PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Selener Demo Reel

Bleen
01-10-2006, 03:25 AM
First of all, I should say it's very satisfactory posting my reel here. I've been working on this reel for quite some time, allways updating it... :wip:

Well, I decided to edit this post with the links to the new version. I've also updated my website. I'd love to hear some crits!

Here's some links to my reel, in different formats:

(http://www.pabloselener.com.ar/PabloSelener_reel_05-2006.wmv)MPEG4 (http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/reel/Pablo_Selener_reel_11-2006.mp4)

(http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/reel/Pablo_Selener_reel_11-2006.wmv) Windows Media (http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/reel/Pablo_Selener_reel_11-2006.wmv)

Quicktime, Sorenson 3 (http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/reel/Pablo_Selener_reel_11-2006.mov)

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JriBRzcXyh4)

Just some screenshots so you know more or less what you'll find:

http://www.pabloselener.com.ar/Screenshots.jpghttp://www.pabloselener.com.ar/screenshots.jpghttp://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/screenshots.jpg

http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/%7Epablo/Shot_breakdown_03-2006.jpg

And a link to my website (http://www.pabloselener.com.ar/) :D

C&C VERY welcome! Don't be afraid to critique anything!

Thanks for watching!

cblazer
01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Bravooo Pablo!!! :scream: :applause:. I loved watching your reel. It's really impressive. :applause:

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

ragdoll
01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
wooow pretty cool!

this is the first i ever saw the powepuff girls dress like that... :D

ah like chaklit milk! :scream:

-rj

Mike Nuts
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey Bleen, great job on the demo reel! The gundam really turned out nice considering this was it's main purpose right? That mediastation is amazing as well and I love the promos/commercials. I'd give you a job if I had one to offer ;) Good luck! and I hope it will lead to some great jobs!

blurgh
01-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey man ! nice reel :D

especially love the discovery channel thing (child in me)
and your reel has Johnny Bravo in it!!! *jealousy*

nice work, very broad spectrum... out of interest what kind of position do you work in or plan to work in ?

-Darken

Bleen
01-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone! :scream:

Answering to Darken_R,
As you can see I'm kinda generalist... in my local industry there's not much chance of specializing in one area. So I'm trying to show that I'm suited for almost any area. I'm looking for jobs abroad now, since I'm feeling adventurous. I want to experience life in other countries and cultures, and learn how people work abroad.
I'm familiar with different aspects of 3D (hey, I even know some compositing!), and I'm comfortable doing almost every aspect of CG (though I prefer avoiding simulations and rigging if I can).

I'd love to hear some more feedback, come on! don't be afraid to post a word or two! :bounce:

blurgh
01-15-2006, 12:59 AM
hi again !
thanks for the answer :) good luck going abroad, looks like youve got a lot of skills on your side.

watched the reel again.. really liek that opening shot looks beautiful and the little alien was realy nicetoo

i thought the gundam wing part went on peraps a little too long(the second time through)... just an opinion

congratz again !

-Darken

Angel_ad
01-16-2006, 09:43 AM
So your the guy who does the animations for cartoon network , the ones where you turn a cartoon set in to a 3d one, i love them, any ideas who do the ones for toonami? the 'megas xlr' shots are well funny. amyways nice work, no crits

Bleen
01-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Darken_R, thanks for the encouragement. I'm finding it tough to get work abroad since I don't have a work visa :sad: Oh well, nothing's gained whining, I'll just keep trying.
You're right about the gundam part being too long. I've shortened it. I also removed the starry background, since some people advised me to get rid of it... after thinking it for awhile, I realized they were right.
I'm not posting a new version yet, since I only have one new commercial and some minor adjustments. Maybe later.

Angel_ad, just to avoid misunderstandings, I'm not the guy who does those jaw-dropping Cartoon Network 3D environments... but I sure hope I was. This was part of a test that I made in the company I work in. This was just a test, it was never aired. :shrug:
As far as I know, the guys who made the actual id's are those geniouses at Animal Logic.
Anyway, I'm very glad you thought this was the "real thing"! :D

Thanks for the comments!

Bleen
03-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Hello again! I've updated my reel... not much, just made a 1.5 version. :D

Just edited the first post with the updated links.

I'de love to hear some comments on the new version!

Thanks for watching.

deFuria
03-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Awesome work Bleen, everything looks great! I'm glad to see that someone can be a generalist but show that his skills are polished in all of the areas he works in. Good luck with the job search!

Bleen
03-22-2006, 03:14 AM
deFuria, thank you for your kind words... I sure hope I can land one! :)

Ragnar0
03-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Amasing reel. It looks awsome!!!

I loved the Gundam Model I'd love to Animate and play with that model in Motion builder.
It looked soooo amasing!

Bleen
05-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Ragnar0, I haven't visited this thread for some time. Today I opened it to update my reel, and I find your compliment. Thanks! :)

Timewaste
05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Impressive reel, congrats!:thumbsup:
You show a wide range of skills and styles, I like the opening shot and
the shots from "Una pelicula de Huevos" the most. The rest is also very cool stuff,
but I think your reel is a little bit too long, though. Maybe you can cut some stuff
shorter or leave it completely aside (I know, it would be a waste, but I think some
hiring people don't appreciate your work as much as we do...).
Really, I don't mean to be mean, but let me shortly list the shots
(thanks to your excellent overview) which I think could be shorter or cut off completely
(not because they are not good, because they are not AS good as your other stuff):
- Gundam (still too long....although I would love to this in action)
- Video game art test
- Regnum Online
- TNT

Good luck job-hunting!

Bleen
05-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Timewaste, posts like yours are part of what make CGTalk such a great place :)
A zillion thanks for the comments, they make me re-think things I bypassed.

I suspected the reel was a little on the long side, but since I read that reels could be between 3 and 4 minutes long, I "let it slide". Your comment makes me think of re-cutting the reel to 3:00 or maybe even 2:30 minutes.

"Una pelicula de huevos" (I think the english name will be "An eggy film", not sure on that though) premiered on 21/4 in Mexico in 450 theaters or so... I've read some good reviews on mexican online newspapers, and it seems people generally liked it over there. I'm in Argentina, and as far as I know it'll premiere here on December. I think the film will also premiere in Spain and in the US (don't know the dates though).

Regarding the reel-cutting advise:
- Yes, the Gundam is a little long, but I'm at a loss... what should I cut? All the shots seem important... (I've even modelled things that aren't shown on my reel because I already cut some shots!).
- This game art test is quite recent... the building took ~45 hours in three days (15 work hours per day!), and the newspaper dispenser took 5 hours (11:00 pm to 4:00 am). It was intensive and tough, and because of the deadline, I couldn't polish it as much as I wanted... But I'm quite pleased with the result... and yes, I'm a little biased towards it right now :D. Why do you think it's not as good as the other stuff? Does ir need better lighting? more detailed textures or modelling? Or should I just make the animations run faster and NOT cut it?
- Regnum Online is a game with a very basic engine. I've been thinking of getting rid of the ingame sections (but not of the majority of the character animations).
- I agree that the TNT logo is not a masterpiece, I already got rid of another TNT logo which involved popcorns... maybe this one should go too. Although the particle animation is not that bad to me, maybe you're right regarding the reel's "quality balance".

Again, thanks a lot! You've been really helpful!

mediaramas
07-09-2006, 06:40 AM
hey Bleen! great work on your reel, it really shows you are up to solve any task on a production team, from modelling, texturing and animation

I agree that it`d be better to reorder a few things, keep in mind employers review hundreds of reels all the time so you can`t miss their attention at any time, specially in the first 20 seconds, so I`d rather put your BEST stuff at first

your animations are pretty good but you can only see them on the second half of the reel, if someone who`s looking for animators catches your reel and it starts only with modelling then he`d probably wont get to the animation sequences

I also think it´s way too long maybe but you can leave there it all just considering the best at first and the rest that wouldnt mind if they miss at last

just my thoughts, keep it up!!

Timewaste
07-09-2006, 12:47 PM
1000 Apologies for the 2 months delay, Bleen!!
Somehow I didn't get a notifier mail to your last reply
(or I just have skipped it...) :shrug:

Anyway, if it still matters to you, here you go:
Timewaste, posts like yours are part of what make CGTalk such a great place :)
A zillion thanks for the comments, they make me re-think things I bypassed.
I'm honored, thank you :)
glad, I could help!

I suspected the reel was a little on the long side, but since I read that reels could be between 3 and 4 minutes long, I "let it slide". Your comment makes me think of re-cutting the reel to 3:00 or maybe even 2:30 minutes.
yes, 3 to 4 min can be still acceptable, but from what I have learned, I would say:
the shorter, the better...most "killer" reels are no longer than 1:30 - 2:00 mins

"Una pelicula de huevos" (I think the english name will be "An eggy film", not sure on that though) premiered on 21/4 in Mexico in 450 theaters or so... I've read some good reviews on mexican online newspapers, and it seems people generally liked it over there. I'm in Argentina, and as far as I know it'll premiere here on December. I think the film will also premiere in Spain and in the US (don't know the dates though).
Looking forward to it, thanks for the info...

Regarding the reel-cutting advise:
- Yes, the Gundam is a little long, but I'm at a loss... what should I cut? All the shots seem important... (I've even modelled things that aren't shown on my reel because I already cut some shots!).
tell me about it, it hurts!
I think you don't need to show your rigging and details in closeup. integrate it in your very first shot, where you can see the whole model. makes it more dynamic also.

- This game art test is quite recent... the building took ~45 hours in three days (15 work hours per day!), and the newspaper dispenser took 5 hours (11:00 pm to 4:00 am). It was intensive and tough, and because of the deadline, I couldn't polish it as much as I wanted... But I'm quite pleased with the result... and yes, I'm a little biased towards it right now :D. Why do you think it's not as good as the other stuff? Does ir need better lighting? more detailed textures or modelling? Or should I just make the animations run faster and NOT cut it?

I don't know how fast/skilled your modeling/texturing is. but generally, a three days work is not worth 24 sec of your reel! I spent several weeks on that timespan for my reel. besides, you already proved your modeling/texturing skills, i.e. with your self portrait and Gundam.

- Regnum Online is a game with a very basic engine. I've been thinking of getting rid of the ingame sections (but not of the majority of the character animations).

then state it! display some information like poly count/texture size, to show how great you can model/texture even with minimal resources. the character animations are fine, imho.

- I agree that the TNT logo is not a masterpiece, I already got rid of another TNT logo which involved popcorns... maybe this one should go too. Although the particle animation is not that bad to me, maybe you're right regarding the reel's "quality balance".

I think "quality balance" is very important, some people may judge you by your weakest part.

Again, thanks a lot! You've been really helpful!
You're welcome, sorry again for the delay!

Radiospank
07-09-2006, 07:26 PM
wow i love the reel man the music was a good fit too.. can i ask what the song was.. also that gundam was awesome are u gonna rig it and let some people use it ;) anyway good job

Bleen
07-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! :love:

your animations are pretty good but you can only see them on the second half of the reel, if someone who`s looking for animators catches your reel and it starts only with modelling then he`d probably wont get to the animation sequences

I also think it´s way too long maybe but you can leave there it all just considering the best at first and the rest that wouldnt mind if they miss at last

Well, if you look at my shot breakdown, you'll see I didn't animate the last shot, only modelled, rigged, and shaded/lighted. So the only animations made by me entirely are the blocky guys in the middle (Regnum Online character animation), and the NGD logo.

I don't consider the Regnum animations top notch, but I think they're good enough for my reel. That's why they're in the middle. Maybe I should move the NGD logo closer to the reel start...

Leaving the reel at 3:00 is not a bad idea thinking about what you said... I'll try to cut whatever's not leveled with the rest though.

Timewaste, you don't have to apologize for the delay, I'm glad if people just reply :)

I think you don't need to show your rigging and details in closeup. integrate it in your very first shot, where you can see the whole model. makes it more dynamic also.

Great idea! I hadn't thought of it... but now thet you mention it, I've seen things like that on other reels. THANKS!

I don't know how fast/skilled your modeling/texturing is. but generally, a three days work is not worth 24 sec of your reel! I spent several weeks on that timespan for my reel. besides, you already proved your modeling/texturing skills, i.e. with your self portrait and Gundam.

You're right, 45 hours aren't worth 24 seconds in my reel. Hadn't thought of it that way. You're also right about it being a little redundant... however, I'll probably leave the section in, since it shows environmental and prop modelling. BUT I'll halve the runtime, maybe getting rid of the wireframes, and unifying the two building shots into one, dividing the frame in two. Maybe this is worth not 24 seconds, but 8 or 10...

Regarding the ingame sections of Regnum online, I'm getting rid of them altogether for the next version (coming this month!). I don't think they're visually interesting.

Plus I'll be needing to cut stuff since I have new works I'll be including in my reel.

I'll also get rid of the camera-in-rollercoaster shot altogether, I realized it was a little too simple.

wow i love the reel man the music was a good fit too.. can i ask what the song was.. also that gundam was awesome are u gonna rig it and let some people use it ;) anyway good job

The song is called "Pepper Strech", by Yoko Kanno.

The Gundam is halfway rigged, and, due to me having a LOT of stuff to do and no physical time to do it (yeah, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy), I won't be completing the rig anytime soon. Sometime I'm planning to not only rig the Gundam, but also texture it by hand (right now it just has a car paint shader applied).

I haven't thought of distributing the model, but the idea's not bad... it'd be nice seeing the model being animated by other people. I'll think about it when I finish it. :)

Again, thanks a lot for the input! it really helps a lot! :thumbsup:

chiquiflita
07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey Great work you have done soo much, congratulations i really enjoyed watching your reel. Are you currently working in Argentina? And if you dont mind me asking how is work over there?

Once again congratulations i really enjoied your reel

Bleen
07-14-2006, 04:11 AM
chiquiflita, thanks for the comment, really means a lot to me :)

Stay tuned for this month's update (coming soon!), I have four new sections and more footage from the egg film. :D

Regarding your question, yes, I'm currently working in Argentina. I'm still looking for a job abroad though (no luck yet... I'd like to think mainly because of the visa issue).

Work over here... this could be a thread of it's own. :p
Argentinean's 3D market is very small. It's composed mainly of commercials, and maybe a movie once in a while. Movie meaning, 2D movies, with some 3D shots or effects.
Teams tend to be small (we were only 4 persons in the 3D team for the egg film!).
Production times tend to be very tight, and usually the quality has to be compromised because of this. :sad:
For me, the market is too small, that's the main reason I'm looking for something abroad, so I can eventually expand and grow. :arteest:
Regarding money, you can make a decent living doing this here, however keep in mind 1 peso = 1/3 of a dollar (a little less actually), so you won't be able to buy commodities easily. Plus inflation's getting worse, and salaries aren't going with it (3D market is not regulated, hence no raise EVER). :cry:
On the plus side, there are not many talented people doing 3D here, so if you're good (and you are), you will be having work (at least until the next economic crisis, which happens more or less once every 10 years... last happened in 2001). :hmm:
It's also ridiculously easy for any foreigner to work here, laws are very lenient and immigration law is very open to any kind of immigration. :cool:
Hope I answered your question. If you still have inquiries, feel free to pm me anytime.
And thank you for your support :wavey:

And i have the slight feeling I went overboard with the emotes :p

Bleen
07-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Hey, guess what? I've updated my reel!

July version is now online! lots and lots of changes, new material... etc.

Refer to the first page of this thread for updated links and new shot breakdown.

And thanks for watching! :applause:

mediaramas
07-23-2006, 06:41 AM
I loved the new stuff, Dexter and sister and the kitchen look amazing

I`d still cut it out a little bit, definitely remove the keyboards and speed up the head spin almost twice, and the egg shot at the end I think is worthy to put it earlier, not at the end

Bleen
07-25-2006, 11:50 PM
mediaramas, thanks for the reply :D

I've cut some fat out of the reel, approximately 1/7 of it. When I watch it now, I think it has a much better pace than before. I think you're right about the head spin, but I'm unsure about the keyboard... I guess that means it has to go too :p:wip:

I'm also thinking about the final shot, maybe I should just put it together with the other egg stuff so it'll be more consistent.

Thanks for your advice, this version is closed, so no further changes will be made to it... but I'll definitely take it into account when making my next reel, which I'll make when I have significant works to add.

In the meanwhile, I'd love getting some more feedback! don't be shy, people! :love:

Timewaste
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey, Bleen!
Once again, awesome work! :thumbsup:
Your new reel is much more dynamic and entertaining! Spiced up by your new scenes and
faster editing, it has a fresh feel to it and a good pace. I really like your Robot Boy and
Dexter's Lab, looks very professional.

I'm really honored to see how you took my advice into account. Turned out great!
And I bet you are more comfortable with that too, aren't you?

Although your new version is final, I have to agree with mediaramas (at least partly):
I can almost smell the long tedious hours you put into your keyboard (great detail btw),
but I think you should get rid of it, it looks a bit out-of-date now.
Yes, and your spinning self portrait could spin a bit faster, but I think not twice as fast.

Not much left to say, congratulations on your strong reel and good luck with your career!:deal:

Cheers.

Peter Chen
07-27-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi there Pablo,

Nice set of work. I really loved some of the characters you have modelled in your reel.

Some of the ones I would definitely keep in the reel if I were you...

- the cartoon network reface test (but with dialogue if possible even if it's not in English)

- The Gundam (however you might want to have him in the same pose as you did in the second spin around moving upwards). I think you can probably push the pose a bit more if the rig allows.

- Robot Boy 3D is good.

- Dexter lab is good apart from the girl which moves a little bit floaty (maybe try playing with the spacing a bit) and is the foot slippery-ness (of the girl) the style you are going for?

- The self portrait is good but a bit too long.

- The animation of the two egg characters with the giant shoes.

These are just the ones which I think are strong in your demo compared to others. This is just my suggestion and I might be wrong though.

Keep up with the excellent work!

Bleen
07-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Timewaste, Peter Chen, thanks for the compliments and crits! :)

I'm really honored to see how you took my advice into account. Turned out great!
And I bet you are more comfortable with that too, aren't you?

Yes I am, thank you for your great advice. The keyboard won't be present on the next version, and the head spin will be faster. I'll probaly have to get rid of more stuff for the next version anyway, since that would mean I have new material :D But the keyboard will be the first thing to go.

Some of the ones I would definitely keep in the reel if I were you...

What do you mean with this? Would you get rid of everything that's not in this list?

- the cartoon network reface test (but with dialogue if possible even if it's not in English)

It is in english, but since it's 2D animation I haven't had anything to do with, I didn't think it was pertinent. Why do you say I should keep the audio?

- Dexter lab is good apart from the girl which moves a little bit floaty (maybe try playing with the spacing a bit) and is the foot slippery-ness (of the girl) the style you are going for?

I didn't set a single keyframe of the animation for Dexter's lab (check my shot breakdown), just modelled, rigged, lighted, shaded and managed the rendering.

- The self portrait is good but a bit too long.

Agree, it will be shorter in the next version :D

Again, thanks for the valuable advice, it really helps! :love:

Peter Chen
07-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Hello again Pablo,

No, I wouldn’t get rid of everything that's not on the list. The list contains the ones which I liked (which is subjective). As for the cartoon network reface test, even though you didn’t animate the piece, I just thought it would be better integrated having the dialogue there. For Dexter’s lab… you are right. My apology for the mistake, I misread.

Peter Chen
07-28-2006, 07:07 AM
DELETE~ sorry, double post.

Bleen
11-20-2006, 03:48 AM
TA-RAAAAA!

Update, update! :)

After some months, I've updated my website and reel, a few new works and some tweaking. Figured I'd update it before moving to the US :scream:

Hope you like it.

See first post for updated links.

And as allways, I'D LOVE to hear feedback! :thumbsup:

Thanks for watching!

tokaru
11-20-2006, 06:47 PM
very interesting and cool jon you got there dude, especilly ilike the huevo carttons.

kimlee
11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I agree that the self portrait is a little bit too long but it's very good job!:thumbsup:

jussing
11-24-2006, 10:35 AM
:thumbsup: Great stuff, I particularly like the dude from your avatar, and the blue-ish spaceship. They don't look like most other 3D graphics you see these days.

Also very nice environments. But yes, I think you should put some kind of break-down in the reel.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Bleen
11-24-2006, 03:52 PM
thanks everybody! :)

kimlee, you really think so? I've shortened the self portrait since last version, now it spins faster... maybe I should make it spin even faster?

jussing, there is a shot breakdown (look in my website or in the first page of this thread). Or are you suggesting I include the shot breakdown in the reel?

Thanks for the comments... does anyone feel the reel is a little long? It's only a tad over 3 minutes, so I sometimes wonder, since a lot of reels are not more than 2 minutes long.
If you do, could you suggest things to cut? right now it's this long because I really don't know what things to leave out of it (and I already left a lot of stuff out!).

Thanks for the invaluable feedback! :love:

Bleen
11-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Just a quick update:

The shot breakdown is no more! :bounce:

Instead, I included details on the reel itself, this will avoid any kind of misunderstanding. I also don't want to give the impression I did everything in all the works in my reel, cause I haven't (and I'm damn proud of it! teamwork rocks!).
Now I'm happy because it's right there on the reel itself :D No need for a separate image or links to my website to know exactly what I did. The bad side of this is that now I have two 50% black bars on every shot :shrug:

On a sidenote, Dexter's lab had to go, unfortunately... :sad:

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2006, 03:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.