PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Driod War Teaser Fall 2006

Spriggan12
01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Star Wars: Driod War Teaser Fall 2006

A fan film series called "Droid War," which follows the visual style of Lucasfilm's Star Wars: Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, has garnered a lot of attention from fans.

"Droid War," created by director Chris Northrop and animator Koy Campbell, will feature a number of 2-minute episodes and characters such as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and General Grievous. The creators are aiming for an August, 2006 release for the first episode.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Droid_War_Teaser_Trailer_96475.asp

gunslingerblack
01-07-2006, 11:35 PM
i dunno, im not really too impressed by the teaser.

it looks like poor quality flash animation coupled with some 3d ships flying around.

jakiloblanco
01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Can they even do that?? The characters look as though someone paused the Clone Wars DVD and re-drew them in flash!!

And yeah... a few of those poses need a couple more IB's :D

Pin_pal
01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
God that looks so lame. But then again, if you have bad taste, you'll love it. Gonna be a hit around here...

DevilHacker
01-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Its fan-made...

Cut them a break. It looks good.
Not great, but still good.
:thumbsup:

spmonahan
01-08-2006, 05:26 AM
I thought the Clone Wars series was pretty cool and this new fan series has the look down. That said I'd rather see this series draw inspiration from Clone Wars and push out the idea in a new direction instead of just carbon copying everything about it as the teaser leads me to believe it will.

xino
01-08-2006, 07:00 AM
This looks like a blatant rip from the series, not to mention terrible. Hopefully they'll squash it before it gets "made".

blkmaJic
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
oh brother :( that's the best they can come up with in this day an' age?????

laureato di arte
01-08-2006, 09:00 PM
oh man...... this has got some real negative feedback, IMHO it doesnt look that bad, its fan made, and i respect the persons dedication to make the animation and to get it aired.

Solothores
01-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I like it.

xino
01-08-2006, 10:49 PM
oh man...... this has got some real negative feedback, IMHO it doesnt look that bad, its fan made, and i respect the persons dedication to make the animation and to get it aired.

While I'm all for fan-based animation, movies, comics, etc., you can easily tell the people responsible for this "work" didn't actually do any work. They just ripped it from the cartoons themselves, which is stealing. It's not even borderline theft like alot of fan-fiction stuff out there. I find it atrocious.

Pyke
01-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Its theft cos its in the same style as the original program?

Please show the shots side by side with the originals to back up your statement, or are you just falsly accusing?

Personally I think its cool that someone is trying to do something different in the fan film genre, esspecially something that involves what many people see as a 'dying' artform (2D Animation).
The worst that could possibly come out of this film is that it inspires others to follow in the footsteps and make their own 2d animations.

gunslingerblack
01-09-2006, 05:43 AM
i just wish they woulda stepped it up abit for the animation, i mean, take a look at puccaclub for an example of crazy flash animation. it can be done,

it is a fanfilm so it's already got the fanfilm stigma about it they have to do something to set them apart besides using tartakofsky's style of artwork.

xino
01-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Eh, I wrote a long reason why I could prove that this definately appears to be ripped, but I realize it's pointless to argue about it. Either you think it's original or it's not.

I personally haven't seen anything yet that proves to me it's original.

And to the poster below me: that was constructive. Thanks.

SOE digital
01-09-2006, 07:43 AM
xino, you need to get out more.

Pyke
01-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Eh, I wrote a long reason why I could prove that this definately appears to be ripped, but I realize it's pointless to argue about it. Either you think it's original or it's not.

I personally haven't seen anything yet that proves to me it's original.

You dont need an essay to prove if its original or ripped. Just post two shots side by side, one from the 'original', and one from the fan version. If the two frames are the same...then its ripped. If they are different...then its...well...not ripped.

I personally haven't seen anything yet that proves to me its ripped.

slaughters
01-09-2006, 11:29 AM
It's a fan film. Done in someones sparetime because they loved the original series. The quality will not be the same as a professional production with a budget of millions. It will look like the original, because that is what the fans are paying homage to.

I'm not quite sure where the semi-viscious attacks are coming from.

Slurry
01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree with Slaughters.

It looks pretty good. I don't think the grabbed frames from the series and copied them. The drawings are not as strong as the original series.
But animation, in any form, is a lot of hard work. Although the teaser doesn't show much (hence the term teaser) I'm sure they put a lot into it.
Since it is fan-based, and they are fans of Genndy Tartakovsky's series Clone Wars, it makes perfect sense to draw their homage-film in that style.
It appears that one or both of these guys work at Nickelodeon so that helps explain the relatively impressive production quality.

Let's try to be more positive here guys. Creating anything like this is hard work.
Good for these guys for even trying.

Art

darthviper107
01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
If anyone can do better than what they are doing, please enlighten us, it's 2D animation not 3D it's not supposed to look amazingly real or anything like that. And for looking like the official Clone Wars series, what other way would it look? If they did it as a different style then you people would probably criticize it even more. And on the question of legality, yes it is legal, they are allowed to do it, as long as they don't make any money on it--which is the same for all fanfilms.

Spriggan12
01-10-2006, 01:39 AM
ha ha ha

This is very funny, I posted this as cool CG news and we have people riping the legistics of a "fan film." These fan film people use what ever resources they have available to them to make a movie, a dedication if u will on something they love and enjoy. And we as professional cgi artists rip them. How wrong is that? This was a news related post for enjoyment. NO where did it read "offer your critique" which seems to be all we're good for nowadays.

Its fan film, is it the next earth shattering cgi related short film? Hmmm No. Is it entertaining? We won't know till late 2006 when its released, but it looks promising.Its being made from people with less 3D/2D skills as some of you, BUT its getting online and all u can do is cut it down!

Get real.

KL

gunslingerblack
01-10-2006, 04:35 AM
edited post for fact of anal retardation

Bonedaddy
01-10-2006, 04:54 AM
you posted this in the general discussion

He posted this in CG News, actually.

</anal retardation>

gunslingerblack
01-10-2006, 04:55 AM
haha

JASOWNED

that was quite awesome

DEFEATED

xino
01-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Personally, I don't think I'm actually shooting this project down. I'm just stating my opinion that it doesn't look like original artwork. I doubt anyone here can say definitively that this is real or not since none of us have actually seen the finished product.

Having said that, I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else. I'm all for fan works, but only if it's 100% original. If it is, then more power to them. If it's not, then I'm not surprised since this happens every day somewhere on the internet where someone's copyrights and intellectual property rights are stepped on.

No one can say either way if it's all original or not. I'm only stating my opinion. Don't turn this into some personal attack or personal debate because everyone doesn't agree.

Ultimately, this affects very few people here one way or the other. However I'm sure we can all agree that if some or all of the work is taken from the original cartoons, that it's a terrible thing. We shall have to wait until a final product is actually released to the masses to know for sure, and even then it can be left up to speculation.

deadplant155
01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
i haven't been able to see the trailer, won't load for me for some reason, but you guys, someone worked really hard on it, and thought it would be a good idea to post here. do you have to be so negative? again, i haven't seen it, if it is a ripoff, then shame on them, but it's just cuz they liked the show and wanted to pay homage. it's just, be constructive at least, if you can't be encouraging, is it really worth it to take the time to make somebody feel worse about themselves? sorry, just my two cents...

-L

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.