PDA

View Full Version : NET | "Self" address?"

tcastudios
01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I think there is a default IP number (-could- be 127.0.0.0) that I can put into the NET- Server "Server.ini" file.
As of now I manually type the current IP as it is given by the ADSL router.

Is the number to be used 127.0.0.0?

Cheers
Lennart

JamesMK
01-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Close though - it's 127.0.0.1

Whether it works for anything C4D NET related, I have no idea, but it's the standard localhost ("self") IP number.

tcastudios
01-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks!
Going thru my little NET garden (G4Dual + G5Dual + G5Quad + G5 Quad) for this years upcomming combats!

Cheers
Lennart

Srek
01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
127.0.0.1 always points to the local machine. If you want to access the net server that is running on your computer then this is the correct IP. However the use of putting it in the server.ini escapes me. The IP adress only needs to be set if you have more then one IP on your system and you want the server to answer to only one of them. If nothing is specified the server will answer on all adresses. Using 127.0.0.1 for this realy pointless since this is the only adress that will never be accessed from the outside.
Cheers
Björn

tcastudios
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I have to confess my network knowledge is very limited. NET have however been very kind over the years.
What I have done when working on site(with loads of machines) is set all machines at 1.0.0.x. 1.0.0.1 being the NET Server. I have then put "1.0.0.1" in the NET Server ini file as well as on all Client ini files. And given the Clients the adress 1.0.0.2 and up plus a unique name.

At "home" in my studio I have just used the IP given by the ADSL router.(So I can use the web as well)

Now, given that the G5 quads have dual ethernet ports (and I have two ports in my "office" G4 as well) my thought was to make a "ones for all" setup. Using one port for "web" and the other for NET.

So would it be better to use "1.0.0.1" for my Server than 127.0.0.1?

Cheers
Lennart

Srek
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
There are certain free ip adress ranges that you can use without risking problems with routing. 1.0.0.x is not one of them. The adress your DSL router got from the Internet service provider should be unique and by reusing it for another system you are asking for trouble.
What you should use is one of the free ranges that are meant to be used inside local networks. One range is 192.168.x.x. It is safe to use 192.168.0.1 for the server and increasing numbers for all other systems (the server does not have to have the number 1 this is just to make numbering easier). Every number between 1 and 254 is valid, 0 and 255 can not be used. Just make sure that your router has one of these adresses on the LAN (internal network) side so you can communicate with it.
Cheers
Björn

tcastudios
01-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Ah. I guess I've been "safe" with my rendefarms using 1.0.0.x because they have not been connected to the web in any way....

Thanks, I'll use the suggested range then. It's all via a normal gigarouter "inside" the ADSL router. I'll connect one port to the ADSL (for web) and the other to the Gigarouter (NET) OK?

Cheers
Lennart

Srek
01-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Ah. I guess I've been "safe" with my rendefarms using 1.0.0.x because they have not been connected to the web in any way....

Thanks, I'll use the suggested range then. It's all via a normal gigarouter "inside" the ADSL router. I'll connect one port to the ADSL (for web) and the other to the Gigarouter (NET) OK?

If "Gigarouter" is the Gigabit switch inside the DSL router then yes.
Cheers
Björn

tcastudios
01-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, Giga -switch- it is. Atm i have all cabled connected to it and one cable from it to the ADSL router and it seems to work fine.

Cheers
Lennart

howzit
01-20-2006, 08:04 PM
i have some machines running on a local network at work. i have some machines at home, can i somehow get the machines to join in on a render? using MacOSx

Srek
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes, it's possible, but unless you have a realy fast internet connection (up and down) it's not worth it.
Take a search on rendering via internet here, this has been discussed several times.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.