View Full Version : Matte Painting - 'Depths of Ador' animation

Dalaran AW
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Matte Painting : Depths of Ador
Name: Justin van der Lek
Software: Photoshop, Combustion, XSI
Time: 1,5 month

Hi there...

A couple of months ago I posted my Matte Painting still here : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=262166&highlight=Ador

And a couple of weeks ago I decided to try and bring the still matte painting to life by using XSI Camera Projection, and some compositing with Combustion.

This is the breakdown of the shot and the animation how it ended up. Hope you guys enjoy -> http://www.dalaranfx.com/video/Ador_mattepainting.mov

Greetz,
Dalaran Aw
www.dalaranfx.com (http://www.dalaranfx.com)

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/26986/26986_1122403770.jpg

Adriano-Zanetti
01-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I do enjoy :thumbsup: ! neat work man, thanks for sharing !

pe@ce

Adriano

lostPin
01-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Looks great, neat, and professional. Is that a reflection in the lava? Its a bit strange...Anyway, great work!

Dalaran AW
01-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi there...

Thanks for your replies.

Adriano: he dude... thanks for motivate me to post my stuff :) hehe glad you like it!

chikos: thanks for your crits. there is not a reflection in the lava but more a color/heat temperature thing. as the lava is coming more towards the edges/borders it tends to cool down more and seem darker in color.

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

Adriano-Zanetti
01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Adriano: he dude... thanks for motivate me to post my stuff :) hehe glad you like it!

Man, I really like your paintings, this one fosho, and that one published in "d'artiste",

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/zanetti/preview/dartiste.jpg

Huumm... what was that ?? ...anyway, beyond the matte painting, it's always kinda cool to know, and even better to watch, what use you can make out of it, very cool of you to have dissected it that way in your little movie. Once again, thanks for sharing.

pe@ce

Adriano

Dalaran AW
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Whuahahaha...

Thats just awsome... you got the book! Yes one of my older mattes is on page 122 of the D'artiste Matte Painting... you crazy mofo you ;) Haha!

and thanks again for the motivation..

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

Intervain
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
really nice breakdown, would have been cool to see the lava flowing *g*

Excellent work nevertheless :thumbsup:

Dalaran AW
01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Intervain

Thanx for your compliments... and crit and you are right about the lava flowing. I did some testing on that but somehow it isnt that obvious because of the huge scale of the scene. And if I let the lava flow to fast I would have a scale issue... and it would look unrealistic. But still it seems very interessting to try again and play with it some more... maybe I should :)

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

bloggs
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
hay man awsome work, i like the movie really shows a nice simple 3d prosses but looks amazing. the only think that dosnt click for me is the lava river is seams to abrupt in the change from hot to the cooled lava i think it detaracts from the depth abit.

i'd love to see some more of your work

cheers

john

marinobambino
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Good job man! reminds me a bit of that one movie.... what was it.... master of the ring or something like that :P

skycocoon
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
i like it very much:)

skycocoon
01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
That's great job!

Silverwing
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Wow awesome matte-painting!
And cool breakdown! Looks very good.
Keep it up:thumbsup:

@lias
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
great,but the lava at the end needs some motion .

Staszek
01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Real Pro! Greate work - im imprest of your style - 1 man like whole studio - :) you are the man
5stars!

NightCrawler3d
01-11-2006, 01:37 AM
amaizing..
can anyone tell me where can i find somthing that explains how to do the conversion to 3d
is it just camera projection?

Dalaran AW
01-12-2006, 09:07 AM
hi there... thanx for the much replies... :)

bloggs: yeah a breakdown always make a lot of mysteries very clear... I just love them... and for the lava maybe your right... but maybe I should show you some reference I used and maybe show the before plate. Thanx.

marinobambino: hahaha... he dude. Yeah people see a resemblance with LOTR / Mordor. But then again it can also be Mustafar. And it can be an extremly erupt edna ;) Glad you like it and you keep painting your matte... and post it here...! :)

skycocoon: Thanx... glad you like it!

-Framestorm-: Thanx for your comment!

@lias: Hi... I tried to animate the lava before... but somehow it didnt really work for the peace. Makes the scale look a lot smaller and it has to look huge. Thanx

Staszek: Haha your too kind. I am not really a 1 man studio, but I have some real cool collegues who have a lot of knowledge, so I ask them till there getting crazy of me.

NightCrawler3d: Hi... eventually it is indeed just camera projection. But the other thing is that the plate is matte painted. You can try the same technique with a photo you have shot.

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

TE-SUTO
01-13-2006, 05:14 PM
PO PO PO!

as usual... NICE!

seb

exigolight
01-14-2006, 05:36 PM
very nice work. i have so many things to learn from it.

keep it up.

2xbo
01-15-2006, 03:05 PM
WOW.... nice PS paint. Thnx to show also the Technic. 5 *****.

Dalaran AW
01-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi guys

TE-SUTO: Thanx!

Modelviz: Glad you like it!

2xbo: Thanx that you can appreciate the breakdown.. :)

Thanx for all the great replies and tips so far... makes you wanna make even more cool stuff and shots...!

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

peterT
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
this is some awsome work. I;m still impressed everytime I see a piece of art people put so much love and detail in. Incredible. keep up the good work.

Menesis
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello! I really like this animation you made! I didn't even know this technique existed! :blush: But I found it so cool to convert a 2d image to an animation that I tried (http://media.putfile.com/matte2) it for myself with just a photograph. The problem I encounterd is; how do you fill up the little places behind other geometrie from your photo? E.g. the mountains; do you paint for each mountain a little 'extra' texture?
You really inspired me with that animation and photoshop work! :thumbsup:

Kutkin
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes, good job, Dalaran!
amaizing..
can anyone tell me where can i find somthing that explains how to do the conversion to 3d
is it just camera projection?
You can find something interesting here . (http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping/cameramappingtut.htm)
Camera mapping tutorial by Janine Pauke for Cinema 4D.
Cheers

carbon-3
01-29-2006, 07:59 PM
so to get it into 3d, you basically first make the wire, which isnt hard, and then you tweak the painting into textures?

Dalaran AW
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi guys...

peterT: Thanx for kind words.

Menesis: He ik zie dat je ook uit Nederland komt :) Cool! I am glad and flattered that I was able to inspire you. And as I saw your own animation it seems that you handle the technique wel. The trick about these projections is to determine where the holes are going to appear. Liek for example behind a mountain. What you should do is seperate the elements that have paralax in the image. Like Foreground mountains, background mountains, the sky etc. After you painted them loose, you should paint a bit of extra coverage so when the camera looks a bit behind it, it has some texture instead of a hole.

Kutkin: Hi... thanx for your compliments and thanx for sharing the link!

carbon-3: The first thing you do is select your photograph or paint your matte painting (it can also be used on other things then environments like faces, I have seen it work too). Then you seperate your layers in depth (foreground, midground, background, sky), Paint some extra coverage. Then make alpha's for them. Make your simple 3D geometry and place your layers as textures on top of them with "camera projection" tools. Then make you animation... voila!

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.