PDA

View Full Version : OT:New fanless, oil-cooled PC!

DrFx
01-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/) built a silent PC which works immersed in cooking oil!

"And not only did we find that our AMD Athlon FX-55 and GeForce 6800 Ultra equipped system didn't short out when we filled the sealed shut PC case with cooking oil--but the non-conductive properties of the liquid coupled created a totally cool and quiet high-end PC, devoid of the noise pollution of fans. The PC case - or should we say tank - also offered a new and novel way to display and show off your PC components."

Can I have fries with that?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

zed3D
01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Heat and oil don't mix! That is an accident waiting to happen!:eek:

zed3D

Layer01
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
thats crazy lol. imagine having to relpace a part *eeew slimey*
and what if your seal started leaking..what a mess

Eraq
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
HE HE...thats crazy!!!

I wonder how much you could overclock the system before its able to cook some french fried ?

:D

Erik

Beamtracer
01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey, that's cool. Or should I say hot!

I wonder if it runs on 100% pure polyunsaturated vegetable oil, or is it lard?

Simon
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
hahaha crazy!

thats totally mental!

Canadianboy
01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
wow now theres a good deep fryer. Just throw in the fries some checken and let it cook. there ya go! THis guys my hero

slaughters
01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
non-conductive properties of the liquidI don't know about you, but I *want* the heat conducted away from the CPU.

Srek
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm not too marveld by this. Ok, oil can transport heat much better than air, but then what? Without some kind of radiator to do a proper heat exchange that thing will become hotter and hotter until you can realy put your fries in it. Doing this with a metal casing and some big fins on the outside to spread the heat would make sense, but acryl isn't such a good heat conductor and only nice for a short show.
Cheers
Björn

LiiMuRi
01-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't know about you, but I *want* the heat conducted away from the CPU.

I guess that means electrical conductance.

Titan
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Does it really need to use THAT much oil, it would seem if the principle works that they could get by with a smaller quantity...

WingedOne
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
So how are you supposed to upgrade components, or for that matter move it? :hmm: It looks like it might be heavy.

Simon
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Lol, I think some people are taking this a bit too seriously. its just a bit of fun from the looks of it, not a breakthrough in cpu cooling.. :P.

Troy McClure
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
non electrical conductive material tipically are also non thermical conductive meterial.
But oil is liquid and can drain away heat by moving by convective process, thats why they need so much oil.
It can work, but it's insane. I agree with Srek, after a day of rendering it's should smell very bad, and you can put fries (and put your CPU in the bin).

Simon
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
non electrical conductive material tipically are also non thermical conductive meterial.

But oil is liquid and can drain away heat by moving by convective process, thats why they need so much oil.
It can work, but it's insane. I agree with Srek, after a day of rendering it's should smell very bad, and you can put fries (and put your CPU in the bin).

Argh this thread has made me hungry!

I don't believe they put cutting edge stuff in it tho. Like the best processor they could buy. :argh:

DrFx
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Hehe, yeah those guys are a little crazy! It's npt meant to be a "serious" article, though, it's like those experiments in Mythbusters.

DanSilverman
01-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Actually, this is nothing new. If you do a search on techniques for cooling CPUs you will find web sites that talk about immersing the system in oil. Its already been done before.

Hugh-Jass
01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm putting my PC parts in a urinal and then I'm I'm going to have lots of coffee watermelon and beer....

oh wait pee is conductive...oh well another perfectly good idea no longer perfectly good.

noise and PCs and heat and proximity to your ear... gotta be a good simple/inexpensive way to make a really long duct to keep the noise makers farther away... without resorting to liquid cooling

SpiralFace
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
so can I fry an egg on the top of the tower or something? If they let me do that it might burn off some of that oil.

richcz3
01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I know I have been going through allot of chipset fans and ATI Graphics card fans in the past 6 months. Although this really is a seemingly crazy way to cool a system, Apple engineers are probably thinking 3.5GHz right about now. :) Hey if they were willing to go with water cooled 2.5's, a reasonably modified oil cooled rig probably isn't that far fetched. Hmmm. This may seem laughable now, but someone...somewhere is putting 2 and 2 together.

For personal use that weight is a considerable issue. This may be more suited to large rooms of servers. Once the oil gets cooked up, they can convert it for fuel use in diesel vehicles. :thumbsup:

efbie
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM
this kind of things is used since a long time in electronics, but they use special oils that doesn't disolve the plastic. If you have huge piles of money to spend you could buy some fluorocarbon liquids that share most water chemical properties but don't conduct electricity. it cost 500€/L Those liquids are used in anti-fire system in some libraries or server rooms. They are also used to cool supercomputers.

In fact it is much better for your hardware to be imerged in some cooling liquid. There will be far less temperature variations, no dust, no vibrations from fans. The electrical properties of some of these liquids can even make some hardware stuff perform better. And it's silent.
if you use oil you can keep the fans , with the viscosity they won't make any noise.

The risk of overheating is negligible if your tank is big enough. It is of course better if your tank is made of metal but with the huge area of the tank it really doesn't matter that much.

this test is quite serious but they should have used oils made for that purpose.

chrisWhite
01-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I wonder what Boxx would say if you asked them to include a couple of gallons of cooking-oil with your order :scream:

ThE_JacO
01-10-2006, 12:46 AM
how this rates new beats me.

it's the usual case of TH ripping off stuff that overclockers were doing 5 or more years before and awing small time nerds.
People were talking about (and doing) this on overclock mailing lists and on [H]OCP in the past millennia infact ;)

it's not even that well done.

even if you want to cheapen out on the thermal conductor like they did, there's much better low viscosity oils you can use then kitchen or motor oils, and to prevent heating of the refrigerant liquid, when you're dealing with such a large mass, a simple submerged pump to movie through a metal pipe with radiating fins would be more then sufficient and wouldn't add to the noise.

as for overheating the fluid, it would take a lot of heat to get such a mass of liquid anywhere to frying point, I doubt even a 24/7 server would require anything more then passive cooling of the medium if the room is ACed like a proper server room.

just for the record, this has nothing to do with the more common liquid cooling setups.
liquid cooling using waterblocks sitting on the CPU takes advantage of liquid only to shift heat away from the waterblock, but it doesn't, in essence, present that much difference from a normal heatsink, as you still face the problem of the bad heat exchange between metal and metal (CPU cover and heatsink).

submerging is an infinitely more efficient process, and if you have a controlled flow in the fluids in the area around the CPU die you would infact be better off removing the heatsink altogether and relying on the liquid's direct contact to cool everything directly and transport heat much more efficiently.

strosek
01-10-2006, 05:57 AM
To download this video plz give us your name and E-mail addressWTF

LAME.

parallax
01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I suggest THG to follow some basic physics and chemistry classes.

thomaspecht
01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
from the article: "For simplicity's sake, we decided on vegetable oil - but we recommend motor oil."

i'm so looking forward to silent machines that smell like a car engine. still, i guess it must be possible to seal certain components in some watertight package and design an interface to standard mainboards or something. the new intel pentium, boxed version - in oil ;)

at least seems less weird that some of the cooler designs i saw on that tomshardware-site. man, those zalman things look so damn impractical.

TetraLynx
01-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Who wants chicken nuggets? Let me just throw em in here by the graphics card.... Cook for 2 minutes... Oh yeah, nice and crispy!

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2006, 05:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.