PDA

View Full Version : KrazyCat Rig Demo

StephG
01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I've put a demo up of a rig I've been working on.
http://www.casadiablos.com/steph/KrazyCatRigshot.jpg

http://casadiablos.com/steph/stephreel.htm
which has both my KrazyCat Rig Demo and my animation reel with a link to my resume.

Or just:
http://casadiablos.com/steph/rigdemo.mov
for the rig demo alone.

The rig features IK/FK arms with multiple "parent switching" options that don't jump on switching, lots of isolation options, stretchy spine, arms, legs and head, "parent switching" for the feet, axis switching for the feet without jumps (with iconic representation of the axes), stretchy ears, and lots of topology control for the head (including the eye shapes, with the pupils still conforming to the eye without distortion). All of it is animateable.

I pretty much put nearly all the features in that I wish I'd had on rigs I've worked with as an animator in the past.

Comments are more than welcome.

rvallet
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow... I wish I had had a cat rigg like that when I did my short (www.rolandvallet.com (http://www.rolandvallet.com)). Beautiful rigg.

Are you planning to share this model :) ? Or is this for a personal project of yours?

Regarding the presentation... it's almost a little too fast sometimes. I have to stop the movie so that I can read what you wrote... but then you do have quite a bit to show, which is probably why you had to go so fast.

Great work!!!

StephG
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Wow... I wish I had had a cat rigg like that when I did my short (www.rolandvallet.com (http://www.rolandvallet.com)). Beautiful rigg.

Are you planning to share this model :) ? Or is this for a personal project of yours?

Regarding the presentation... it's almost a little too fast sometimes. I have to stop the movie so that I can read what you wrote... but then you do have quite a bit to show, which is probably why you had to go so fast.

Great work!!!

Thanks for the props!

It is for a personal project, but mostly I'm looking for work as a junior character TD in LA, so that's my calling card. I might put out a rigging tool some day, but I can't release the model.

I figured if people really want to look at a feature they can stop it and look frame by frame :D

Here's a slower, realtime one with different, more low key music:
http://casadiablos.com/steph/rigdemoLong.mov

It's about 5:30, and 47mb.

SergeAstahov
01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
The rig is absolutely great. I think the speed is really okay, because we should all remember - the ones that need to see one more time or a bit slower, they will simply replay it or will go frame by frame, so it's great.

jakiloblanco
01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Wow! Just looking at this thing gave me so many ideas!!! Thanks sooo much for sharing!!

Looks amazing:D

ntmonkey
01-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Congrats on landing the front page Steph. I know you worked your ass off on this rig and I hope it pays off. I really like how you kept the eyes on the cat despite the fact you can distort his head everywhichaway. Very cool!

peace,

Lu

NolanSW
01-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Kick Ass Steph, Looks like all that hard work paid off. :thumbsup:

Sean

themiragemaker
01-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Wow, very cool stuff. I was looking into applying for a Junior TD position but after seeing your reel, I'll have to check again to see if there's a Senior Toddler TD position.

I agree with others here about the video being pretty fast - it works cos the ones who want to see detail can simply rewind. Everything looks great but my only suggestion would be to put the text against some sort of darker grey transparent background just so it reads easier. It's a little difficult to read now (even when paused) against the timeline numbers, range slider, etc.

Maybe for the next edit you could remove all the UI elements that are not necessary and taking up workspace and then have the white text with the current black stroke outline against a 50% transparent dark grey so it comes through easier.
That would also improve the aliasing of the text and make it read.

Great stuff on the show reel. The only clip (and I'm nitpicking now) is the demo of ear shapes. Some of them looked pretty similar to me. Maybe you could steal some time from there to demo some other parts of the character more. Only the initial bit of the ear demo where it twists slightly. I liked the bit after that where you curve the ears and stretch it in different ways.

Hope to see more from you and good luck with the job search.

forflowers
01-10-2006, 03:26 AM
That rig looks great and fun to play with. Well done

StephG
01-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks. Good suggestion about the text. I thought I'd kind of outlined what I wanted to do in the demo pretty well. Then I started recording it. Damn! Harder than it looks.

The redundant appearing ear things are actually two different sets of controls. One rotates the ear from the bottom, the other twists the ear, so I did one, and then both in combination.

I'll have to figure out what to do with the text to make it more readable in the future. I also might put it on top. Or change the colors in my interface. It was originally a more leisurely pace, more than double it's current length, and it wasn't as much an issue. But believe me, it's better at the current pace ;)

I probably won't do anything with this version of the demo, but the next one will probably have some character interface popups and some other features added to the back control, maybe bendy arms and legs. And facial controls (what's on there now are topology controls which can be used as facial controls to some extent).

Thanks for the props Sean, Lu, Jak, Hawk, rvallet, Miragemaker and Nino. I really appreciate it after working so long in the dank sub basement of the dark and gloomy Casa Diablos.

andy_maxman
01-10-2006, 03:45 AM
you are gonna have animators go ssluuuuuurrrppppiiinnn'
goodLuck dude...
love what you did with the head....and the overall ease in squash and stretch...
:)

kamrhon
01-10-2006, 04:30 AM
StephG,

Buddy! I am totally in awe. I am currently enrolled at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects. In my second quarter, I have narrowed down my choices for pursuit of a trade, and have chosen rigging and rendering. Rendering for my own reason, but rigging for the obvious. The level of control that you have achieved with this demo blows me away. How?.....Where?....I'd like to pick your brain. Where did you get your knowledge?

Otherwise, a great demo.

C

kamrhon
01-10-2006, 04:48 AM
StephG,

Buddy! I am totally in awe. I am currently enrolled at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects. In my second quarter, I have narrowed down my choices for pursuit of a trade, and have chosen rigging and rendering. Rendering for my own reason, but rigging for the obvious. The level of control that you have achieved with this demo blows me away. How?.....Where?....I'd like to pick your brain. Where did you get your knowledge?

Otherwise, a great demo.

C

StephG
01-10-2006, 05:08 AM
I did a blog on my journey of learning some Mel and building this rig. It's long and boring, but maybe it'll give people learning this some ideas:

http://car2ns3d.blogspot.com/

eek
01-10-2006, 05:19 AM
StephG,

Strong rig, good pacing and nice ramped music with creshendo. The text doesnt work, its white and becomes distracting(im constantly trying to see both so i tend to miss stuff) Either put a quick break-down at the beginning, a break-down before each part on black then fade it in, or put it on a strip at the bottom.

But anyway - Good strong rig, best of luck.

eek

3dmonk
01-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Really good work...:thumbsup:

3dmonk

Grgeon
01-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Great job StephG! Wow man, you really did an awesome looking rig here. Better get an agent, i can see the calls pouring in :)

God Bless,
George

mike0006
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Ya, really amazing job! What is the name of the music you used?

loocas
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Very nice man! Awesome rig! :buttrock:

Now I regret I can't operate maya... :cry:

cristinelo
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Very well equipped character!I really like it.
But it is very heavy,isn`t it?I see that you have a very low frame rate in Maya`s viewport.

Anyway I`d love to move that character.

Pelvis Costello

Robken
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
good to see you got it done :) .

it has some nice stuff in there. you used the scriptJob technique to your advantage.

good job.

tommiTissari
01-10-2006, 01:20 PM
How did you manage to do animating the space switch for the foot? Do you need to set a key for the foot one frame before switching and then one key at the frame where the switch happens, or how do you keep the foot from popping? And if you change the animation of the hips (or whatever the foot is parented to when in "body space" mode) after having animated the space switch for the foot, doesn't popping then again occur with the foot.

Or have you written a custom transform node that follows its parent or doesn't follow depending whether the switch is up or down?

I'd really like to know how to make a working space switch system without having two separate foot controls for body and world space modes.

PEN
01-10-2006, 01:52 PM
StephG,

Great work on the rig, you have a nice rounded work history as well in a lot of great shops. Find a mutimedia student to get the site up to the level of work that is on it though;)

Good luck in your next endevors.

My Fault
01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Beautiful rig there Steph, the eye controls are particularly impressive. Congrats on the front page, you deserve it man!

renatolbs
01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
very orible:eek:

My Fault
01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
woops, double posted there

Pickled_Poly
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
very nice man, rigging is something i alays wanted to try harder at but never get time to , again nice work

coop
01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I had the luck to test this rig out, and man, it's pretty amazing...a lot of complex stuff going on under the hood, but the playback speed is really quick, even on my crappy laptop. Really great work Steph- it was really amazing seeing you problem solve your way through this rig..the animatable pivots and squashy head controls not only deform well, but are intuitively set up. Definitely set up by someone that knows what animators need :)

My Fault
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Definitely. Having an animator of Steph's abilities also do set up is a powerful combination and it really shows in the video of this rig. I wish I would've known about the blog earlier. Once again, awesome work man!

safe05
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Really nice work. Looks like so much fun to work with... :) Great job, and good luck with your job search.

DaddyMack
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Congratulations Steph! That's a fine rig with waaaay too many switches;) Phenomenal use of parenting control and you've made for some great characterisations as well... Good luck landing your dream gig:thumbsup:

mhovland
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Steph,

I just watched the rig demo, and I must say, amazing work. That looks like the dream rig for cartoony animation.

Very impressive. That is a hell of a calling card.

StephG
01-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Mike, and thanks for the help you gave me on the skin weighting script. I'd have never figured out how to do that without it.

lmancg
01-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I just watched the rig demo, and I must say, amazing work. That looks like the dream rig for cartoony animation.

I second that: That rig looks like a dream to work with. I will be studying this very closely (time permitting). Keep up the great work and congrats on the front page!

sketchguy
01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey Steph,

So THIS is what you've been up to lately. ;)

I'm really digging the pupil scaling, head squishing, ear deforming and IK parenting to other parts of the body.

Looking forward to seeing the character animated!

-Steve

rmsmedia
01-10-2006, 09:48 PM
This is a fantastic rig, I'm interested in seeing some kind of setup explanation or tutorial to show how you set up your parent swapping so that it doesn't jump during the switch. I'm guessing expressions or script jobs??? Would be a great tutorial. Awesome work.

K_Digital
01-10-2006, 10:28 PM
really nice rig.

josecarlospoeiras
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
hy Stephen Greenberg,

Has I see, you have a real complete rig for the krazycat, very good work!!
However, may I tell you (no ofense), you have a very poor website :P ...

but when I read your years of experince, then I understand... my god, the man has no :D :argh:

:cool: so, greetings for career!!

StephG
01-11-2006, 12:19 AM
hy Stephen Greenberg,

Has I see, you have a real complete rig for the krazycat, very good work!!
However, may I tell you (no ofense), you have a very poor website :P ...

but when I read your years of experince, then I understand... my god, the man has no

so, greetings for career!!

Yes, I know, the site sucks. I just have to make a choice: learn useful stuff like rigging and MEL scripting, or design a pretty web site. Somehow, designing a web site always loses out

Hopefully, people that actually hire riggers know they're not hiring a web designer :D.

malcolmTG
01-11-2006, 06:56 AM
i dig your work. the reel got on my nerves cause of the pace and music, but the work looks pretty solid.

peace.
malcolm.

rbfeik
01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
1. what software were you using

2. do you have a story planned for it

Hope we get to see something really great

mondo-ray
01-11-2006, 01:31 PM
wow that's a great looking rig! i've read yer blog, and WOW. playback at 24fps??!?!? that's really impressive! i love the parenting options for the IK hands. awesome job!

michelbest
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Very Good... Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Only a question, how much time you delayed to develop rig entire?

StephG
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Very Good... Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Only a question, how much time you delayed to develop rig entire?

Well...I can't really separate the time the rig took to develop from the time I spent expanding my knowledge of MEL so I could develop the rig. There were also a lot of experiments that didn't work along the way, and I wanted to test my own solutions against ones that others had already come up with.

Bluder
01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
very nice rigg congratz.the problem whit the pivot positions not being at the ankle while your have roll (standing on toe) on "1" sems to be solved, that was the greatest thing on the demo imho. i hate not be able to rotate fron ankle at all time. i want u as my rigger ;)

exigolight
01-11-2006, 05:35 PM
A great demontration of the rig. specially the head area. got a lot of tips from it.

thank you.

Blackout
01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Wow Steph now that's what I am talking about. I really like how the arm/leg movements are very soft at the joints there is hardley any if at all distortion from it moving around the stretch to your character is also very well done along with the Eye balls moving into different postures giving the character the look and feel of it really coming to life. Good work man hope that one day I will be able to do the same.

pappy
01-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Awesome rig, Steph. Nice flexibility of control. Too many times I see people combining controls (save the animator work;-)), which limit the range of possibilities. Looking forward to see what it can do when it is finished. How come you didn't let me test it? ;-\

neil

PS

I know what you mean about websites... I never have the time to make mine pro...

Zerflag
01-15-2006, 02:27 AM
wow, great looking rig. lots of nifty controls.
all the isolation and parenting is bound to be useful so long as you don't get lost and forget what mode you're in. :)
i know you have another reel with slower music and text, but i have to say, the text in the first one is a little difficult to follow, in fact, it's impossible to read, makes me ask why it's there in the first place.
all that said, great job, someone's sure to hire you! :)

StephG
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it after all these months
of people asking me what I'm up to.

Neil:
Hey, you were outta town at the time, buddy. Serves you right for having a life
;) Maybe next round?

Zerflag:
all the isolation and parenting is bound to be useful so long as you
don't get lost and forget what mode you're in.

That's always a danger of lots of features. But those nice pull down menus
let you know where you are with a glance. But it does give me an idea for an
interface feature which can tell you the status of your character's controls at
a glance

the text in the first one is a little difficult to follow, in fact, it's
impossible to read, makes me ask why it's there in the first place.

It's there so you can hit pause and read it ;) Or watch it over and over again,
making a game of reading it.

See, it is all part of my nefarious plan to get people to watch it over and over
again at work, so their coworkers will come over and look at it out of
curiosity. And then their supes will come over to see why everyone has stopped
getting work done, and they'll watch it. And people will be dancing around the
room to the hard pounding beats. Then parties will spread throughout the
building. Spontaneous raves will crop up throughout the industry. Productivity will
plummet and managers will say, "We've got to hire more people to meet out
deadlines. Especially Character TDs. Anyone know of any Character TDs who might
be available?"

;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.