PDA

View Full Version : Nightime Scene, Wesball (3D)

Wesball
11-28-2002, 12:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/5829/nighttime_scene_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/5829/nighttime_scene_large.jpg)

Playing with lighting and mood. Whatcha think?

proton
11-28-2002, 12:45 AM
Holy Crap ....I love it!

Reminds me of something from a childrens book....whats it for?:bounce:

Wesball
11-28-2002, 12:57 AM
I'm stunned.... the famous Proton has given little ol' me a compliment. I don't know how to react!:eek: heh heh...

... and after not even a minute of posting the thread!... you're fast!

Thanks.

Its for a short I'm making for my thesis in film school. We don't do animation, we're all film and live action, but I've always done this as a hobby and decided to try to throw some CG into the mix.

The short film incorporates a little girl in live action who tells a story, which as an audience, we see come to life... in CG animation.

so thats where this image came from... just another shot I've finished.

Wesball
11-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Oh yeah. If anyone wanted to know... its all lightwave.

LONG LIVE NEWTEK! :buttrock:

proton
11-28-2002, 01:05 AM
please keep me (all of us) posted onthis project....this is one of my favorite styles and I wanna see more stuff like this....

if you have any more images to share please do....and please sen this one into the LW gallery over on the LW site....it has to be in the next update to the gallery!

GREAT WORK!

KillMe
11-28-2002, 01:15 AM
wow that is really good - seriously jeoulos of your skills =)

DigitalDeuce
11-28-2002, 02:07 AM
Great mood !!

Oh wow, yeah -- I like it.

reminds me of a painting. Nice work.

Omto
11-28-2002, 02:13 AM
I usually just lurk around here.....but this picture caught my eye...definitely different style and if it was mood you wanted..then you got it.

Hopefully I can start posting images soon too.......

minus
11-28-2002, 02:17 AM
Great Job! -- No crits here... I like everything about this image..

stillvapour
11-28-2002, 02:41 AM
like it.
the mounts in the distance looks a bit too clear for me. things may be more blurry in night.and the clouds above dont like cloud in night should be.
but as it's a fantastic sence,a white cloud actually make it more fancy,hehe.
great job afterall,that the style i like! :beer:

proton
11-28-2002, 02:42 AM
could you send me a nice wallpaper size image for my desktop....

:drool:

proton
11-28-2002, 02:43 AM
almost forgot:

williamv@newtek.com

Steve Warner
11-28-2002, 04:37 AM
Awesome work Wesball!

And Proton, don't bogart the wallpaper! :shame: Make it available for all of us! :bounce: :beer: I want one too! :)

Steve

zzzrByte
11-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Great job! :drool:

I saved it in my Inspiration folder....

By the way, how did you do the background sky? It's beautiful!

alaklij
11-28-2002, 05:28 AM
My first impression: Very nice!

abercrombiestud
11-28-2002, 07:20 AM
wow that is like awsome. very very good i wanna learn how to make and do that

Wesball
11-28-2002, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies, you all definately inspire me to keep pushin' on.

Hopefully, If I can finish the movie in time, I can show more images. :-)

I never actually intended at first to have a nighttime scene like this, but for some reason, this lighting scheme got stuck in my head, and I had to try to get it down in CG.

As you may have noticed, its not necesarrily supposed to be "photoreal". It is supposed to look cartooney...(is that a word?).. and stylized, but while not straying too far from "true-life"

The whole thing is created in Lightwave, and since it is actually an animation... its rendered out in different plates (the sky, the hills, the tree and grass) and then composited in in AfterEffects along with a little color correction.

And to zzzrByte (and anyone else who wants to know)...

...The grass is sasquatch, the sky is SkyTracer2, and I have to give a big thanks to Pawel Olas for the totally awsome Tree Designer plugin... Its absolutely amazing... I would definately recommend it for creating trees.

Right now its only at video resolution, but as soon as I can I'll render up a High Rez comp of it for you guys...

thanks everyone!:D

Werner
11-28-2002, 08:58 AM
this is beautifull! I can't wait to see more. :bounce:

LordShaitan
11-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Stunning! Absolutely stunning! Im about to take part in a night scene as well, great stuff! Im still in awe, very very nice!

xtrm3d
11-28-2002, 10:02 AM
yeaahh.. i find it relly good..
i love such style ...
a bit of feery cartoon..

really nice mood..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dark_lotus
11-28-2002, 10:19 AM
That is soo eerie. I love it. Fantastic work.

Can we give him a cg choice award?? Anybody??

Its amazing.!!

LordShaitan
11-28-2002, 10:20 AM
I second dark_lotus!!!!!

Facial Deluxe
11-28-2002, 10:22 AM
xcellent mood ! congrats !

Kaiser_Sose
11-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Very nice, great job :bounce:

How were the leaves made

MrWyatt
11-28-2002, 12:26 PM
is that treedesigner you are using? tell us some more about the techniques you used to achieve this.

MrWyatt
11-28-2002, 12:27 PM
oh, my fault. just read you really used treedesigner.

anieves
11-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Sky Tracer2 for the sky? really? including the clouds? I haven't seen clouds like that from SkyTracer2... Nice work! Really beautiful:thumbsup:

NY3D
11-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Breathtaking. Awesome clouds.You know your stuff dude.

Ryan-B
11-29-2002, 01:01 AM
Two thumbs and two big toes up!

LordShaitan
11-29-2002, 01:20 AM
WTF? No award yet?

dies-irae
11-29-2002, 10:31 AM
yeah!!!
cgtalk's choice... we choose it!!!:wavey:

great image, would you care to render a 1280x1024 one? (dont know why that resolution happens to come to my mind... :p)

and would you care to tell us a bit of how you did it?

great work!

CourtJester
11-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Number two image for my inspiration folder. (Right next to my collection of fantasy art from aumania).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nicool
11-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Relay right done!:thumbsup:
:shame: Note I thing the ray in the sky souldn't exist!

Regards

facial
11-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Nice work, Keep post more :applause:

dobermunk
11-29-2002, 02:30 PM
I love this style - really crisp night mood! Great!

Critique: The grass looks a bit too hairy. I'd up the coarseness and set tapering to 95 or 100.

digitaldamage
11-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Awwwwww!

Absolutely one of the most beautiful 3D scenes iīve ever seen. If not the best.
Spectacular lighting out of "nothing". (Donīt get this wrong. What i mean is that thereīs the moon only as a visible lightsource, nevertheless it looks amazing!)

:applause:

parallax
11-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Top-notch,
really nice and playfull.
put me down for one.

PotatoHead
11-29-2002, 03:58 PM
AWARD!! AWARD!! AWARD!!

all together now - "AWARD!! AWARD!! AWARD!!"

:wip: WE chose it, its the CGTalk Choice Award, isnt it? :wip: :applause: :applause:

AJ
11-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Ooh - Lovely! :D

Dr BeN
11-29-2002, 05:16 PM
looks very nice ....

but reminds me a little at "tireswing.com" a little advert for maya a time ago .

great lightning though !

chepe297
11-29-2002, 06:37 PM
mmm... I love the atmosphere... this is probably one of the best night scenes that I 've ever seen... :)

By the way, what are those white ball things in the back ground? Rocks? sheeps? Also that's that thing right next to the tree?

I am just curious... :scream:

RockinAkin
11-29-2002, 07:18 PM
Fantastic image!
I love the atmosphere.

Please post a larger wallpaper version!!!
And if you could, give us some info on how you made it.

-DivdeByZero-

Wesball
11-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone... I'm astounded you all like it so much.

I apoligize I haven' posted a wallpaper version of it for everyone... I'm trying to finish the movie by Dec. 14 and I've got alot of shots to finish still.

I promise I'll render out a higher rez image as soon as I get some time.

chepe297:

Those mound things are actaully far away trees, its hard to tell at night, but in the day render you can really see them well.

that object next to the tree is a cardboard box, its what the character uses in a scene later in the movie.

Here is another image that goes along with the shot... the shot does a little timelapse dissolve thing from daylight to night to morning.

I'm still working on the morning shot.... the lights aren't quite right, you'll notice there are several different light directions... but time is unfortunately breathing down my back.

anyway thanks all.

santiago
11-29-2002, 10:45 PM
wow, that is beautiful.
Of course, I prefer the night time scene far more, but the day time version looks great!
I can tell that this is the angle in which you imagined that scene, correct? How does it look from other angles?

lildragon
11-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Wesball you got a really good thing going here bud, the night scene has massive potential for classic storytelling, you must do us all a favor and get a wallpaper size render out a.s.a.p! In the meantime I'll just mark this down for our upcoming hall of fame gallery :D

You have recieved the CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Congrats again, extremely well done

upon recieving this award, it gurantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - well it becomes available

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

kretin
11-29-2002, 11:18 PM
I love the style. You've really excelled with the whole scene.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you achieved the night sky using Skytracer?

Can't wait to see the finished movie...

LordShaitan
11-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Looks beautiful again, and finally you get the award you deserve. Keep it up!!!

proton
11-30-2002, 12:16 AM
I'd send the daytime pic into the gallery as well....love this stuff:thumbsup:

eLm0
11-30-2002, 12:22 AM
@#$^&%@ --ing awesome absolutely amazing i know your under deadline but there are like many ppl on cgtalk anicipating your backround quick render out plzzzzzz also will your animation be on a webpage after the 4th? cause if the animation is as good as that render:bounce: soo pumped up for it hehe all hypo KEEP IT up :beer:

pighat
11-30-2002, 02:20 AM
Man that looks sweet...! Could we see a wireframe?

:beer:

Kaiser_Sose
11-30-2002, 02:29 AM
This is another brilliant scene from Wesball

http://www.mindscheme.netfirms.com/Images/PAGEIMAGES/WideShell.jpg

When you get some free time a nice little environment tutorial would be cool

Wesball
11-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Actually... this is the final. Heh Heh:D

Wesball
11-30-2002, 03:21 AM
pighat:
Here ya go. The messy wireframe, the flat shaded, and the birds eye view of the world.... taht bright spot in the middle is the hill and camera and lights.

eLm0:
I'll try, I have to find a server... also, its the 14th not he 4th. :D ... I'd die if it were the 4th... still have to sound design, mix, and edit. YIKES!!!

SplineGod
11-30-2002, 03:52 AM
Great looking shot! It really has a distinctive feel and mood to it. :)

proton
11-30-2002, 03:53 AM
thanx for the behind the scenes peek....

funnydoodle
11-30-2002, 04:04 AM
whoah thats a huge and heavy scene! wonder if my pc can handle a scene as huge as that......

Wesball
11-30-2002, 04:23 AM
I don't have an insanely fast computer or anything... just a 1.2 AMD

I render in passes though.... Hills and background to use as a still, then the foreground full frames.

Then I'll take the still BKG and composite it in After Effects to move the clouds and stuff.

problably takes 3 or 4 minutes or something total (don't hold me to that). The tree and grass is the time consuming part. ( I think 2.5 minutes per frame)

john doe
11-30-2002, 06:19 AM
superb work!! i know there's many people out there rushin for you to post more but we wouldn't want you to sacrifice your time on your final animation,
-so good luck and keep up the good work-
:beer:

eLm0
11-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Sweet 14 more days not to shabby heh what is this for i think you said thesis but like what degree diploma? if you need space for upload i seriously suggest 3dluvr or um lightwave site sure they wouldn't either i'll be back in 14days:thumbsup:

eLm0
11-30-2002, 07:52 AM
wouldn't mind grammar error

say-g
11-30-2002, 08:10 AM
I really dig this style, and appriciate the behind the scenes look!

:buttrock:

Wesball
11-30-2002, 08:46 AM
eLm0:

Its my thesis film for the Florida State University Film School. Its shot on super 16mm and involves a lonely little girl who retreats into her imagination to escape reality. So it cuts back and forth between live action and CG.

As she developes this story in her sketch book, she inadvertantly gains an audience of other children, and by the end of the movie she has a group of kids that all look up to her and ask for another story.

We don't do CG stuff at the film school.. this is the first animation attempt for the school.

The first for me as well. I've always dabbled here and there with CG. My last film had a floating robot head, but that was the extent of my CG work.

I wanted to try and really push my self for my thesis film, and I'm afraid I've bitten off more than I can chew. I'm kinda learning as I go you know. Full CG animation is much more time consuming than I thought. Anyway, its a hell of alot of fun figureing it all out. :surprised

Its a great learning experience for me... I hope to do another full CG short on my own when I'm done with this one. I've had this great idea involing an origami bird for al ong time, but decided not to do it just yet becuase I didn't know enough.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah...boring I know...thats where this CG stuff fits in the grand scheme of things.

Wesball
11-30-2002, 08:55 AM
BTW

This is the first CG character I did back a couple monthes ago for my last film.

He only has a small part in the short film. But he's what pushed me to tackle this current project. :-)

The film is called Jacob: The Move.... its a silly cartoony adventure.

SplineGod
11-30-2002, 08:55 AM
I wouldnt teach CGI at a film school either...who ever heard of mixing CGI and film? :)

LordShaitan
11-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Batteries not included anyone? Your just putting the rest of us noobs to shame. Great stuff, keep it up

lmc
11-30-2002, 01:29 PM
Wow.,.....really good...its so amazing...good job:applause: :beer:

derErschaffer
11-30-2002, 02:56 PM
no words...:applause: :applause: :applause:

[msf]
11-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Hah small world wesball. I live right up the street from FSU and will be tailgating for the FSU vs Florida today. I have heard good things about FSU's filmschool although I still go to that little ivy league school over in the woods. TCC :P

Wesball
11-30-2002, 09:09 PM
thats crazy!:)

it is a small world.:D

mbaldwin
12-01-2002, 01:42 AM
there's a film from 1988 that's worth a look--it sounds like it shares some of your themes(I don't know if that presents good inspiration or unnessessary clutter at this point for you!). It's called Paperhouse. worth a look.

great scene(s) by the way. keep up the excellent work.

jtk77
12-01-2002, 02:06 AM
womderful! Is that the Alias tree and swing ? :)
hah i remeber they used one in a demo for a long period of time.
One thing though that my lighting instructor in FILM classes always used to yell about.. NIGHT AN"T BLUE!!
but in your case it lokks wonderful. I want to live there.

LordShaitan
12-01-2002, 03:37 AM
There isnt fire and sound in space either, but tell that to hollywood. Its one of those "It cant really happen, but the general populus thinks thats how it is, so give them what they want or they will be confused"

Wesball
12-01-2002, 05:55 AM
technically....moonlight is blue if you use tungsten film which is balanced for 3200K.... also, I didn't really use blue light in that shot anyway... for films I have shot I like to use a sort of aqua greenish-blue so thats what I tried to get in that shot.

And what is this "Maya swing" thing everyone keeps mentioning... I've yet to take a look at Maya, I've been with lightwave for a while and I don't see myself leaving it.... so I have to say if its anything like mine, its just coincidence.... I was inspired by a shot in Toy Story though... there is a shot of a tree with a tire swing in the movie.

:D

KotsVlok
12-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Holy shittttt!!!...damn, those are really breathtaking scene's you made there, really!! 2 thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...cool that you posted the 'behind the scene' pics, really love looking at them...Keep up the good work! :beer:

//btw, that box next to the tree in the nightscene...it has something creepy...i dunno why :eek:

BassoLTD
01-31-2003, 02:22 PM
You hear this guy? CG as a hobby. Pfff... HAHA
Awesome work man. Love the scene. Looks great. Keep it up, and keep posting further developments.
:bounce:

~Lawrence:surprised

4dartist
01-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Aye that first Render is amazing.. puts you right in the mood! Wow very impressive!

Irie
01-31-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey Wes, any chance we can watch Jacob: The Movie? I have seen several films done by FSU students thru the fsu.edu site... but i cant view yours... is it possible?

matt

Wesball
02-01-2003, 12:47 PM
How in the world did you find that site? :)

This thread is kinda old, so I don't remember if i ever mention Jacob... di you just stumble onto it..... just curious?

Anyway, I've had a talk with my school about getting my 3 films up on the site... and basically its not going to happen for a while I guess.

Because my films are still going to festivals and competitions, and they are planning on submitting my latest film to the Student Acadamey Awards (wouldn't that be cool?)... I'm not supposed to show it anywhere other than festival events or I won't qualify for the competion.... I'm not exactly sure what the deal is ... but I'm just going with what my school tells me... sorry...

I'll post a thread if it does become available....

If you really want... you can email the school protesting that it should be up on the site.... maybe they would do it if someone other than me complains that it isn't up there.

:rolleyes:

lildragon
02-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Wesball

This thread is kinda old, so I don't remember if i ever mention Jacob... di you just stumble onto it..... just curious?

You haven't been to the CGTalk gallery have you ;) http://gallery.cgtalk.com :)

salud

Wesball
02-01-2003, 01:06 PM
whoa sweet!

Firelark
02-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Cool!:applause:

Irie
02-01-2003, 03:28 PM
wes,

thats a good question, heh. i think was home from school (UGA) one night at my parents was superbored, and a little concerned over what I planned on doing after graduation. So i started looking around and went to fsu.edu and checked out the film section. I actually ended up watching about 10 movies that night, and most were pretty decent little shorts.

I was impressed at how they had them all available for download, but i see that has changed.

Congrats on the possible Academy Award trip... There is a possibility that something im working on will be submitted to the college emmys :) just gotta finish the shit now.

By teh way, you mentioned jacob very early on in the thread and i cruised over to see if i could find it. :)

lets us know if it comes up soon! good luck!

HowardM
04-05-2003, 06:56 PM
incredible work! :)
so is there a tutorial yet on how you got the nice nightime lighting?

Chruser
04-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Here's a small tribute to my favorite image. I hope I won't get sued for this. :applause:

http://hem.passagen.se/chruser99/serapiatree.txt

ChrisBasken
04-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Jealous...

Wesball
04-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Sweet.

I like it. :D

I haven't visited in a while... been so busy with moving and looking for a job. I'm glad to see people still find their way to this thread.

I honestly don't even know where to start as far as a tutorial goes... if anyone has any ideas on what they would like me to show... I'll see if I can whip something up quickfastandinahurry.

~wes

HowardM
04-13-2003, 09:47 AM
im confused about that sepia toned image...is that a replication of your image or just a sepia toned version?!

anyway, how about a tut for the clouds and volumetric sky?

leigh
04-13-2003, 10:23 PM
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! :surprised

That's BEAUTIFUL work, Wesball :applause:
I love the nighttime one the most - such great atmosphere. Wow :thumbsup:

mikefeil
06-08-2003, 02:20 PM
whateva happend to the high rez vers.....I sure want this as my wallpaper

thanx :)

proton
06-08-2003, 03:45 PM
I need an updated wall paper.....send it to us...please :)

sebek27
06-08-2003, 05:08 PM
its rendered out in different plates (the sky, the hills, the tree and grass) and then composited in in AfterEffects along with a little color correction.

so basically you save each piece ex: sky moving as one animation or as mov file ? then import all into separate layers into AE ? basically so you can have the sky moving and the hills stay put ...
awesome work by the way :applause:

SplineGod
06-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by sebek27
its rendered out in different plates (the sky, the hills, the tree and grass) and then composited in in AfterEffects along with a little color correction.

so basically you save each piece ex: sky moving as one animation or as mov file ? then import all into separate layers into AE ? basically so you can have the sky moving and the hills stay put ...
awesome work by the way :applause:
You would probably just export each part as individual frames and then do your compositing. :)

Troy
11-13-2003, 10:05 PM
This is beautiful, it reminds me of Shrek environments...

Th clouds are brilliant, i'm trying to achieve something similar in Maya, but haven't got there yet.

anyway, great work!

HieSpike
11-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Are you guys all insane. No offense, but this is pretty weak.
And it's basically a rip off of the park scene from Toy Story 2.

Come on...wake up everyone. Again, I don't want to be rude to the artist....but I'm upset at the posters lack of - how should I say - taste.

_ thinking to myself _ hope I'm not missing something.

oh well.

VerticalVertex
11-16-2003, 09:10 AM
That some work you got there.

Wesball
11-16-2003, 09:55 AM
well HieSpike,

What can I say?...

For one this is an old image... almost a year old now.

And although I don't agree, if your gonna say I ripped off someone... I'm glad you said I ripped off the best animated film I know of. :)

Anyway, this is one of my many shots that is in my animated short called A Work In Progress, which (this is a shameless plug) I won a Student Academy Award for in July.

So... thanks for the comments.... both good and bad ;)

HieSpike
11-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Well,

Congradulations on your Student Academy Award, espcially since your a lightwave artist - there aren'y many of us left.

So, where can I see your animation and your current work?

shade_E
11-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Awsome LIGHTING!!
WOW!

Troy
12-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Was there ever a desktop render of this?

and I'd still love to know how you achieved the nightime lighting and stuff...

respect.

Wesball
12-03-2003, 09:52 PM
I do have a desktop render somewhere.

I'll have to dig it up.

As far as the lighting goes...

I love nightime tones. I tend to use a greener blue than most people, but I just like the way it looks.

The strongest light is backlight.

For the background hills, its a really bright distant light.

For the foreground, becuase its sasquatch, I used a spotlight. Other than a bit of fill that is about it.

This is the simple version of the process... of course there is a lot of tweaking, and I do use several other small lights, but for the most part... its all in the back lighting.

The clouds are skygen... due to the fact that in the actuall shot, it dissolves from daytime, to nighttime and i didn't want the elements to change execpt for the lighting.

Anyway, does that answer any of your questions?

Let me know if you want to know any more. :)

SplineGod
12-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Wesball, regardless of how you did it or what it resembles it simply looks great to me. Nice job! :)

Wesball
12-03-2003, 10:19 PM
well thankya sir. :)

chlywly
12-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Very nice, but looks more like a faery tale than a nightmare :)

Wesball
12-04-2003, 02:19 AM
nightmare?

DoLeeP
12-04-2003, 07:42 AM
:thumbsup:

Aimes
12-04-2003, 12:35 PM
very nice scene :thumbsup: keep it up:beer:

Troy
12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey Wesball, I am trying to create a hilly landscape of my own, but I don't know where to start with terrain - is yours simply a sculpted/displaced plane for the hills etc?

And your clouds are beautiful, hows does skytracer work? - do you create a dome around the scene or are the clouds arranged vertically behind the hills?

I have attached an image of an evironment from the shrek2 trailer, and was wondering, how would you create landscape like that in the distance, without a matte painting?

thanks alot!

ejtrowbridge
03-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Terrific job man, the look is really incredible.

I have it as my desktop now, but a high-res version would really be nice. Cheers to you! :thumbsup:

PO-8
05-09-2005, 08:38 PM
very nice picture, i would like to see it in your movie, to see how it move and how it's mixed with scene made with camera...

Your render is great, the jpeg compression does not improve your picture, but it looks great!

great work!

Djuls
05-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Very nice picture !

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Fashinating picture.

dahoo0810
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I think the colors are great, however, something about the clouds and stars doesn't seem right, unless you aren't going for a realistic feel. The grass and tree looks perfect. Good job!

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.