PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of Icey

Pages : [1] 2

Icey
01-09-2006, 03:21 PM
as Rebeccak adviced me - i'm starting an anatomy thread of my own :)

Rebeccak
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Icey,

Fantastic to see your thread here! :thumbsup: It will be exciting to watch, I'm sure. :)

I can't take a detailed look at your drawings right now as I'm at work, but definitely think from a brief glance that they are really beautiful ~ and that you can go so much further with these! Looking forward to following your thread. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Diego_R
01-09-2006, 05:07 PM
hey man, i follow your stuff in CA, but it's nice to see you postin' here.
Lots of cool stuff, hope to see more.
Cheers
-diego

erilaz
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Yay! More CA/CGTALK cross pollination! Nice to see you here Icey! :)

Icey
01-10-2006, 05:41 PM
rebeccak, you don't have to... these are like almost 2 years ago :) But if you could, you could drop a word or two on my new ones - i need an experienced eye on that :D

Diego
Erilaz

guys... i never thought people knew me there enough to recognize me here - i'm blushing :p
thank you! :)

Rebeccak
01-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Heya Icey,

Will definitely take a better look later today. :) Nice to see you adding work to your thread! :thumbsup:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Mu
01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
i hope you'll be hard on me :)

*tries hard to be hard*

I love how you separate the masses with your confident edges...

*swears*
*tries harder, fists clenched*

...I wish I could shade as good as you...

*sighs*

mabye next time...

Icey
01-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Mr.Mu - :D - thank you!!! :)

RebeccaK - I try to keep my thread updated every day - but now i'm posting old work - hope i'll manage to post every day when i have to drow new stuff for it! :D

Rebeccak
01-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Icey,

Looking forward to checking out your images later...don't worry, it's great to see the progression from older to newer images! Keep posting!

~Rebeccak

Icey
01-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Thank you Rebeccak! take your time :):D

Rebeccak
01-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Icey,

Your sense of the figure is really wonderful! I'm quite curious about the work of your masters ~ is there anything of theirs that we can see online? You must have had some really fantastic teachers! I would love to see their work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Lyneran
01-15-2006, 06:08 PM
wow awesome thread.. i love how you showed your progress from your first drawings (which are absolutely great btw!) definitely gonna keep an eye on this. hope to see more soon! :thumbsup:

-Lye-

Icey
01-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Rebecca - i wrote about 2 pages about my masters .. but it's all gone now because a f***** error!!! :(((((((((.. oh, i'm SO mad!... I could scream!

rblitz7
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey Icey great stuff man, real nice values.:thumbsup: This one is great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/WebPage/0046.jpg

Icey
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
thank you rblitz7

Rebeccak
01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Icey,

Great to see these works ~ are these older or newer? :) Beautiful all round ~ I love the expressiveness of the last.

Regarding losing posts ~ I ALWAYS copy my text and paste it into Windows notepad or Word (Notepad is better, I think) - for longer posts, several times - so that I don't lose anything that I've typed. If you select everything in a post including images and paste into Notepad, your images won't be pasted, but you will preserve your text. I used to lose text all the time and it made me crazy! So I now always make sure to copy and paste text first, and at least have it on the clipboard, ready to paste again, should I lose my efforts. :)

Thank you for all of the great links to your masters. I have checked out a few, and will check them out more in~depth as well.

Great to see all your work here Icey ~ you're very talented and hard~working, which is a winning combination!

*text just copied to clipboard!*

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi...Icey..:)

These are some of the strongest drawings i've seen on this forum so far.
YOUR DRAFTSMANSHIP IS SUPERB ...:thumbsup: .
The only suggestion I can offer, is to buy all the BURNE HOGARTH books you can get
your hands on, and start creating some of these figures from your own imagination .
Go to ...Thomasphoenix's personel atatomy thread, and you will find out about
BURNE HOGARTH...ALSO I think you should work more on that so called bad paper,
or something similar... gives your drawing a really nice look..
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK...looking forward to SEEING MORE...:)

Take Care
Glenn

Icey
01-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Rebeccak - hahaha - i use to do that myself but sometimes i forget and... shit happends... eh.. don't worry :) i sometimes learn from mistakes! hahahaha :))))

Spirit Dreamer - glad to have your reply on my thread! :D I know BURNE HOGARTH's work - well... some of it... I most certainly wown't find his books in my country and to order on-lline is more of a complication - i need international cads -master, visa... and i don't have those...
anyway - i tend to do something diffrent with my future work... More like our days concepts - more like gnomon concepts! :) - i wouldn't have subscribed here if i wasn't. Thank you for all the kind critiq Hopefully i'll have a little peace now after the big schoolwork and i'll manage to do new stuff...

Rebeccak
01-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Icey,

Your Durer study is really powerful, and I am really excited to see work of your caliber being posted...beautiful work ~ I really enjoy seeing your updates!

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
01-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Icey....:)
Just trying out some experiments with your composite..hope you don't mind ...I like your
idea for this piece alot, and read you were seeking suggestions for improvements on it.
A couple of things that might help it are....a unifying color,...and a unifying light...
These two elements will give it more unity, and that onenss, that is so important for
a piece with so many parts.
Really like your drawings ...the colored backgrounds is the way to go for such fine
drawings...adds mood to them....color mood....:)
If it were mine, I would do the same conept, but make a few of them, useing
diffferent drawings you've done in each version... some great drawings to choose
from, and some really exciteing combinations could be created from them...:arteest:
Can't wait to see more...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ICEY_COMPOSITE.jpg

Icey
01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Rebeccak - :D i don't have the line that i aim for.. and that ... well.. i call it "art school drowing style" that i see on a lot of very very good guys - my age.. :( this "my age" thing gives me a sad smile... Wish i had started drawing 6 or 7 years before i did :|

Spirit Dreamer - thank you for your time and for visit :) You have a very good idea with the unifying colour, but... i gave up the complicated page for a clean simple one.. I think is the best.. Anyway - i don't yet have a webpage... and the way things are goning i don't think i'll have one in the near future.. :) But the god thing is that i'll do better stuff and... hopefully i'll have something to show compared to what i do now :)

Rebeccak
01-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Icey,

I can't wait to see your work when you do have the line style you wish to achieve ;) ~ those drawings will certainly blow all of us away. :)

SpiritDreamer
01-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi ...ICEY...:)

I'M in total agreement with Rebecca on that one....:thumbsup:
Also, if you would E-MAIL me your address, I will gladly send you a copy
of BURNE HOGARTH'S ..DYNAMIC FIGURE DRAWING. I THINK YOU would really enjoy, and
also really benifit from it. That book will give you the know how, and freedom to create
GREAT figures in deep space just like the Old Masters...and from your own imagination, if you
so choose. I have an extra copy, just collecting dust at the moment...If you want it, it's yours.. for FREE... Let me know ...really like your drawing skill, and would like for you to be able to take it even further...BURNE HOGARTH will diffenitly help you go further ...TRUST ME on this one.
I'M speaking from experience. :)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

SpiritDreamer
01-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi...Icey...:)

I think you should post those drawings you just put in the Master Copy #12 in this thread
also. You do great faces..:thumbsup: ...My favorite on your thread so far, is that RAPHAEL STUDY.
Captures my eye every time I see it.:)
Keep an eye out for your mail , that book should get to you in four to seven days hopefully.
Romania is a long long ways away from Boston LOL!!..
All the principles of forshortening ect. are in it, and demonstrated with his own
life size drawings...Hope you enjoy it , and learn a lot from it, as I have, and still do.
I had him for my teacher many years ago, and he is still teaching me thru his books and
the memories of his ...GREAT SPIRIT..
Can't wait to see how he influences you and yours.

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Glen, i don't know how to thank you enough!! I'll keep an eye on the mail-man and kick the crap out of him if he doesn't have it! :)))

Rebecca, i think it'll be hard for me to achive that style.. I don't usually concentrate on developing a style.. I think that's the last thing i should do - I gave you a link to one of the man that gave me well advices - Daniel Dociu - he said this and.. i think it's a very smart thing to fallow.. :)

Rebeccak
01-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Great to see more drawings, Icey! Your work always inspires me...what I like about your drawings is that there's more to them than simple copying...there is definitely an emotional sense to your work and to your linework which I think makes them a lot more interesting and compelling than mere renders...looking forward to your next update. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Lyneran
01-26-2006, 10:06 PM
hi icey! nice studies and spirit dreamer's right, you make awesome face studies. :thumbsup: your work really appeals to me, im not sure how to put in words why. maybe it's as ms.k said, because it has an emotional aspect. it's more like captured moments than just some drawing of a head or other part. i'm quite clueless how you do that. :)

Icey
01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Rebecca and Lyneran :) - thank you bolth and... about my drowings.. i think loomis said something that's a little rough.. - don't try to imitate a feeling, just draw things right and the feeling effect will come out just fine.. The thing that i do and i guess it counts is that i never try to imitate what i'm drawing and never try to get a perfect match, just the basic principles like torsion, tension, movement... etc. i guess that counts :)

Rebeccak
01-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Icey: i think loomis said something that's a little rough.. - don't try to imitate a feeling, just draw things right and the feeling effect will come out just fine.. The thing that i do and i guess it counts is that i never try to imitate what i'm drowing and never try to get a perfect match, just the basic principles like torsion, tension, movement... etc. i guess tht counts :)
That's a good way of putting it...I think that seems right ~ how can you draw what you feel intentionally? As artists we sometimes seem to get preoccupied with developing a 'style', which is always a part of our work anyway. :) Nice to see your new drawings, Icey! Were these from photo references? Just curious. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Icey,

BTW, I was checking out your Sketchbook on CA, and noticed you have some really nice creatures there...

Just fyi, we have a creatures thread here which you may be interested in as well:

Creature Designers - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257600)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257600

Also, you are more than welcome to post your creatures here as well, if you wish! :)

With respect to digital painting, you might try going digital in the OFDWs ~ I really recommend to anyone making the transitional to digital to start out with a grayscale painting, and work from there. What do you think? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
thank you for the links and.. i'll post something there now! :) I don't have many monsters to show, but i hope i'll manage to do some more in the near future :)

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Heya Icey,

No problem! :) You're free to post (or not post) anywhere you like. :)

Will take a better look at your work in a bit...for now I must pretend to be working. :wise:

~Rebeccak

Lyneran
02-03-2006, 01:58 AM
:bounce: awesome studies as usual icey! especially the ones from hong ly's photosets! :applause:

Icey
02-12-2006, 03:35 PM
can this be called anatomy? anatomy of a folding maby

Rebeccak
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Icey, no problem! Lovely piece! :thumbsup:

We also have this thread: :)

Cloth and Clothing - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258115)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258115

Feel free to post there as well! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 09:42 PM
If you haven't already, you should totally join the Challenge!

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/enter.php

~Rebeccak

Icey
03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
i don't know if i'll be able to even t start the challenge... :(
these past few days i had an awful bad mood... Actually .. it is going on for weeks... and in a month i'll take a trip to paris - hope i will rest my brains a little...
here are some frank frazetta studys - he is my favorite fantasy artist! his values are incredible, the light and shadow is giveing me creeps!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/79677899.jpg

Rebeccak
03-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear you're not feeling cheery, Icey...hope things pick up soon. :) Have a great time in Paris, that sounds fantastic! :)

Sorry to hear about the Challenge, but there will be another one...and your skills will be so much the better then. :) Great Frazetta sketches, as usual, your work is always refreshing to see ~ lovely pencil work, but why don't you like the shadows?

~Rebeccak

Icey
03-12-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks Rebeccak!
about the "the light and shadow is giveing me creeps" - it was in a good way! :D i guess the expression was bad :D I love the shadin!
I'll try to do something for this Journey :) Anyway i can't win - there are conceptGODS playing there! :)

update soon!!!

Rebeccak
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Icey,

Heya, the Challenge is just about fun, so no need to worry about the people who are going to win ~ it's just sort of like a big festival. :)

Ah, okay, gotcha about the shadows! :D

Looking forward to your update. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
03-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi...Icey...:)

Really nice drawings....line work is great as usual...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Fusioniz
03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
i don't know but i take my hats off your drawings they're nice

erilaz
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Awesome icey... simply awesome. Add as much as possible!

LoTekK
03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
You, sir, have a gorgeous knack for those pencils. Inspiring stuff, truly. :thumbsup:

Icey
03-27-2006, 05:40 PM
wow.. so many replys! :D :D :D

Rebecca, i know but it's just that i don't wanna be a mess in that... :| And my usual stuff is just kids play compared to what i've seen so far.. But hey, maby i'll give it a try! :)

SpiritDreamer, you're a real support, my friend! Thanks a lot! :)

Fusioniz, i'm honored! I give my best to become better! Hope evolution will come soon - i don't know if i should say this (it should be an outside remark) but i think i'm moveing slowly farward..

erilaz, hehehe - i'm trieing to drow as much as possible, but i never post my entire crap.. i just choose what i keep and what i throw away... And the part that i keep is than the one that i choose what to post and what to dump it into my sketch-mountain :D

LoTekK, :D - thanks man! I just push the limits hard! And the roughness of the paper underneath my pencil really makes me go crazy! - i love good quality paper! i'm telling you this... But the cheep one could be the best sometimes!!!

for example - these are made on Xerox paper - the cheepest i can get! :) - no more than 2-3 minutes gestures after life... I think i had a good night back than

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/e794d1bc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/5e3a888a.jpg

Icey
03-27-2006, 05:41 PM
i have a problem with posting more than 2 images... maby they are too big... :| i don't know what's the problem...

here are more
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/6fff0c4b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/a9e1cb69.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/1977827b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/6e0f6c3e.jpg

LoTekK
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Oiiiyy... Those gestures are gorgeous. Love that line quality, and the crazy looseness. And I especially love how you're handling the drapery with that. :buttrock:

Rebeccak
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Beautiful work, Icey! How often do you attend life drawing sessions? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi....Icey....:thumbsup:

Those are GREAT....fast...spontanious...and full of energy....looks like your pencil...pen
never left the surface of the paper...:)
Can't wait to see what happens when you pick up a paint brush...:scream:
Keep up the great work...Icey... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...:bounce:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

CalvinChoy
03-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Very nice, any planns for shading it ? hehe nice poses lol :p

Icey
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
LoTekK, hehe, thanks man! And thank you for suporting my threads. I think the line was a little bit too loose so the flesh looks old - aspecialy around the hips... Drapery is something i've always been afraid of! Glad you like it! :D

Rebecca, my only lifedrowing class was a long time ago... But i try to drow from life as much as i can - classmates, friends, my girlfrien here ... I'm stil not pleased with my lifedrowings, but ... i realise that i have to do more - and longer hours studys - i miss that because i never had a good stady model.. :( And i'm begining to want that more everyday - i feel the need for 3D real volume and life representation...

Glen, thanks mate! :) sincerly .. it barely left the paper - they were on A4 paper - like the ones you've sent me, and i was quite in a hurry!! :)))) About the paint brush... I'm qondering how that goes... I never tried a real painting in my life - only the digital one...Maby is not that diffrent... who knows :D

CalvinChoy, no shading on these ones, sorry! :) These were only fast gestures, but highly randered papers will come! - you'd better check my other thread for randered pictures. It is more to see there. Thank you for steping by! :) Hope to see you soon again! Cheers!

Update soon! :D

SpiritDreamer
03-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi....Icey....:)

A good and cheap method to get used to painting with a brush, is to buy a SUMI BRUSH,
and a small brick of hard black ink....or some water colors...think you would do great with
a SUMI BRUSH....You might take a look at a book from the library with Chinese ink paintings
in it , just to get an idea as to what effects can be gotten with just that one brush...GREAT STUFF....Gets motion....volume, and line, all in one stroke when mastered...:thumbsup:
Works great on cloth...silk or satin, or cotton....and paper also....can get a nice effect by
tapeing edges of paper or cloth to a board, and wet surface with water with a spray bottle
or sponge before you paint...experiment alot....wet dry combo..ect....you can get some really great effects....fast, and without to much cost ....great practice in preperation for doing finished oil paintings...:)

About that ..Z BRUSH...You can get a ...FREE 30 DAY TRIAL DEMO DOWNLOAD...that's what
I am using.....FREE ....IT'S on that link that you put on my thread ...with Z BRUSH movie demo.
GO FOR IT.....IT'S FREE....:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE...and keep posting those great drawings of yours....really enjoying seeing them.
Glenn

Mu
03-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Icey,

been looking through these pages again and...damn!

wonderfullly wonderful.

Absolutely in love with the way you treat your edges.

Lyneran
04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
brilliant linework as always icey! you're so light handed how do you keep your lines so controlled & flowing?

Icey
04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
glen, - that crossed my mind! i think you'll see soon analog painting.. my hand just shakes for something like that :D

Mu - :) thank you. I'm hopeing for something much better in the months to come - i feel it in me but can;t release it.. all the theory in one drowing/painting to really show everything i have in my mind... it'll be quite a fight but i'll have to win... I want that "whole" perfect! Atmosphere, the pointing of the thing i want to show, the perfect lighting... Ok.. I'm shuting up :)

Lyneran - i don't have a secret... just a lot of work .. (but i don't have that either :D) I guess is just the use with the shapes and the paper. Once you'll manage to controle these... sky is the limit!

Rebeccak
04-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Icey,

Aww, for me! :D :) It's great to see how you've retained your beautiful linework here in digital form ~ don't ever lose that! You definitely have a unique gift with linework and it's always inspiring to see your work. Looking forward to seeing more!

~Rebeccak

Mu
04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Mu - :) thank you. I'm hopeing for something much better in the months to come - i feel it in me but can;t release it.. all the theory in one drowing/painting to really show everything i have in my mind... it'll be quite a fight but i'll have to win... I want that "whole" perfect! Atmosphere, the pointing of the thing i want to show, the perfect lighting... Ok.. I'm shuting up :)

no, don't shut up: I love it when people set their goal on the height level of the Empire State Building or beyond that somewhere in the sky and then actually try to reach them.

I think it's our nature to constantly reach out for the next level, to cross the next frontier, you know?

Go, Icey!
:applause:

Thomasphoenix
05-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Icey ,
Your thread is like the evolution of an artist ! The changes in finesse across the few pages are astonishing ! And I think you have travelled a long distance!

Bravo

Siju/Thomasphoenix

Icey
05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Rebecca - you make me blush!! :) Thanks a lot! - i try to find something that works everytime - even if i have to try diffrent tehniques, some that i find most unhandy.... Glad you liked it! :)

Mu - :D
"I think it's our nature to constantly reach out for the next level, to cross the next frontier, you know?"
Most certainly! This is evolution - and quite an evolution it is with humanity! - it will be harder and harder to catch up! - i see now all the great artists that are younger than me and masters in diffrent tehniques (but this goes beyound art... actually to everything - from sports to science!)... Well u see my point! :D

Thomasphoenix - is an honor!! I have a long way to go from this point on, but with a little luck i'll jump over mountains and oceans!

Small update - and more of it on my Sketchbook thread

a ballerina - after a picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/04c397ee.jpg

thank you all again for replying!!!

razz
05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Icey, ballerina looks superb! I like it a lot, the pencil work is great. And lovely black eyes in the aged sp :D Good pose of the guy and the gestures are awesome. I'm waiting to see more!!

Cyanid
05-10-2006, 04:04 PM
that ballerina is awesome! beautiful rendered!
nice lines here! 4 stars!

SpiritDreamer
05-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi....Icey.....Glad to know that you survived the flood....hope everything is OK in your neck of the woods.

About your last drawings.....WOW...:bounce: :thumbsup: :applause:
That is some highly skilled rendering that you have going on with that dancer..really clasical
style of rendering...a lot of work, but worth it....TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL..:thumbsup:
Also like your aged self portrait...that facial expression is priceless..you should keep it..will be
interesting to see if that is what you turn out to look like in the not so distant future..:scream: :)

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK IN ACTION....Icey...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Icey,

Beautiful job with the ballerina...you are really starting to become quite accomplished. :) Always a pleasure to see your work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Mu
05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Icey,

already jumping mountains, eh...:D

the ballerina practically left me speechless. Wonderful.

CgIcecube
05-11-2006, 11:34 AM
:thumbsup: Ballerina is beautifully rendered:) Great work on it:applause:

Icey
05-14-2006, 07:23 PM
razz- thank you razz! :) I'll be back with more soon! I have to scann my new stuff...

Cyanid - thanks a lot! for bolth starring me and for the reply! :D Cheers!

SpiritDreamer - Glad to have you here Glen.. Much apreciate the concern! I'll have some spare time for the moment! :) - i don't know if i am going to use it for anatomy sketches, but definitely i'll have another update of my sketchbook thread! Thank you for sticking on my side! Wish you all good luck!
Rebecca - :D - i'm always happy to see you here! And thank you again for cheering me up! :) Hope i wown't be a disappointment in the near future! :)

Mu - I'm makeking jump after jump! One day ..... aah... Thank you a milion! :)

CgIcecube - thanks' :) I'm fighting to get that perfect looks with construction only and very few render ...

enthombed
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey Icey, amazing this stuff dude, i really like your work... i try to learning something here too..

Thnks for share yur stuff.

Cheers

Icey
05-18-2006, 08:28 PM
enthombed - thank you! Glad if i can be any help!

enthombed
05-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey Icey, you continue rocking so much buddy, damnit... this is from your mind or you used one reference dude???

man.. need make something like this.

lol

cya

Rebeccak
05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Icey,

It's great as always to see your most recent update. :)

I think in just a few of the poses, the head looks a bit large / without a neck ~ but I really like your simplified lines and the lack of fuss. The toy drawing I actually think is really nicely executed! Always a pleasure to see your work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

demented
05-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey Icey

Like Rebecca said - no nitty gritty - like how you're handling everything. Especially like the toy, really. These look referenced - are they? If not, then have some more stars.
If they are referenced, have some more stars.

Keep inspiring

- d.

Rist
05-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Real nice studies Icey!

I work from Burne Hogarths and Jeno Barcsay's books. Barcsays for the muscles and bones and Hogarths for his forms and general look of the muscles on the outside.

I love that brown paper you use. I can never get my hands on that colour of paper.

pushav
05-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Inspiring stuff! Keep it up.:bounce:

Monster_General
05-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey , I really liked those , impressive , keep up please :thumbsup: Balerina at the previous page was especially good :)

Rist
05-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I posted 5 stars due to the determination to keep this up and the talent that is shown here. Hope to see many more!

razz
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM
The figure drawings are awesome! The toy too :D You seem to know what you're doing. Don't stop to amaze me.

Icey
05-21-2006, 12:15 AM
wow.. thank you all for the replys! :)

enthombed - those were lifedrawings. You should do these.... are fun and very useful! Really makes you understand the shape better... if you don't have a model draw youre hands and feet... or yourself in the mirror ... it's good practice...

Rebecca - you are absolutly right... I tend to do the heads a little too big... that's maby because i have to practice more on them.... thank you very much for being here every time :)

demented - thanks budy! hehe :D these are reference... lifedrawings, as i've said to enthombed :) i'll keep updateing !! Thank you for being everywhere for me, man!! On SOFA, here.. CA...You're really a support!

Fl3wk - the paper can be bolth good and bad.... I think that one was ok, but sometimes these colored stuff are way too textured.... Burne Hogarths is a master - a lot to learn from! But i never liked his shapes -too round .... too unnatural... The construction, the ideea of movement, the basic principle of movement is absolutly great - this is what i'm focuseing on at his art :) Thank you for the stars! Much apreciation!

pushav - hehe.. thanks mate! :)

Monster_General - thank you, man! Glad you liked the ballerina... :) I hope the women that has it now likes it too... :|

razz - :D thank you! i hope i wown't! Glad you liked the toy!

se7en-z3r0
05-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Very nice work in here. You should be proud there is a lot of progress in your skills throughout this thread. I especially like the scribbley (sp) sketches. You have a very good eye for form, value and proportion. 5 stars from me : )

Icey
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
se7en-z3r0 - hehe :) thank you ! i think there's evolution because i've posted my work since 2-3 years ago.. back when i started drawing... :) I wonder where will i be in another 3... (and i wonder how would i have been if i started 3 years before...... :( :( )

Lifedrawings - my own hands and feet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/71f8cd9b.jpg

razz
05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
These are beautiful!! I love the style that you're drawing. It's kind of what I'm trying to achieve, so just keep inspiring! :)

umbrellasky
05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
:eek: WOW! I'm just so amazed. These are so beautiful. Very inspiring work!

Thanks so much for sharing!

SpiritDreamer
05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
GREAT STUDIES...Icey....:thumbsup:

You have a way of bringing the forms to life, with that FANTASTIC LINE of YOURS
and the ENERGY YOU PUT INTO IT ...:)
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK ...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

demented
05-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Icey

wonderful update dude - eyecandy deluxe. Love the way your putting hands and feet over each other filling the page bringing it to life. This goes to show how expressive hands and feet can be.

You're a huge inspiration - thanx for sharing and keep doing so!

thanx

- d.

Rebeccak
05-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Icey,

Your skills continue to impress me! So much good stuff, I really look forward to your updates. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
05-26-2006, 05:51 PM
razz - thank you!

enialadam - nice to have you here! Thank you very much! More on the way :)

SpiritDreamer - :D thank you Glen! I'm doing something new - hope the ideea and the image will come out ok! Cheers mate!

demented - thanks! glad you liked them! :)

Rebeccak - :) stay tuned for more! Hope this time even better!

Darktwin
05-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow Icey, great anatomy thread, your work is coming along very nicely, look forward to some of your updates man, keep rolling with the punches.

se7en-z3r0
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Agreed, great line quality, lighting and form.

Icey - don't spend too much thoguht worrying about what could have been, just take everyday for what it is. Its the journey that is important not the destination.

Trunks
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
VERY impressive stuff in here. Your studies are always looking very nice! Keep it coming!

Icey
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Darktwin - thanks man! unfortunatly i'm not that much of a roller right now... I'm up to my neck with studying architecture for my exams... :( And my brain is a mess... I need a break!

se7en-z3r0 - Agree. but... i don't know why.. or how my brain works, but i really desire to be somebody and people to know me and admire me.... It's silly, and it sounds stupid to say.. (and i thinks this has something to do with "destination".... )

Trunks - thank you! I will...

Thomasphoenix
06-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Great Stuff ! excellent studies ! goodluck for the exams Dude:thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
06-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi....Icey.....GREAT IMAGINATION and DRAWINGS....:thumbsup:

Would like to see you design a contempory structure, cathedral ect...using and incorporating
that imagination of yours....a contemporary notre dam kind of thing, with gargoles, dragons ect
for your class project and exam.....would be great I think, if you could do that...:)
Contempory architecture has become too boreing, and totally lacks good imagination in my
opinion anyway..:scream:

GOOD LUCK on your exams....looking forward to seeing more of your CREATIONS...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
06-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Glenn: Would like to see you design a contempory structure, cathedral ect...using and incorporating
that imagination of yours....a contemporary notre dam kind of thing, with gargoles, dragons ect
for your class project and exam
Ooh, that's a great idea Glenn! :thumbsup: I think you (Icey) could do an incredible job with that! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
06-17-2006, 05:15 PM
hehe :) I most certainly wown't pass my exams with that, but it's a great ideea! I'll do that! I think it'll be a cool project!

xiannc
06-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Icey. All Ive got to say is. "Whoa!" I just browsed through your postings here and your life sketches are absolutley top notch. People have definitely already said it, but I will say it again. Your lines about knocked me out of my chair. If you don't mind me asking, was there anything you did to work on just your lines, or did your skill come from working on drawing in general i.e form, tone etc. Keep on working and you will definitely reach your destination. I'm sure of it.

-Christian

mybutterflyiris
06-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Wow, Lovely thread, and very inspiring. It seems you are really hoaning your skills.

SpiritDreamer
06-19-2006, 01:16 PM
HEY...Icey....You have proven me wrong....about architecture...THAT'S GREAT....I THINK..:eek: :scream: :)

I would like to see a building designed with human and not so human figures incorporated into
the structure of the building...something that expresses human emotions....fear ...joy..pain...
pleasure...war....peace.....ect. A building that expresses in human terms what this new culture of technoligy and globalization...represents.......The AZTECS ..CAMBODIANS..ect. had their fears...strengths and thoughts expressed in human, and not so human forms all over their architeture....same with the cathedrals of europe....a lost ART in ARCHITECTURE, ....that maybe needs to be revisited
to exspress the current human thought and condition, for future generations to to ponder and
marvel upon.....Modern architecture is like a blank facad...does not really express what is in the peoples MINDS and HEARTS.
Just a few thoughts thrown your way....might inspire you and your teachers ... who knows.?
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAMS......CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THAT IMAGINATION OF YOURS COMES UP WITH...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
06-21-2006, 12:37 PM
xiannc - it's always a pleasure to hear it!:D Well.. the line usually isn't important... And it's not my main focus.. Form is the first thing to keep in mind, than value and tone... I think this globals the line too...

mybutterflyiris - thnk you! :)... Well.. there's always room for more!

SpiritDreamer - well.. you can find that too! ... It's about emotions, the spirit of music and the comemoration of Jimmy Hendrix.. I'm not the biggest Frank Gehry fan, but this is it...
http://www.archinfo.com.tw/building/TXT/archi/2000/121601.htm
sponsored by a associate of Bill Gates, it has an inspiration a guitar, and the colors are names of rock and pop songs.. It is quite interesting... But i don't think a gargoil will fit there! hahaha... I plan to do something more like a Gothic thing... Old, scarry, people will consider demonic.. (that is when i have time...)
check my sketch thread - i'll post my studys there...

here is something i did this morning - about 2 hours...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0169.jpg

SpiritDreamer
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi..Icey.........Gothic sounds good, maybe with a contempory twist..:shrug:

HEY....GREAT SKULL ......Would make a great building.....could have gargoles perched in the eyesockets, and a dragon coiled around the dome of the skull, with demons decorateing and imbedded into it's surface....:scream:
Don't mind me Icey...just thinking out loud again....:)

Have a good one Icey, and stay cool.....I will for sure be keeping an eye out on your threads..:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

enthombed
06-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey Icey, cool skull, ehehe great shading.

Cheers

Icaro

Rebeccak
06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Icey,

Really beautiful skull. :) Only real crit is that the background shading seems a little flat / hurried, but apart from that, this is looking really good. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
06-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Glen - hahaha - no! keep talking! I like your imagination! :D

Icaro - thanks dude! You're a support!! thank you!

Rebecca - You're absolutly right! i've noticed that myself when i've scanned it.. On the paper looked better, but i can always see the mistakes better after i have it on my screen... But that's when it is too late :|

sturmkim
06-23-2006, 05:56 AM
hmmmm. this is quick sketches,,,, mmmmm

i better sleep too:)

nice work!

Rebeccak
06-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Icey,

Great stuff! As regards rib cage reference, there is this excellent web resource:

http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/plateindex.shtml

~Rebeccak

Cyanid
06-23-2006, 04:19 PM
wow nice bones, nice shading!
I actually like the loosiness of the composition and style a lot!
want to see more of this stuff!

Icey
06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
sturmkim- hehe :) Good night!

Rebecca - thank you for the link! Indeed a very good one... :)

Cyanid - :) - i will do more of those... Just need some time...

Rebeccak
06-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi Icey,

This post on Womball's thread may help you: :)

Simplifying Digital Painting (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3660151&postcount=62)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3660151&postcount=62

Also, though you are not a beginner overall of course, there are some great tips here for beginners in digital painting:

Digital Painting: Tips and Techniques for Beginners (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=369421)
With David René & Matt Ellis. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=369421)

Definitely check it out! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
hey, thank you Rebecca! :)

demented
06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Yo Icey

love the updates man - you got some sick skills dude. I've found that the best way to do digital painting is painting the underlying colours and textures first, and then go back and add highlights and shadows; this is one method works for me but of course it's not the highway. Also just looking at other people stuff helps tons: Sparth, Dan Milligan, Aleksi, Vyle (Dave Levy), cos konoitis, and Bjorn Hurri, zhuzhu and of course Rebecca to name a few masters.

Dont's forget the power of layers either - especially the modifiers such as multiply and overlay.

hope that helps some,
cheers dude

- d.

erilaz
06-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Damn icey, your pencils are really coming along! Speed, quality and finesse have jumped since last I was here!

Icey
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
demented - well... I'm laying the main color just to get an ideea of the basic shape (volume), than highlighting - with colors (i don't use "O" tool) - than after effects, if i might call them that .... - tiny details, just to make things look nicer....

erilaz - hehe! Thanks dude! That's what i wanted to hear! :)

Rebeccak
06-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Gorgeous stuff, Icey! :thumbsup:

I won't tell anyone if you won't that this isn't Anatomy~related. ;) Great to see your progress, keep up the stellar work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

se7en-z3r0
07-21-2006, 01:44 AM
get these bananas out of here right this minute : P Love the skull and bones, and yes the fruit is well rendered too : )

krispee
07-22-2006, 04:30 PM
excellent work, Icey, love the bananas, almost good enough to eat lol......the way you do your loose gestures and studies is fabulous........

keep up the great work.....

krispee

Icey
07-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Rebecca - thank you! :D it's our little secret than! Hugs!

se7en - thank you! :)

krispee - apreciate your visit! You're a great artist with a wonderful portofolio! Thank you for your kind words

se7en-z3r0
07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Dude these are cool. How very Android of you : p I dig the weird bug eyed stuff you did to some of them.

NR43
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Icey

your drawings are really inspiring
would love to see more

oh and... if you think you'll go bananas, just eat them :)

thanks for sharing your stuff

Icey
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Damn... I have quite a long absence here... I'm sorry, but i've been busy with a lot of stuff, some trips and now exams for school...

se7en-z3r0 - i was shure somebody would mention it... Actually i've never seen his portraits... I searched the CA forum, and all i could find was 2 threads with 2 portraits... :| It's not him that inspired me, it's just i wanted to learn the head anatomy better and have a little fun, just not to get bored... Thanks for droping by! :)

NR43 - hehe - thanks dude! :D Cheers!

from life
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/ae747100.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi...Icey.....:thumbsup: .....GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK...:)

GREAT DRAWINGS AS USUAL.....really like those hands....can feel the bones in the wrist..BEAUTIFUL...:thumbsup:
Also like your studies of facial expression and emotion...can't go wrong doing alot of those kinds of studies....capturing emotion is the key...to great drawing and painting..:)
Can't wait to see more of your work...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

se7en-z3r0
09-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Awesome stuff. I really dig the girl on the bottom left, soo damn cool. You have a great line quality and style to your work.

depleteD
09-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Man I am impressed. Threads like this keep me inspired. Thanks man.

Icey
09-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Glen - thank you, my friend! :)

se7en-z3r0 - heh - i'm blushing - thank you very much.

depleteD - :D thank you!!

here is something that really looked better in reality...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/boshorog.jpg

razz
09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Freakin' amazing pencilwork :drool: Is it a HB pencil? Or do you use a variety of pencils? Really looks awesome. I like the birdie that is still in the air, how he flutters his wings. Looks very believable and this comes from your great pencilwork. Always an inspiration!

Myku
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Why, why, why, why have I not noticed this thread before? Fantastic drawings here, Icey. I've just seen them for the first time, and I'm already a fan! :applause: Such (controlled) fluidity and effortless expression of movement and emotion- most impressive and inspiring work.

paolodelarosa
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
amazing sketches... the guy with the birds looks perfect... very very detailed work.

SpiritDreamer
09-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi...Icey....:)

I think that drawing of the man with the birds is one of your best so far....needs to be front and center on your new portfollio....would look great next to your ballerina drawing... just my opinion though.
Really beautiful draftsmanship and feeling in this one ...:applause: :thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Icey,

Your work is simply becoming masterful, it's always a great pleasure to see your work. :)

I really hope you might participate in the new Workshop:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 2 - The Torso (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405198&page=1&pp=15)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405198&page=1&pp=15

-Rebeccak

M31
09-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Icey, I've been browsing through this thread and I must say that your work is really awesome! :thumbsup: You're really good at capturing a feeling in your work!

Icey
09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
razz - :) thank you! For the old man i used 2B and 4B i guess... A big pencil for construction - it is faster - and 0.7 mecanical pencil for randering and details ... :)

Mychael - wow... thank you! You've said in those few words everythig i aim for! Thans so much!

paolodelarosa - thank you! - it did it kind of fast... Not quite the finished thing i usualy go for, but i tried to get just the amount of detail was necessary...

Glen - well... i usually get better and better by the drawing.. This one has small disproportions - i can feel them, and i'm already familiar with the drawing - i was suposed to notice my mistakes harder, but this one screams out loud :) I think i'll keep it here for now! Thank you for encouragement! You are always here when i need a helping hand! :) I've finished my exams and i'm in a new year of college! From now on there's enough time to draw!

M31 - thank you! I'm honored you've stepped by - i guess from your portofolio you are a 3D artist - that makes me even happyer you took the time to reply here! :)

Rebeccak - :) thank you! The moment i saw that plugged i knew i had to participate... Here is something i did today - but there will be much more .... Should i post them in the same way there, or should i separate them and say the numbers?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0198.jpg

Rebeccak
09-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Icey,

You're welcome to post your images as they are, but it would definitely help if you would include the numbers for the pieces! Great stuff, and fantastic to see you in the Workshop! :thumbsup:

I just noticed that you've cut out your figures, so as to have a clean background - I would encourage you not to do that, as you will distort / obscure your nice linework. I rather like seeing the sketchbook texture, but it's up to you. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi....Icey...:)

Feeling trumps accuracy everytime...I have see a lot of drawings that are totally accurate, but project no feeling...no soul of the artist can be found in them.The artist should have just taken a photo,would have saved time... Michelangilos works are full of proportional inacuracies....but they have feeling...soul of the artist in them...that is what makes them great....:)
Don't lose sight of what makes your art great, and a part of YOU, in pursuit of total accuracy.
A trap many people fall into, and worth mentioning.
Better to have one work of art that expresses YOU, rather than a thousand pieces that are not YOU.....just my thought and opinion at the moment concerning accuracy ....:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Intervain
09-18-2006, 01:13 PM
woah! Icey that's one sweet thread you're having here :) I love the anatomy sketches a lot - the skeleton's sweet! Keep 'em coming!

se7en-z3r0
09-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow - the man with the birds is amazing. The way that some of the wings are still moving gives it a very mysterious feeling... too cool.

Icey
09-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Rebecca - thank you very much! I know what you mean... this next series will have the paper texture on :) Glad to be in the workshop! Now i guess i'll have the time to participate...

Glen - i know what you mean... Well.. i try to give something of me everytime, not just copy them like a xerox... The soul of the artist - as you call it - i call personal touch. It's what destinguish one person from another, like the fingerprints... That's what i'm trieing to do everytime.
Intervain - Thank you! :) I will! keep watching ;)

se7en-z3r0 - :) thank you for your constant support! I have some big disproportions there - aspecially the head and the hand in the back... But thank you! :) I'll do better next time!

NR43
09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
wow these are even better than the previous ones

you definetely understand those curves!

Intervain
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
:bounce: nice, nice, nice - I'm watching ;)

Iridyse
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Ah Icey, wonderful work! I really like the Caravaggio study.

Icey
10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
NR43 - thanks! :)

Intervain - thank you!!

Iridyse - Humble thanks! - ur a master!

I've erased the picture on my ex-post... I've added them all here...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0199-1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
HEY...Icey....:thumbsup:

Very powerful work as always...:thumbsup: .....Wouldn't mind seeing you put the work from your other
shetchbook into this thread...have a feeling that alot of people are missing out on the amazing works that you have in there,...like that Hippo drawing, and painting of peppers that you just posted in there,...both of which are ....FANTASTIC..:bounce:
Might be good to consolidate your work into one place at this point, so it's not too scattered..
Just a passing thought...:)
ALWAYS looking forward to seeing your work.....your painting skill is becoming...GREAT.. by the way... :applause: :thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Schneesturm
11-14-2006, 02:21 AM
:bounce: Very impressing!!! I'm your new fan! That shading is especially umbelievable. :thumbsup: I try to learn shading from those.

Cheers,

-Schneesturm-

ha-dou-ken
11-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow, Icey!

You epitomize draftsmanship! Bravo!:bounce:

I'm hooked.

Cris-Palomino
11-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Beautiful work. Love the man with the birds piece. Real sensitivity for the subject. Great pencil work.

Cris

Icey
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Thank you all for the replys!!

Glen - i thought hard about that, but it's just i have a lot of concept-art and compositions that has nothing to do with anatomy :| I'm not the scattered guy, anyway :D Thank you for being my constant support and friend!

Schneesturm - thnks man! I'm glad i could be of use! You'll see even better shading, light composition, sensitivity in randering and focusing on my future updates!

ha-dou-ken - hehehe - thank you!! Much apreciate it!

Cris-Palomino - Thank you, Cris!

here is a little update....

from life - a fast portrait of my girlfriend...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0208.jpg

and ... selfportraits from pictures - without useing the flash!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0209.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0210.jpg

NR43
12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
wow you've been busy :)

these are very impressive
a lot of strong feelings exposed (I can relate to at the mo :D )

Always looking forward to see more in your thread Icey

anandpg
12-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi Icey!! great work, dude...!!:applause:.. Love those self-portraits... so expressive!!! Cheers:thumbsup:

razz
12-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey, Icey. Was this what you meant about large scale anatomy studies? Not only your words made me think of doing that, but now the inspiration from your pieces pushes me even harder. I'll have to try that out, looks like a lot of fun :bounce:
I must say, amazing pencilwork. Great lighting also. Mechanical pencil again for the hatching? And how big are these in cm?
Really impressive :scream:

Gord-MacDonald
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
beautiful thread - so much great drawing!

Gord

SpiritDreamer
12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
HEY....Icey... :thumbsup: :)

FANTASTIC...:bounce:
Like the way you turned yourself into a living gargole, and perched yourself above it all..GREAT IDEA, and BEAUTIFUL RENDERING on all of these...Really capturing those emotions..BIG TIME..:thumbsup: ... Your draftsmanship on these is totally SUPERB.... Perfect EXAMPLES of CONTROLLED ENERGY ...:applause:
REAL PLEASURE SEEING THESE....Icey..:thumbsup:
Can't wait to see MORE...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
12-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Icey,

You are insanely talented with that pencil! Wow, just inspiring stuff here. Keep up the awesome work! :) Are you using reference for these? SPs? :)

Intervain
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
love your sketches so much!!! I especially like the ballerina a few pages back - gorgeous :thumbsup:

Icey
12-04-2006, 09:34 AM
wow.. so many replys....

NR43 - thank you! :) unfortunatly i'm always busy with something else....

anandpg - thank you! Glad to have you here!

razz - yap - these were the things i was talking about - they are 50/70 cm - done with a 0.7 mechanical pencil - HB i think.... I can't remember the last time i've worked on such large surfaces, but i'm telling you it pays off catching up! Thanks for the visit! :) Cheers!
Gord-MacDonald - thank you! plenty more and better to come!

Glen - wow.. you always make me blush :D Thank you very much! The first one i did for a topic - "Everybody sucks!" - just a project i'm planing to participate... But it felt so good that i've decided to do another one -not quile like the last one, but really got my mood for drawing up! Cheers!!

Rebecca - thank you! I was useing some pictures of me - done without flash - and when those were not enough, a mirror! Glad if i could be of any inspiraion! - your last ones are very inspireing for me too! I'll try something like that when i get the chance! Until than i have to deal with a stupid so called art-director... C ya!

Intervain - hehe! thank you!

demented
12-04-2006, 11:56 AM
And there you were, over at SoFA going on about me improving. You have shot ahead in leaps and bounds, I'm truly digging your pencils. Really really awesome work you're doing, love the design elements too. My only crit would be that in some of these the faces look a bit flat - don't know whether that was intentional or not.

Keep cracking out the love man,
ciao!

- d.

ha-dou-ken
12-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Icey, those last ones are sick! Great job!:scream:

se7en-z3r0
12-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Great work man! The way you are capturing light with these pencil drawings is amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Womball
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Um wow! The last one looks like your about to transform into some sort of monster!

Icey
12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
demented - thanks! :) I guess i know wich face you are talking about. ;) It wown't happen again :p

ha-dou-ken - :D thank you!

Womball - I think i am about to transform into a monster...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0212.jpg

SpiritDreamer
12-13-2006, 12:46 PM
HEY...Icey....:bounce: :thumbsup:

NOW THAT'S SOME BEAUTIFUL RENDERING....FANTASTIC CONCEPT, AND PERPECTIVE ALSO..:thumbsup:
GREAT JOB...Icey..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
12-22-2006, 04:35 PM
thank you glen! Wish i could say the same about this next one, but i quite don't like it that much....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0213.jpg

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Rebeccak
12-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Icey,

Your works are really becoming profound - that previous skull is really moving, it's executed so professionally - I really hope that your training will include traditional oil painting, you could really execute some amazing stuff.

Womball
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Woohoo, always love genetic mutations! Ever see the movie Freaks?

SpiritDreamer
12-22-2006, 05:07 PM
HEY....Icey....:scream:

That one is hurting me to see it, almost as much pain as the twins seem to be feeling...LOL..:scream:
TORN EMOTIONS...for sure...:)
I have to agree with Rebecca about your learning to paint with oils...The same oil technique used as Salvadore Dali used on your works, would be outstanding...a realism approach to the unreal kind of thing...You for sure have the imagination...if you could master that technique of his, ..you would amaze everyone, including yourself I think..:bounce:
Keep up the GREAT WORK...Icey...ALWAYS A PLEASURE....WELL ALMOST ALWAYS...LOL..:scream:
MERRY CHRISTMAS...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

se7en-z3r0
12-23-2006, 07:26 PM
tight. The skull is amazing and the twins are very creepy... cool stuff as usual : )

Icey
01-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Rebecca - Wish i had the chance to paint someday... but right now the only brushes i have are the digital ones... Thank you for your kind words! :)

Womball - never heared of it! Maby i'll search the imdb data base for it :)

Glen - hehehe - thank you! Unfortunatly, i don't know a thing about painting, or oils or any of that matter... And i don't have room for that... maby someday...... :) who knows? :) Cheers, my friend!

se7en-z3r0 - thank you! Glad i still have your support!

here is something i did - a new ideea i had the other day.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0215.jpg

anandpg
01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
OMG, Icey!... you are into serious business here! awesome!:bounce:

razz
01-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow, striking drawings there, mate! :bounce: I never get enough of your pencil skills, and your creativity. You could take wips of your progress and then show it here. I'm sure it would help lots of people here, including me.
Mechanical pencil again? If so, what did you use to blend the hatching? A blender or something else? I've started using a mechanical pencil myself when doing my studies. Love that thing :drool:

Rebeccak
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, I second the motion for a Tutorial / s - your work is just fantastic, Icey. :)

wasker
01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I triple it. Awesome control of the pencil.

alexbaer
01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow Icey! Truly amazing... I'm.. shocked! Your skills are amazing, the rendering on your drawings is just truly amazing and the anatomy too - flawless!

I think I'm talking to a genius.

AMAZING STUFF! I'm totally subscribing to this thread. :D

Edit: I just noticed I used the word 'amazing' 4 times. Oh god... that's amazing...

Edit2: I just went through the whole thread and I'm just blown away! You truly are a genius.. the way you make the lines and tones live is just superb and exactly what I'm trying to achieve. :)

I read from one post that you started drawing 3 years ago.. ONLY 3 YEARS? If so, you definetly are VERY talented and quite a learner.
May I ask how old are you?

Yours,
Alex

Icey
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
anandpg - Thank you!

razz - I never showed my steps before... I see a lot of artists posting 3-4 steps, i just dump the finished stuff.... If i am to do that, i'll try to work a tutorial out... A step by step will be useless, i'm shure :) About the last post- i've used a soft paper napkin :D - it worked quite well, because i needed a blury surface.

Rebecca - thank you! I'll do one on my next large image... Until than i have to do deer studys for the commic project

wasker - thank you :)

alexbaer - hehehe :D No, I'm not a genious, I'm just a normal guy like the rest of the people.... And quite old for my skills... I'm 22.... I know students in artschools younger and better.... I've starded drawing anatomy like 3 and a half years ago.... but i started to draw like all the bored kids simple volumes and static nature one year before... Just to get into collage - architecture... I was so bad back than, lazy and with no mood for drawing

Thank you all for the kind words!

pushav
01-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Nice pencils. I liked the scull sketch the best.

SpiritDreamer
01-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Hey...Icey...:thumbsup:

Another great one in this collection of gems you are garthering..:bounce:
Always surprised and delighted when I visit your thread...very original thought's and take on life...refreshingly unique...:thumbsup:
KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK...Icey..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

NR43
01-26-2007, 06:58 AM
the siamese twin is freaky but very striking!

I think a series of those "negatives" in different formats would show great in a gallery... some quite small, some huuuuge
would create a tremendous effect on the visitors I think :D

Icey
01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
pushav - thank you! More to come

Glaen - Thank you, my friend! You're a real support!

NR43 - well... I don't think i'll have a show of my own too soon... But if i do i'll consider your ideea :)

About the tutorial i've promised....

Ok… here is the beginning… I’ve found this web site: http://www.boneclones.com (http://www.boneclones.com/) – and I’ve bumped into this image with the 2 calf skulls. This will be my next drawing. Now, what I am going to do is use the elements that I like, and change the rest of it!

Icey
01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
First step: I’m starting with the major volume. Be very careful with paging – you won’t like to find yourself running out of page or asymmetry when it is a must. Most important thing during the whole drawing process – DO NOT APLY PREASURE ON THE PENCIL! Whatever you do, don’t use blacks. You’ll find yourself messing it all up and not being able to erase anything. At this early stage, just let the line flow, let gravity do its thing on your pencil, you just control its direction. You can use the ruler to control your proportions and symmetry, but I prefer to do it by hand, so that I won’t become dependent on it. I’m drawing the eye sockets, jaw and nose, the symmetry axis joining, etc, only at the basic level.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step1.jpg

Second step: digging into big details. And that is the next major volumes/forms on your shape. I am also thinking what I like and what I’m changing – I don’t like the jaw –it’s kind of deformed so I’ll get my own design, more real, I’ll lengthen the skull a little, ageing the animal, I don’t like the teeth so they’ll suffer some modifications.

If there’s a chance to use the eraser and modify big things, I think this is the best one! (I mean perspective, symmetry, proportions – very important for the human figure)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step2.jpg

These were the most important steps! You can have the perfect shading, perfect rendering techniques, but if you lack of construction beauty, you won’t fool an expert.

Icey
01-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Next step: focusing on smaller details: like the curving of the bone’s relief, different holes and the edges where different parts that form the skull ends…. Stuff like that… One thing you have to start thinking about is the source of light. You won’t like the picture’s flash light because is boring, non artistic and flat! You need the real thing, the thing that would make your model interesting in a movie shot, throwing a little mystery upon it – either is a man, an animal or a building….. It also gives you the focusing point! – the most important thing in my opinion. If you use colours you can focus your attention with a striking complementary (is this the right word?...). But right now I have to do it with blacks or wits.

Some would prefer leaving all the construction lines, others would clean it all up… I like to keep an average. Maybe sharpening the edges a little, creating some line contrast – but! !not too hard! You’ll have to cover them with hatching later

One other thing! DO NOT TRY TO COPPY THE PICTURES YOU ARE USING FOR REFERENCE, OR THE LIFE MODEL FOR THAT MATTER! You will find yourself in one situation when you have to draw something with no reference… You have to understand what you have in front of you, either is something as simple as a mug or a human being. Try to understand the way it works, what makes it the thing and the way that it is! Those are very difficult questions….

You can start now with some early shading- it will help you revealing the shape and depth better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step3.jpg

4th step: Blending and texturing. Now is the time you throw your reference away and just go by your thought, because a bad picture could ruin everything you’ve worked on until now. Start adding a little contrast.

I’ve shaded the background a little – because it gives me a first idea about how the edges will look – you need shadow to have light, like you need evil to have the notion of good. I’m also cleaning the edges revealing a more accurate contour.

When shadowing your form, be very careful where your source of light is. Draw small arrows just to remind you about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step4.jpg

Icey
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
5th step: Further blending and texturing and contrasting. I’ve heard recently that art school teachers think that contrast is for beginners, and they prefer the cool down shading. Well… I don’t know about that, but I just love contrast and things that bump right out of the paper, that you feel you can touch… And you have to have more that a good perspective to do that…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step5.jpg

6th step: Start asking yourself : what helps you describe your shape best. Hide the unnecessary parts! (this is something I’ve learned from The Bone Doctor – Mr. Mentler ) Cool down the things you like to remain unnoticed on a first view. Accentuate your focusing point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step6.jpg

7th step: Still looking unfinished! This is when you have to blend perfectly. Close your eyes so that you can allow only a small ray of light through your eyelashes, that way you can create a filter and work on your “natural photoshop levels”. What you’ll see black, just shad it some more! It’s a little trick I’ve learned a long time ago. Work the background too! As you’ve noticed, we have no cast shadows (is that the right word??)… We will have them in the next step, just be patience! That requires all the attention.

Now… Daniel Dociu said something once that changed my opinion about how a final stage drawing should look like. Hope I can translate his words right: “When you think you’ve finished, try blacking two thirds of your drawing, no matter how hart braking is to destroy all the details you’ve worked on, you’ll realize your work has gained impact, force, clarity, much more than losing details.”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step7.jpg

Icey
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
And here comes the final step: adding the shadow that your object drops on the environment and on itself. There are 2 major categories of light: the sun light and the artificial light. The sun light leaves no shadow perspective - it means parallel lines when constructing the shadow. The artificial light creates a shadow that respects the one view point perspective – that means that the construction lines meet in one point – the source of light… (ok… I think we all knew that). Scot Robertson has a WONDERFUL DVD tutorial on Gnomon regarding shadow construction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/step8.jpg

Icey
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
If i don't like what i have in the end, I can play with it in Photoshop and just see what I can get… :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/blabla.jpg

Icey
01-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Everybody can comment and critique as much as he wants! If I’ve missed something (and I know I did…) you are free to talk it out!

razz
01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Well that is something I was looking forward to and extremely happy to see it!! With all the respect, Bogdan, thank you very much! You won't get any crits from me for that :)
You were so right, it know really feels that I could pick it up rigth from the paper (or monitor in this case). Me likes contrasty images too.
Again, thank you for this :bounce:

SpiritDreamer
01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
HEY...Icey....:thumbsup:

OUTSTANDING TUTORIAL...Icey
GREAT INSIGHT, AND SIGHT YOU HAVE THERE...:applause: MY EYES GO BLURRY, JUST SEEING, AND LOOKING AT ALL THE LINE WORK AND RENDERING YOU'VE DONE ON THAT.:eek:
I THINK YOU MUST HAVE THE SIGHT OF AN EAGLE:bounce:
OR MAYBE I JUST NEED STRONGER GLASSES..AGAIN...:scream:
BEAUTIFUL JOB AND WORK, AS ALWAYS....Icey.:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

rasmusW
01-30-2007, 10:52 AM
hey bogdan!

-not really sure what to say to you. just browsed though your sb (again) and it's looking so unbeliveble good.
your pencil renders are fantastic.

-r

Rebeccak
01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow. Just WOW. Icey, please put your Tutorial together as an independent tutorial (if you don't mind) here:

Tutorials and Workshops (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=199

If you don't mind calling it: TUTORIAL - Traditional Pencil Shading Technique - by Icey
that would be fantastic. Definitely include the PS manips, those are fantastic. Would love to see you include other examples of your work at the beginning or end of your Tutorial as well.

I need to put together your SPOTLIGHT thread soon...your work is truly inspiring. :)

SpiritDreamer
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
HEY....Icey...:)

THINGS THAT GO ...BUMP IN THE NIGHT...YOUR THREAD...:scream:
Took me a half hour to find you way in the back here...THIS WILL NOT STAND..LOL :scream:
Just wanted to say HI, and was wondering what your next venture was going to be...hope everything is going GREAT with your school and all..:thumbsup: ....LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR NEXT WORK...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
02-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I've been skipping this thread for a wile now.... I guess i have few things that i can show... That i want to show...

razz - thanks mate. Glad you liked it! It means a lot!

abyss103 - thank you! I'm planning to raise the level of this thread a little bit...

Rebecca - i don't know what to say to you except thanks again for the things you did.. I think i had my "15 minutes of fame" and i own you this one! :)

Glen - yes, i know... I guess things could have been better the last couple of weeks.. I'm working on something right now, maybe i'll manage a tutorial out of it... But mostly are just doodles from life and imagination - i won't be showing them because they just suck... I'll get back on my feet and just get into serious stuff..... Thank you for digging in for my thread! I'm trying to keep it to surface. :)

Thank you all for the support!!

pushav
03-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Wow great pencilwork!
I enjoy the step by step also

Icey
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
pushav - thanks man...

I know it's been a wile since my last post.. Not much to show on the anatomy part, but i do have some concepts, some twisted stuff...

creatures for the gnomon challenges...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0227.jpg

stuff from imagination

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0229.jpg

Twisted stuff
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0234.jpg

Icey
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
and characters for a new challenge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0231.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0233.jpg

NR43
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
impressive character concepts!

Are these just ideas that come to your mind, which you then draw?
Or are they assignments where you receive some description?
Do you perhaps plan to use these characters at a later stage for a different project?

Just curious ;)

razz
04-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Damn, I love your pencilwork. How many times did I tell you this? But really, man, outstanding! Those drawings would be very good to colorise digitaly.
I like the monster with the huge legs the most, though I think the legs might be a little too big, but what the hell, twisted stuff rules! :scream:

rasmusW
04-27-2007, 10:36 AM
hey bogdan!

those last pencil drawings are amazing. very cool designs aswell. especially on the lady with the big legs and the inca-guy..
they kinda reminds me of some of the pencil renders, that marko djuredevics do (-which is a very good thing, imo.). i just bought his massive black dvd. great stuff.

i would also like to hear your comments on the stuff nr43, asked.

-r

Icey
04-28-2007, 10:53 AM
NR43 - thanks mate! they are my ideas for the challenge description. i'm not planning to use them for other projects, but to get better and do better characters next time! :)

razz - hehehe - thanks razz! I think i'll throw some colour on them when i finish with all the things i have in mind for this challenge. And i agree with you - twisted stuff rules! :)

abyss103 - thanks! i know the look like marko djurdjevic... and here is something i've said to somebody else - "I'm not a Marko Djurdjevic fan, but i damn sure like his linework and his outstanding eye for combining details...Wes burt as well... And i like Wes for the contrast and the outstanding lighting that he throws in his work... I haven't used any of them as a reference, but it's hard to get them out of my head... Maybe with time..." Hope the DVD helps! Cheers!

a new character

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0235.jpg

killermachine
04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
glorious work with glorious pencils in your hands !! ENCORE:bounce: :twisted: :bounce:

SpiritDreamer
04-28-2007, 05:54 PM
HEY....Icey...:thumbsup:

GREAT CONCEPTS...:applause:
That last one posted is my favorite...really different than anything I've seen before...TOTALLY UNIQUE :applause: and as always GREAT TECHNIQUE.:thumbsup:
Always a GREAT pleasure seeing that IMAGINATION of YOURS at work and play...:bounce: :eek: :thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow Icey! Beautiful stuff. That last one is just ace! :thumbsup:

Icey
04-29-2007, 11:31 PM
killermachine - hehe, thanks man!

SpiritDreamer - Thanks Glen! Really appreciate it! I'm trying to figure some things out... I've done the last monster by a happy accident, with some random line, it just pumped out... i think that as random as you keep your work as much chance you have for a unique result. There's a DVD on gnomon by Nick Pugh that's called "originality in design" that says pretty much about the same thing. All the other stuff are inspired by marko djurdjevic and puddnhead, unwillingly because i only had them in my mind, but the last one is something i just went for it. That's why the anatomy isn't quite the academic study of arms and chest, but i just went with the flow and fallowed the basic line, as random as it was. Maybe i can take this experiment further and see what i can get out of. It is very fun to do! Just let your hand move around the paper ...

Rebecca - Thank you! I hope i'll keep it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0236.jpg

this is kind of older.... I received very good feedback on my sofa thread about the composition and the use of light/rendering and focus on the page....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0218.jpg

rasmusW
05-01-2007, 09:30 AM
hey bogdan!

hope you didn't get what i said the wrong way. your characters are 100% your own (-and they look awesome). i think it's just the way, you add value to your drawings which resembles marko's.
that last creature sketch, would be fun to do in 3d. great one.
keep em coming.

-r

Icey
05-06-2007, 12:06 AM
abyss – of course not man!.. I admit i look exactly like those massive black guys! And not only contrast, but the combining of elements and all... As i've said, i had no image of them in front when i was drawing those... that’s why i'm not worried about it... I'd like to see that character in 3D too... Wish i was the one to do that 3D :)

For the same challenge

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0237.jpg http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0238.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0239.jpg

And for a SF magazine..

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0240.jpg

Womball
05-06-2007, 12:29 AM
WOW! The style is very similar to Capcom's character artwork style.

boeserWolf
05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
excellent sketches Icey, i specially like the way you shade things out ... great stuff ... thx :applause: :buttrock:

razz
05-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey man, seriously, you have to paint some of these! With Painter's watercolors, m? Won't have to worry about texture, because the pencilwork is all there with it. And damn I would love to see these in color.
That older one - amazing! Good friends with the pencil aren't you? :D
Oh, what just popped into my mind about these character drawings, they could have a more clearly defined lighting. Yes, I can tell where the light is coming, but, in my opinion, it could be showed more. Maybe it's just me though.

Icey
05-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Womball - i've searched google for capcom, and...... manga?? hell no!! i hate that shit... :DI've noticed that people tend to see what they have in front by connecting that thing to their own experience images... Funny thing... :)

boeser_Wolf - Thanks man! Glad you like them

razz - First of all, you're absolutely right with the light and all... I seem to loose the understanding of shape in primary volumes and that's why it gets so complicated - but i'm fighting with it... it must be damn easy! I'll be painting some things up. I'm already doing that, but nothing finished yet... :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0241.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0244.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0246.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/skita.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0245.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0243.jpg

batte812
05-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Icey, great stuff here; some very creepy characters - and very well drawn. Keep posting!

razz
05-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey, the lighting is much better now! Again great characters from which some should really be painted.
Do you draw any thumbnails before doing a finished drawing of a character like this? Even a few little thumbs could help you a lot in making a better design of a character. You know, maybe you would find something that looks better then something else. I love how the second character from top looks! You must paint it! :D And an environment for him also would be nice, hehe.
Awesome work again, Bogdan.

Eiki
05-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Icey
great character drawings you have here!
You know what to do with your pencil :)

But some of your characters look rather abhorrent, you know? :rolleyes::D:thumbsup:

Wow, Smiley-Action :)
Looking forward to see more of these (or even cuter ones :D).

Icey
05-27-2007, 01:30 AM
batte812 - Thank you!

razz - I am doing thumbnails for some character... Actually i'm doing a lot of quick sketches and if something comes to me, i just draw it on larger and more accurate scale. I do have a lot of problems with character's environment tho' :) Hope you like the paint! Maybe i'll paint the tree-looking guy too... But right now i'm very busy with school...

BapKe - abhorrent is good! Because the theme requires so :) I'll do some happy ones as soon as i get the chance... Thanks a lot!

Here is the colour for the gnomon characters...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0242.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0243.jpg

anandpg
05-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Awesome stuff, Icey!! ... and incredibly creepy!:eek:

SpiritDreamer
05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
HEY...Icey..:eek: :scream: :)

DEFENITLY ORIGINAL, and FOR SURE ..NIGHTMARISH VISIONS ..:twisted: :scream:
A modern BOSH type painting set in a FANTASTICAL LANDSCAPE, would be a great approach to giving these nightmares a home, and a place to roam..:bounce: :)
Maybe a black background with those colored versions would really enhance and strengthen the mood of them...just a couple of passing thoughts..:)
ALWAYS GREAT TO SEE YOUR IMAGINATION AT WORK AND PLAY..Icey..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
10-10-2007, 09:49 PM
anandpg - thank you! your opinion counts a lot!

Glenn - kind of sick too, i must admit... About the backgrounds - i'm never good at them, but maybe with practice i'll get somewhere. Thanks a lot for sticking in :)

Long time since my last post here....

ok.. so this is the final image of the tutorial on my other thread.... Kind of ugly not as a subject but as a drawing...... :( Not very happy with it...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/siamezi6.jpg

LINK - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=458129&page=2&pp=30

abbeytermeer
10-11-2007, 02:44 AM
ooh wiiierrrdd! LOL, but intriguing!! i love your stuff a lot! very cool approach. love the shading in your figures as well. and great form. the cged ones could use some stronger values, other than that, great work :D

anandpg
10-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Kind of ugly not as a subject but as a drawing...... :( Not very happy with it...

damn! you kiddin' me???!!:argh:

Admirable draughtsmanship, Icey!!:scream:

Icey
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Auria - you are right! I'm planning to spend a lot of timefrom now on with my wacom :)

anandpg - :) you're kind! It's not that it is that bad, but .... maybe because my hopes were too high. Thanks so much!

here is something more - i've shown it before, i know.... This is the stuff i like... Very fast and i think i got my speach right in every one...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0248.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0249.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0250.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0251.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0252.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0253.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0254.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0255.jpg

NR43
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
weird is cool :D

these mirrorred drawings are very original and quite lovely to look at, so even if you feel this is not your best drawing ever... it's still great art :)

SpiritDreamer
10-11-2007, 01:44 PM
HEY ...Icey..:thumbsup: :)

Your rendering skill, and draftsmanship are FANTASTIC...:bounce:
I REALLY think that you should put that GREAT IMAGINATION of yours to work, CREATING ...PAINTINGS. .. Along the lines and in the style, YOURS of course, but simmilar to Salvadore Dali...All that your images lack at the moment, are the fantastic fantasy landscapes and perspectives like Dali put his images into.. That sort of imaginative landscape will complement your images greatly, and will bring them to FRUITATION, so to speak..:) Just my opinion here Icey, for whatever it may be worth..:)
Keep up the GREAT WORK, AND PROGRESS ..Icey...LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING LOTS MORE..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

vaaken
10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Sic and beautiful! Really nice penmanship as mentioned. I saw those colored ones you did - kinda reminded me of Carlos Huante's work. I think if you'd go really subtle on coloring you'd get really nice results. Keep up! =)

Eiki
10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Uäh! :scream:
That's a new definition of 'all skin and bones' ^^

Very cool! :thumbsup:

Icey
10-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Glenn - your opinion always counts ;) This monts i'll try to concentrate on digital stuff... hope i'll have the pacience to spend a lot of time with the wacom in my hands...

vaaken - thank you! Not quite carlos huante, but i love the guy! I'll try the subtle colors, but subtility isn't something i can quite work with :D
BapKe - hehehe - thank you!

The digital stuff... A humble begining... (well... not quite begining, but i'm close to...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0260.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0261.jpg

razz
10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I love your freaky stuff! Anorectic aliens of some sort. Ah, the great pencil work, can't stop here without mentioning that, hehe :) Nice colors in the digital ones. Kind of warm-ish but also cold-ish. Done in Painter, no?

Striving for more here!!

ghoul
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Great stuff!

Those drawings are lovely, I don't really remember any drawing I've seen before shock me as much as this! Very inspirational.

More please, as I'm also striving for more! :)

-ivan

SpiritDreamer
10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
HEY...Icey ..:)

GREAT to see you bringing some of these images to full color paintings.:thumbsup:
When doing these, you might try to get a full RANGE of COLOR VALUES in them...just like you do with your pencil renderings..DARK TO LIGHT/LIGHT TO DARK type of thing.
The more values you have in your colors, the more real your images will appear to be.
An example,...Take that purple, and use the full range/spectrum of the color..from the lightest shade of that purple, to it's darkest shade.
Same thing for the orange color.
Try mixing the yellows and purples,...see if you can get a full range/sprectrum of GOLDS from those two colors...Add a little orange, and green to the gold..Try making different shades of gray from different color combinations..use the grays for toning down the colors that are too bright ect. Great for doing shades of skin color.
I think that you can and should try to get a realistic rendering on these fantasy images of yours...like that whisky bottle you painted/rendered awhile back...
That kind of rendering projected into your fantasy images, will give you and your style the realism that will take it and you into a higher level.
If you can, get some books from the library on the works of Salvadore DALI.....Study his painting technique, and try it out on one of your own imaginings...I think that, that is a good direction for you to follow
in developeing your own painting technique,..whether it be digital. or traditional...
Go for realism in your painting technique, just as you do in your drawing technique..:)
ANYWAY, it's great to see you expanding your horizons, and venturing into the realm of PAINTING...I think you will be great at it, just takes alot of practice, and experimentation with COLOR, and all of the VALUES that can be created using it, while capturing the full SPECTRUM that it affords you
Really looking forward to seeing your progress and more of your paintings..and drawings :thumbsup: :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
10-20-2007, 07:21 PM
razz - you are too kind... I'm actually embarased with those... I usualy delete everything that looks like that... They are done in Photoshop... I had no time to practice painter... but i hope i'll manage to figure it out because it rocks!

ghoul - coming right up! :) Thank you!

Glenn - wish i had these kind of replys all the time. Already applyed what you told me! I hope difference will be obvious soon. Thanks a lot!

here is the digital one
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0261.jpg

and something traditional......
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0260.jpg

razz
10-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Haha, you shouldn't delete those. These are great quick practise pieces and they do their job. Looks good to me and I would like to see more of those.
I like the birdie on the right in this latest update. It just looks cute to me. The digital one is too colorful, but that's just for my taste. The lightsource could be more evident. Needs a few more values I think.
Keep updating mate!

Icey
10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
:) thank you... But now is too late... at least i know i've erased a lot more over the months. And i'm not sorry because i know i can do much better... It's like throwing away fast sketches and used paper :)

here goes a new one... i've tried desaturated colors, but i guess it depends on the monitor a little....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0265.jpg

razz
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Ok, but from now on don't delete them :) Or just send them to me before doing so, hehe.
I like the one desaturated more. It's just my preference though. When I paint I tend to go too desaturated. So I guess the middle is the best, between too saturated and too desaturated. Can I wait for daily updates? :bounce:

EDIT: I think you know this artist but just take a look if you don't. HEREEEE! (http://www.kevart.com/main-menu.html)! I think you will like his pieces.

ghoul
10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
...ok some suggestions,

I'm not good with painting, especially with color, but I think I can give a few tips...

The first image, you used very saturated colors as others have pointed out, but I don't think that's the main problem. The amount of one complementary color to another is important... for example you could use 50/50 green to red ratio or 70/30. 70/30 would produce much more appealing thing, drawing the attention to small but intensive red portions. in 50/50 viewer gets lost on the picture as there's nothing to focus and hold attention.

Also another important thing is to have highlights. It'a s good idea to whiten just small dots and lines, like if your object was wet. These add much details as textures usualy tend to be visible on the highlights (specular maps in 3D rendering). These would also help locate the light souce.

hopefully I was helpful :D

if something I stated is false somoene should point it out as I'm by no means expert ... hehe

-ivan

Icey
10-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Razz - thanks man! :) I don't think i'll be able to update daily.... i have a ton of stuff to do and .... no time and no mood for anything. About the link - i know the artist... Llewellyn is an outstanding artist. Too bad he shows very very few works... I hate those artists that keep all the goodies for themselves .

ghoul - Thank you! You are right. I think i could use some color focusing. I'm quite scared of highlighting because i usually ruin everything with it. But hey... if you don't take chances you can't succeed... :)

a new skull thing....
I'll be back to digital soon - school first... damn....
Cheers!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0263.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-28-2007, 07:03 PM
HEY ...Icey..:)

Another FANTASTIC rendering I see...The skull....:thumbsup:
About the intense colors...GO FOR IT...DON'T BE AFRAID OF IT ..The more intense, the better..INTENSE COLOR, IS WHAT FANTASY IS ALL ABOUT ..You can always tone it down later...but the best way to learn color, is to push it to it's limits to start with...you end up making it your friend that way, instead of your advasary..Check out the works of ..BORIS ...You will see the power of COLOR taken to it's limits..:)
Besides his great draftsmanship, it's his use of INTENSE COLOR that make his works so GREAT..:)
ANYWAY,...KEEP GOING,...YOUR FOR SURE ON THE RIGHT PATH..:thumbsup:
Once you start using the PAINTER program that you have, I think your paintings will leap forward ...lots better brushes in there for painting than in photoshop..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Intervain
10-29-2007, 01:25 AM
love the last rendering! Great stuff - some of the ones before are utterly creepy! :surprised:eek: ;)

Icey
11-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey Glenn. I'm not scared of saturated colors. Not at all. I know mostly is about tones contrast and warm/cold colors. But i do think i should stick to a certain level of saturation, because the viewers eyes might hurt and i'll push them away. I have about 450 Boris files on my computer. I know it looks like it, but in fact colors are very desaturated. If you pick them with the color picker, you'll find out that they limit themselves to the middle of the square. It is the power of the contrast that i love about him.... That makes all the money. The painter brushes are far superior to those in photoshop, but i still don't know how to use them properly. But... who knows, in the near future i might switch completely to painter. Thanks for the constant support! ;)

Intervain - Yap... creepy ..... I don't know why i like them... The next ones are actually done for a book - something like a Halloween book..... But in a Romanian mythology kind of way.... Thank you for stepping by!! Cheers!

these are some creatures using some of the topics in the conceptart.org COW.....

kary
11-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Some wonderfully twisted material.

Love the body position and colour in the second last piece. That's a classic 'madness' pose, but you've got a lot of little twists in there that keep it feeling new, great stuff. The critter selection is great as well. The colour scheme on the purple tentacled one feels a bit of a cop out, but other then that they are a solid set of ideas that could be worked up or used populate a world, grats. In the top piece the rolls of fat don't feel integrated, but the head is well rendered with that infantile quality and the blunt broad fingers make for odd / interesting contrast.

Great thread and fun to follow :)

reaveress
11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Loved the zombie concept, only maybe the flesh colour should be more intense? it woul imho contrast the green light nicely)
Love your grotesque style) very nice)

SpiritDreamer
11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
NOV. 09, 2007
I really like this one Icey...reminds me of the predator...DYNAMIC POSE..:thumbsup:
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ICEY_PAINT_OVER.jpg

SpiritDreamer
11-09-2007, 02:08 PM
NOV. 09, 2007

Hi ..Icey..:)

I did a little paint over of your piece, hope you don't mind,..Just wanted to show you what I meant earlier about brighter colors, and the moods that they can create in fantasy art.
Keep going with your explorations and experiments in color and painting..each piece you paint, will be like a stepping stone to your next painting..If you learn even just a little something new in each piece, then you are heading in the right direction..:)
Can't wait to see you get into that PAINTER program..Should be some ..GREAT RESULTS..I THINK..:)
ANYWAY,..Always a pleasure seeing your imagination at work, and your GREAT progress in this new adventure for you of painting that you have, and are entering into..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ICEY_PAINT_OVER_1.jpg

SpiritDreamer
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
NOV. 09, 2007

Hi ..Icey..:)

I did a little paint over of your piece, hope you don't mind,..Just wanted to show you what I meant earlier about brighter colors, and the moods that they can create in fantasy art.
Keep going with your explorations and experiments in color and painting..each piece you paint, will be like a stepping stone to your next painting..If you learn even just a little something new in each piece, then you are heading in the right direction..:)
Can't wait to see you get into that PAINTER program..Should be some ..GREAT RESULTS..I THINK..:)
ANYWAY,..Always a pleasure seeing your imagination at work, and your GREAT progress in this new adventure for you of painting that you have, and are entering into..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ICEY_PAINT_OVER_1.jpg

Agnaldo
11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Icey,

It´s awesome to see how that Board and Forum stuff is usefull for discover new art: my jaws are in the floor with your´s. Really love your Creatures.

You know, It´s the kind of thing I like to draw most and it´s cool to discover artists like you.
In earlier posts you talk about Carlos Huante (another great artist I´ve discovered theses days)...

Keep bringing more Monsters and Creatures to life using your drawing (and now, painting skills). I think all here will enjoy.

Thanks for the daily inspiration man. ;)

Icey
12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
reaveress - i'll keep that in mind for the next photoshop pictures. :) Thank you!

Glenn - hehe :) I know your ways with colors and the saturation you put into your art. But i think that's a little out of control for my powers right now. I think every method or color is powerful as long as it describes the form properly, and that means in my opinion proper contrast and highlights.... (i agree... among others...) The fact is that i'm not good with digital painting and ... i see others do it, movies and stuff.... and it looks easy, but everything goes bad when i try it... :|

Agnaldo - thank you for these very kind words! :) Monsters are best because of the creativity you can put into them... Hope i'll be able to amaze you in the future :)

Here is a new pencil stuff... From life... - i finally procured a doll.. :)

I know it's too much s. barber, but i can't help it...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0268.jpg

anandpg
12-03-2007, 02:26 AM
OMG, Icey!!!... you are a genius with pencil!!! :eek:... :drool:

vaaken
12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Wow, pencil wizardry. May I steal your powers? :deal: Stunning shading work. A bit disturbing piece though. Me like. :cool:

razz
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
OMG, Icey!!!... you are a genius with pencil!!! :eek:... :drool:

Ditto!

Aaand I know you're good with paints too, so a painting like this would be amazing! It is kind of Shawn Barber-ish but hey, if someone has done it, it doesn't mean no one else can ever do it. That is your interpretation of the same theme. We do see many Kongs and Supermans on screen, right?

Icey
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
anand - wow... thank you!! :) It means a lot coming from you!!

vaaken - You can! I stole them from others... many others! And....man it feels good!!

razz - hehe :) thanks razz!! you are right. But sometimes you get to feel much better when you can do something completely unique... Hey... those days aren't over!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0269.jpg

vaaken
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Yay, another baby! :scream: Nice work on this one too. So consistent and confident. You got this thing down.

Btw, which other artist would you recommend looking at for inspiration pencil wise? Other than yourself :bounce:=P I'm sort of trying become a better penciler - need inspiration and practising.

Keep up.

NR43
12-09-2007, 08:49 AM
So what are you trying to say Icey? You don't like babies? :)

I agree with Anand and the others that you're very skilled.
This particular subject: Even if it is a doll, it's horrifying... I am a father of 3 kids (no pun intended) ;)

Icey
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow... long time no see... can't believe it...

vaaken - thank you :):) I don't think i'm the best example to follow, but here are some names that really have outstanding skills:

Kevil Llewellyn

http://www.kevart.com/drawings.html (http://www.kevart.com/drawings.html)

Sergio Sanchez

http://www.sergiosanchezart.com/ (http://www.sergiosanchezart.com/)

Douglas Flynt - i'm not that much into his work because he copies too much the exact things he has in front of him... Never adding a piece of his own inspiration...But he's a good example to start with

http://www.douglasflynt.com/postindex.html (http://www.douglasflynt.com/postindex.html)

Nathan Fowkes - he has the most incredible sketches! Simply love them

http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/ (http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/)

You can check all the teacher names in here : LAAFA

http://www.laafa.org/ (http://www.laafa.org/)

David Kassan

http://www.tsofa.com/viewtopic.php?t=959 (http://www.tsofa.com/viewtopic.php?t=959) (i don't have a better link... )

There are a lot of good names, if you know where to search for them... Sorry for the late answer...

NR43 - :) i love babies! I like horrifying things, even though i'm not a hard metal freak, i'm not dressing out of the ordinary, and i don't act like it... I just like shocking things... I can draw angels if i like, too, but i think i have a good chance that i'll get bored :D

Thank you for sticking with my thread!

Icey

Another baby

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0276.jpg

And digital - i've been struggling with it for a while now!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0273.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0274.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0283.jpg

Intervain
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
:love: absolutely adore those child/doll drawings - can't stop staring actually, friggin' awesome :bounce: :buttrock:

NR43
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
:) i love babies!

heh I think I was missing something :)

Love the 6 legged creature!
And thanks for posting those links... awesome artists!!

anandpg
04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
WOW, man!! Need I say that you rock? :eek: I have book-marked this page!!:buttrock:

Icey
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Intervain- wow... thank you :)

NR43 - :) thank you!

anandpg - hehe :D Thank you!! I'm honored! Glad you like this thread

here a few more
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0287.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0288.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0289.jpg

SpiritDreamer
04-12-2008, 04:45 AM
HEY ...Icey ..:)

VERY UNIQUE IMAGINATION AS ALWAYS..:thumbsup:
Your colors are really getting that vividness that is important to your style of fantasy...GREAT JOB..:applause:
About the shocking babies...I was just thinking that maybe they should have a good reason for shocking,...like maybe being victims of WAR, and TIED into war somehow..Just a passing thought, that might add to the SHOCK EFFECT...:)

A little poem that I just wrote for you, while writing this post.
With your imagination, I bet you could make a visual statment with it, if you wanted to that is..Something worth thinking about anyway..:)

HUMAN BOMBS EXPLODEING
HOLY BOOK EXPLOITING
HEAVENLY DECEPTION
HIS PERVERSE PERCEPTION

Keep up the great work and progress Icey...Always looking forward to seeing MORE..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Icey
04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Hello Glenn!

Thank you! A great idea to go on with a story and war looks the perfect thing. I know some great photographs illustrating the great disaster after the WW2.

Thank you for the poem! :) I think something outstanding can be done on it!

here are 2 PS sketches - now i'm too lazy to get my sketchbook and pencils...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0281-game.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/IceyLord/0282-game.jpg

Icey
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bogdannemes/0291.jpg

NR43
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
awesome fishlike creatures

if you're into something different than working from imagination... would be great if you could join Open Figure Drawing Workshop - HANDS - 023 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=619548)