PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a newbie question..

Peoples
11-28-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm putting up a personal gallery-page done mostly with flash. My problem is the design of the site. I have a navbar done (a movie clip) which is pretty interactive and works fine. I also have a 3d-cube exported from c4d in its own MC. Now I added a scrollable textbox done with a tutorial from flashkit.com. The scrolling texbox is made in its own fla file and it works great when I test it independently. But when I import it to the main swf - I see no text and can't controll it. I have imported all the stuff from the library to the main wsf's library....?

Generally - how should I manage different flash-components in the main scene? Should I make em all as own movie clips in own levels in the main scene and use tell target or put them all on the same layer? Any good links on the general design concepts of a flash site. My scene is getting slow and the movements aren't smooth...

Any help appreciated - thanks.

proton
11-28-2002, 04:26 PM
I like to make each section a new scene file....

slayerment
11-28-2002, 06:01 PM
i think this is what you need:

when u load the swf in make sure u load it into a blank mc w/ the instance name bin for example. and say on ur other swf the location of it is _root.mc1.text the new location of it after being loaded in would be _root.bin.mc1.text Does that make sense?

also make sure u use around 30fps if ur not already. that will make ur animations smoother.

fig
11-30-2002, 07:22 PM
I avoid scenes personally, they're great to start but as soon as you decide to make a change life sucks :) your best bet is to use individual movieclips for all your items and control them from the main timeline. tell target is pretty much out the window now, in flash 5 and mx its best to use dot notation. to really simply explain this, its a javascript-like syntax to identifying and controlling your mc's. _root designates your main timeline, then you simply identify your other mc's by instance name from there. for example, if you had an mc named "menu" and you wanted that to play on frame 2 you'd have an action on frame 2 that said:

_root.menu.play();

which simply says start at the main timeline, find the mc named menu and then play that mc. by using _root with instance names you can control any mc on your timeline from any other mc. make sense?

chris

error-404-
12-11-2002, 09:09 AM
maybe you should use loadmovie with dropzone, it allows you to have a "light" swf ...

ask if U want more information about it

PS:sorry for my frenglish :thumbsdow

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.