PDA

View Full Version : XSI Experience Protection

DSedov
03-01-2002, 12:02 AM
What is a protection of XSI Experience? Can I save the scene? What kind of watermarks does it use and is there experation period?

Mike RB
03-01-2002, 12:06 AM
No saving and a water mark (small) on render. Keep in mind the student version is still only 800$. This is not a replacement for that.

Mike

jazzthief
03-01-2002, 12:22 AM
Actually you can purchase the student copy for $495 - XSI Advance,

DSedov
03-01-2002, 12:32 AM
How do you understand that:
"Softimage further distinguishes the Experience CD by making it the only free-access software in the industry to utilize the same file format as its production version. This compatibility means you can load and learn from real production scenes, and are not limited by a special file format."

Does it mean it can only load scenes, but cannot save them?

EdHarriss
03-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by DSedov
Does it mean it can only load scenes, but cannot save them?

That's correct.

sigma
03-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Well thats a shame you cant save. But honestly I dont mind, I just want to test out XSI. The GUI in previous versions of Soft (3.x) always intimidated me for some reason. Im looking forward to this CD pack. The learning material alone will be worth the 4 week wait. Free is good!

:)

dr_bob
03-01-2002, 12:39 PM
I know it's free and all, but I'd still like to see some save function in the demo. Maybe saving to a special file format, like the Maya PLE.

For example, I imagine it's going to a pain trying to learn modeling in XSI if everytime you switch off your machine you lose what you've built up to that point.

Mike RB
03-02-2002, 01:17 AM
it costs 495 for the learning edition. This is the 'experience'. You are NOT supposed to learn to model with it. XSI shouldnt be free, if it was development would halt and that would it be it. I'd rather Softimage collent good coin and continue to develop it.

Mike

Martin-K-
03-02-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by jazzthief
Actually you can purchase the student copy for $495 - XSI Advance,

Actually you can also purchase it for 800 or so "canadian"
which mike was talking about. Since he lives in canada.

Chris Olsen
03-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Why is it that only students enrolled in a full time program qualify as students? I mean if I want to learn the program should that not make me a student. Why is it that all these big expensive software companies don't have products that the everyday normal person can buy, but will have something that will identify it to which software package was used by an unobtrusive watermark. I mean I am simply a hobbyist, but would like to get some experience in all the big programs out there and then maybe make some use of the experience that I obtain either in a company or by freelance. I just don't like the idea that some people, such as myself are left hanging. To be honest it is cheaper to enroll in a full time semester and purchase the software than it is to buy it alone. Softimage is a nice program (from what I have seen and heard) and I would like to be able to learn a program like this, but to really learn something you can't just fiddle with it, you have to work on projects. Seeing as this can't be done with the demo program and it is way to expensive to buy I will probably never be able to learn it. The truth is that software companies could fight piracy more so if they would only have a more flexible product to customers. I am sure most people would rather pay up to $500 for a legit program that comes with manuals than get it off the internet for free. Personally I use Animation Master because it is good for animation, and of course the fact that it is cheap, but I would so love to use a program like SoftImage. From what I hear it is excellent for animation, has an awesome renderer, and provides both NURBS and poly modelling (something I soooo miss).

dr_bob
03-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Mike RB
This is the 'experience'. You are NOT supposed to learn to model with it.

Well, I've always equated video tutorials - included with the 'Experience' - as a learning tool, so what kind of 'experience' does Softimage intend the users to have exactly, if not a learning one?

I'm with Chris on this one - I also think companies should offer watermarked paid for 'student' copies, or saveable demos, or whatever you want to call them, to hobbyists and interested parties. And an upgrade path to the real deal if people decide the program is for them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.