PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to transform an image without loosing the quality?

Mafra
01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
when ever i transform an object and use commands like perspective, wave etc, it looses the quality of the image. i know this can;t be avoided but whats the best way to reduce the amount of detiriation.

Whipyo
01-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Mafra,

Not a lot you can do....you could try the unsharp mask filter. If you are really game, you could try painting some detail back in. Depending on what your image is, you could try and redefine any hard lines or patterns manually with selections and brushes.

If you start off with an image that is huge, do your transformations, warps ets.. and then scale down to your final size, this could possibly help as well.

spmonahan
01-09-2006, 01:16 AM
If you're using CS2 you can also use Smart Objects. By making a layer a smart object you tell PS to reference the original layer - before any transformations - everytime you make a change.

Basically this lets to use transform to shrink a layer down in size and then maybe decide later on that you want it big again without the loss of detail you would ordinarily associate with an opertation like that.

The Total Training CD that comes with PS has a video about this and you can look it up in the help documentation. I don't know if this is what you need, but it may help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 01:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.