PDA

View Full Version : difference between Photoshop and illustrator

th3dark0ne
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
For doing simple 2d drawing which is the better software, i have photoshop but i've heard some people using Illustrator for doing the basic sketchs, which one is better for doing this?

BlueFlare
01-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Drawing sketches with a tablet in Photoshop is a lot easier than drawing vectors in Illustrator.

Jack Youngblood
01-07-2006, 10:25 PM
The difference is between Vector and Bitmap. Suitable for different kinda things.

Vector = editable, tricky to use pen tool, flat, resolution independent (infinitely scalable)

Bitmap = not so editable, intuitive, resolution-bound, not flat (can incorporate photos, clones etc into drawing)

spmonahan
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
If you want something to be more like drawing on paper I would recommend a tablet and Photoshop (Alias Sketchbook is supposed to be good as well but I have not used it).

If you want something that will produce crisp, clean lines Illustrator is your answer. The caveat is that learning Illustrator can be very difficult to learn as it's very different working with vectors compared to just about any other 2D graphics apps.

It would also depend on what the end use of these sketches is going to be. Vector artwork tends to be a little more labor intensive if you want something quick and intuitive - just my opinion though.

th3dark0ne
01-08-2006, 10:34 AM
thanks for the replys, i think photoshop with a tablet will be the best thing for me

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.