.

-eric

They can be free..and still be owned by Disney. Why do you assume that Pixar will suddenly be a slave and have no creative control if Disney buys them?

-M

EvilGnome
01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
They can be free..and still be owned by Disney. Why do you assume that Pixar will suddenly be a slave and have no creative control if Disney buys them?

-M

Disney certainly have a reputation for allowing the higher-ups/marketers/suits to interfere in story.
I don't know if it's true, but there seems to have been a steady stream of "creatives" voicing their dissatisfaction.

I don't know if Disney deserve that reputation though, having never worked for them myself, but I can certainly see why people might have developed that opinion.

Lorecanth
01-20-2006, 11:32 PM

-M

Simple answer, history. If you can catch a doc called Dream on Silly Dreamer and you'll see what disney does to creatives.

arvid
01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, they wouldn't be putting out all this press if it wasn't at least, being considered. I think we'll k,now something by end of next week (if not earlier).

-M
Perhaps they just want some publicity, some rumours and buzz around a possible buy-up. For Pixar, it means (if bought) that a successful co-operation is extended, or (if not bought) that Pixar shows how strong they have become.

I'm not trying to find a conspiracy here :D but it wouldn't be out of character for Jobs to stage something like that :p

Shaderhacker
01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Simple answer, history. If you can catch a doc called Dream on Silly Dreamer and you'll see what disney does to creatives.

People change and others move on to something else (like Eisner did)..that's also history...

-M

Lorecanth
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeah but those corporate f*ck the artists over policy manuals live forever.

mangolass
01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Perhaps they just want some publicity, some rumours and buzz around a possible buy-up. For Pixar, it means (if bought) that a successful co-operation is extended, or (if not bought) that Pixar shows how strong they have become.

I'm not trying to find a conspiracy here :D but it wouldn't be out of character for Jobs to stage something like that :p

That's not a very intellegent conspiracy. If it doesn't come true ~ and Pixar is left standing without a distribution partner for next year's film ~ they will not look "strong" and their stock will go down.

Do you really think at this point in his career Steve Jobs would risk going to jail ~ as well as worrying all his artists, Renderman users, everyone else ~ just to defraud people with a hoax about talks that weren't really happening?

LT

umfridus
01-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Now, if Disney is buying Pixar to be taken over (just like what happened after Apple purchased NeXT), I wouldn't mind a bit. :p

js33
01-21-2006, 05:58 AM
If you can't beat 'em buy 'em!
Yes it would be nice if Disney bought Pixar but became a bigger Pixar than a Disney that owns Pixar. :thumbsup:

Nemoid
01-21-2006, 08:14 AM
I am all for Pixar freedom.

What i actually hope is Pixar going far from Disney style more and more.
Different companies, different style, in storytelling, design, direction
- much was done with the Incredibles -
and this is possible only if Disney doesn't own them at all.

arvid
01-21-2006, 03:45 PM
That's not a very intellegent conspiracy. If it doesn't come true ~ and Pixar is left standing without a distribution partner for next year's film ~ they will not look "strong" and their stock will go down.

Do you really think at this point in his career Steve Jobs would risk going to jail ~ as well as worrying all his artists, Renderman users, everyone else ~ just to defraud people with a hoax about talks that weren't really happening?

LT

Naturally, I don't think anyone in their right mind would risk THAT for anything.
But "THE STREET" is not equal to "actual real world events", and no one can jail you for spreading rumors, at least you'd have a hard time proving who spread it.

So if they don't have Disney as a distributor, are you saying that Pixar would have any problem at all finding a new one?

In fact, how did you expect this to work, as far as we know, Pixar and Disney no longer have any co-operation after the next movie. I don't know about you, but my guess is that they have a plan for what's next, and have had it for ages.
Your theory is that Pixar became shit scared when they realized that no one will distribute their movie and came crawling back to Disney, begging for a merger.

Not a very intelligent theory.

Shaderhacker
01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Your theory is that Pixar became shit scared when they realized that no one will distribute their movie and came crawling back to Disney, begging for a merger.

Not a very intelligent theory.

Agreed. However, Pixar has already stated that they want 100% of the profits of their movies. Well, no distributor is going to agree to that.. not even Disney which is probably the reason for the buyout.

-M

arvid
01-21-2006, 04:55 PM
That doesn't surprise me :) Sounds like something Jobs would boast. On the other hand I don't see why not, they don't really need someone like Disney I believe. Hell, Pixar may even replace Disney's role as an infamous animation company entierly.

mangolass
01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
There's an interesting article today:

CEO of Apple, Pixar could face conflicts of interest (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06023/643014.stm)

"Mr. Jobs could face decisions that intersect with Apple's business far more frequently than at Pixar, a relatively small media company focused only on animated film. People close to the Pixar-Disney talks acknowledge that board-level discussions about Disney's navigation of the digital world would clearly create conflict at times for Mr. Jobs and that he will be expected to recuse himself from sensitive meetings. Some deals, such as Disney's move to sell television shows through iTunes are dealt with at a business-unit level, and don't require board approval, so Mr. Jobs might never have oversight of such decisions.

Yet more strategic Disney moves -- say, a big partnership with Microsoft Corp. or Hewlett-Packard Co., two Apple rivals in technology -- could require Mr. Jobs to take himself out of the mix. Disney has struck partnerships with both companies in the past, including a 10-year strategic alliance with H-P in 2003 that involved a collaboration on digital entertainment. Apple directors, too, might need to take the same steps as their Disney counterparts to ensure that Mr. Jobs recuses himself from board discussions and votes that could favor Disney content, at the possible expense of other content."

So if they don't have Disney as a distributor, are you saying that Pixar would have any problem at all finding a new one?Of course not ~ I just don't believe this is all a hoax/publicity stunt by Steve Jobs based on the idea that Pixar would look "strong" if Disney decided not to work with them.

Your theory is that Pixar became shit scared when they realized that no one will distribute their movie and came crawling back to Disney, begging for a merger.So ~ you are telling me what my theory is??? :shrug: If you want to post your theories, please label them as your theories.

LT

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.