PDA

View Full Version : Aproblem in making the fr2 spotlight looks real!!

glassuse
01-09-2006, 12:51 PM
hi for all members im facing a broblem in making the spot light looks real
http://www.mlfat.com/files/98_1136810708.jpg
im the green image
you can see whats the different!!

can any body help me by making a box that have a light looks like the first picture and post it here
or putting the tut.

i tried to do the fr2 from the manual but i didnt understand any thing

thanQ

AdamT
01-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't know how the artist did it, but one option is to cover the light fixture with a plane mapped with a circular gradient in the alpha channel.

I used this gradient for the attached render:

SteveB
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi - dont know much about it, but the other visuals I have seen that exhibit this effect have used IES light info.

Cheers

Steve

AdamT
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi - dont know much about it, but the other visuals I have seen that exhibit this effect have used IES light info.

Cheers

Steve
Yep, but fR-2 doesn't support IES lights ... yet.

lllab
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
this rendering was done with fr max version as far as i remember. it was also used in advertisment for fr stage1 for max. at least a very similar one.

but edwin said we will get ies lights soon. the fr core supports it for long time.

cheers
stefan

gdimmrt
01-11-2006, 06:30 AM
I haven't tried this but can't you just project a map from the light? I don't know if cinema can do this. I'm a max user btw.

Opelfruits
01-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks for that tip adam

gdimmrt
01-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Ok, here's a scene with a map projected through a light just to show you what it looks like. Looks Pretty good and it's simple too! Didn't use fr for this one but I am a fr user for max. No Gi. Just regular lights.

sketchbook
01-18-2006, 12:08 AM
can someone maybe post a file with the gradient thing on a plane idea? i tried it and cannot get it to work.

you place the gradient in the alpha channel of a otherwise blank material? map it onto a plane in front of the spotlight?

thanks

Ernest Burden
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
you place the gradient in the alpha channel of a otherwise blank material? map it onto a plane in front of the spotlight?

Yes. I keep a spotlight around to use anytime that I alreadt set up with a plane in front of it, and a mat on that with a bitmap of the light 'shape' in the transparency channel (no others on). Remember--you can control light/dark AND color this way.

However, the C4D lights are not realistic enough even with this trick employed, since they do not shine properly on closeby objects. IES files should fix this, so we wait.

Read this thread from a year ago for more:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=208513

Per-Anders
01-19-2006, 05:21 AM
how do you mean they dont' shine properly on close by objects?

make sure you use inverse square falloff for correct light falloff by the way (otherwise it's clamped close by and attenuates incorrectly).

coincidentally i posted my little script for locking a texture tags settings in spherical projection to a spotlights outer angle value here (scroll down) : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3143854#post3143854

which can save you a little time when setting up spotlights with gobos.

Ernest Burden
01-19-2006, 12:58 PM
how do you mean they dont' shine properly on close by objects?

make sure you use inverse square falloff for correct light falloff by the way (otherwise it's clamped close by and attenuates incorrectly).

It being a year ago I don't remember which falloff I used, and it would have been before the newer falloffs were added, also, wouldn't it? I should re-visit the test file to be sure.

AdamT
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
It being a year ago I don't remember which falloff I used, and it would have been before the newer falloffs were added, also, wouldn't it? I should re-visit the test file to be sure.
Yes, the new falloffs are much better in this respect.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.