PDA

View Full Version : Possible?

dkHamburg
01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Just got offered the opportunity to write a Script for Texturing in MAya.
The task would be to, have a Procedure that "slaps" the Texture onto the Polygons, but decides on the UV Stretch automatically.
Basicly, an automated smart Texturing ;)
And then you still should be able to adjust it by hand.
Hmmm, my Mel is very rusty, so I ask you Script Maniacs.
Is such a thing out there?
Or how hard would you think it would be?
How much would you take for doing such a Job?
Thanks for your help.

Starrider
01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
i'm not sure what you mean but there are two pelting tools out there:
http://www.digidim.info/index2.htm
and
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/texturing/3869.html
maybe this helps you.

dkHamburg
01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Thank you for that. Seems very interesting. Sorry that I was unclear.
Problem is, I wasnt really sure what they wanted ;)
The Designer kept saying that shouldnt be to hard.
Ok I try again.
They want an Algorhythm, that runs in Maya. You have an untextured Model. You tell him what texture you want on that modell, and now this Script executes and basicly textures the whole by itself "deciding" on how much to stretch or repeat the Texture.
sounds crazy, I know. Just want a few second opinions before I tell them that this is a bit too much to ask, or am I wrong?

Hirni_NG
01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Thank you for that. Seems very interesting. Sorry that I was unclear.
Problem is, I wasnt really sure what they wanted ;)
The Designer kept saying that shouldnt be to hard.
Ok I try again.
They want an Algorhythm, that runs in Maya. You have an untextured Model. You tell him what texture you want on that modell, and now this Script executes and basicly textures the whole by itself "deciding" on how much to stretch or repeat the Texture.
sounds crazy, I know. Just want a few second opinions before I tell them that this is a bit too much to ask, or am I wrong?

Heh, sounds a bit like the "Render beautiful picture"-button. There are good Programs out there who can do an unwrap such as Deep UV etc. It is not trivial to to unwrap that works with most models and still gives the user control. There are also some papers out that tackle this problem, basically any paper that is about a 2D parametrisation of a 3d model can be used to create UV maps...

Starrider
01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
if i get dkHamburg right, he wants to generate textures according to geometry-parameters and nothing with uv-unwrapping.
is that right?

dkHamburg
01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Hirni as well, I know what u mean.
Yes Starrider, youre right. I think what they want is a Tool that looks at normal Directions and size and then does all the UV Planar, fitting and so forth by itslef :) But you must be able to adjust it afterworth, for eventuall corrections.
So, yeah I think they are asking for a lot.
Its for Levels in Game Development, fair enough you need some Time savers, but that (to me) sounds to good to be true, what do u guys say?

Hirni_NG
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Hirni as well, I know what u mean.
Yes Starrider, youre right. I think what they want is a Tool that looks at normal Directions and size and then does all the UV Planar, fitting and so forth by itslef :) But you must be able to adjust it afterworth, for eventuall corrections.
So, yeah I think they are asking for a lot.
Its for Levels in Game Development, fair enough you need some Time savers, but that (to me) sounds to good to be true, what do u guys say?

Ah, yes, to unwrap (unwrap in the context of creating a 2d parametrisation of a 3d surface as needed for any uv texture) a level is not the easiest task. Actually there a techniques to walk the surface and create parametrisations from that walk, but I have not seen something like that in a commercial package, probably because such a technique is not stable for arbitrary geometries.

dkHamburg
01-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Ok my friend you lost me :)
Thanks for the Reply, and hello to the beautifull city of Vienna.
Question is what are arbitrary Geometries?
If I get it right you can see a way lets say C ++, but you do not know if the Script of a Package can do such an advanced thing.
Did I get that right?
Speaking with Programmers at work I get the impression.
So, lets be Clear. Do you guys think that such a Tool can be written in MEL?
It has to evaluate the Size, Direction and Tesselation of an Object and then according to that fit a texture onto that Object, automatically.
All I can think of is a GUI that simplifies the Texturing, but they want something like a Procedure they can run over theire Scenes. I am just curious what you Wizards think of that.
Thanks for all your help, and the daily inspiration ;)

Hirni_NG
01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok my friend you lost me :)
Thanks for the Reply, and hello to the beautifull city of Vienna.
Question is what are arbitrary Geometries?
If I get it right you can see a way lets say C ++, but you do not know if the Script of a Package can do such an advanced thing.
Did I get that right?
Speaking with Programmers at work I get the impression.
So, lets be Clear. Do you guys think that such a Tool can be written in MEL?
It has to evaluate the Size, Direction and Tesselation of an Object and then according to that fit a texture onto that Object, automatically.
All I can think of is a GUI that simplifies the Texturing, but they want something like a Procedure they can run over theire Scenes. I am just curious what you Wizards think of that.
Thanks for all your help, and the daily inspiration ;)

What you want to do is not an easy task for sure...one can do things like that in MEL, all the data needed can be accessed, but if, lets say a 20k model is processed it will be very slow. I once wrote a small exporter in MEL, it was ok for 5k models, but everything above was sloooow as hell, doing advanced operations will slow it down even more.

Generating uv coordinates using projections would be a starting point, if a level has a floor and orthogonal wall for example, a top and side projection can be a starting point to rearrange the uv so there are no intersections....

dkHamburg
01-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks again
Yes I think ure right. To start with the Projection. But I think it is obsolete anyway. There are nice tools helping with the Texturing. But a Procedure to do it automatically, is just to much to ask. Since I am more a Hobby Scripter, and full time Artist. I will tell them i wont do it. I asked them if I should find someone to do it. But they haven treplied, maybe they hoped to get it cheap from me ;)
Thanks for your help, if anything comes up i let u know.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.