PDA

View Full Version : Aopen presents 3d Mouse at CES Las Vegas

daart
01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
The product is targeting all users of 3d software and gamers. The additional buttons serve to navigate along the y,x and z axes.
Interesting concept anyway :)
You can find more information on this german site:

http://www.golem.de/0601/42591.html

chrisWhite
01-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Interesting, I like my Space Pilot (when the driver works...) and you'd be pretty hard-pressed to force my MX Laser out of my hands, this new one doesn't look that conformable.

easy
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
What do you think of the SpacePilot like. I'm thinking about getting one myself. I would like to try it first.

chrisWhite
01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
When it works, it's fantastic, you can move around in full 3D with your left hand taking a lot of the strain off your right hand and speeding up your workflow and it does a great job of that. I love being able to pan, dolly and rotate your camera at once, especially while I can still be working with my right hand and I do notice a difference in how strained my mouse hand is when using it. My problem though, is that the driver sucks, at least for Maya, I've used it on a few different computers and about 50% of the time it will get rid of most or all of the button assignments if you try to change anything. It's really odd to see it happen when it does this, you'll be working in the driver's setup utility, change some button assignments, save them and the functions will literally cascade through the utility blanking out each button one by one. :banghead: I've yet to figure out why it does this or work around it, so my recommendation would be to give it a try and send it back if you have a problem, they seem to have a pretty good policy for returning it if you don't like it.

pearson
01-10-2006, 08:48 PM
14 Free test drive of the Space Pilot:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3b.php

Chris, what version of Maya are you using it with? I've been wanting one of these, but still waiting for the company to upgrade from ver. 4! :sad:

chrisWhite
01-10-2006, 11:07 PM
I've use it with 6 & 7. I've had equal luck with both as well.

The other really little thing that bugs me is that once you install it onto your system it creates a new shelf in Maya with two buttons on it, all fine and good until you go to move the buttons onto another shelf or delete them. When you start up Maya again the shelf reappears whether you like it or not.

Lyr
01-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm evaluating the space pilot at work, I have a spaceball at home. Space Pilot is nice but they really screwed up in not making a left handed version. Reaching the modifier Keys is a total pain in the ass. If you are a lefty forget about the space pilot.

itsallgoode9
01-11-2006, 12:30 AM
I haven't used one, but the thing I don't understand is wouldn't you have to move your hand back and forth to the keyboard to hit the shortcut keys? I like having my left hand on the alt and ctrl buttons all the time cause I can hit pretty much all the shortcuts without moving my whole hand. am I wrong in thinking this?

pearson
01-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I haven't used one, but the thing I don't understand is wouldn't you have to move your hand back and forth to the keyboard to hit the shortcut keys? I like having my left hand on the alt and ctrl buttons all the time cause I can hit pretty much all the shortcuts without moving my whole hand. am I wrong in thinking this?
Hmm. It has Control, shift, alt, and esc on it. It also has 6 customizable buttons. I use the marking menus a ton, but moving the hand for that is probably good for me. The qwert keys might be the biggest annoyance, since I hit those quite frequently...

I'm looking forward to getting one to try out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2006, 12:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.