PDA

View Full Version : Edit Sphere Update Online!

fwtep
01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I have just placed an update to the Edit Sphere online on the Downloads page. In fact, this is so new that you're getting it before the beta team. :) We have more planned for the Edit Sphere and messiah itself, of course, but unlike those other updates, this one can be released on its own, so we figured there was no need to make everyone wait.

The first thing you'll notice is that the inside of the sphere is shaded and the channel rings are two pixels wide instead of one. Both of these options can be controlled from the new Edit Sphere block on the Edit tab's Key/Frame Editing section. It's just a cosmetic change but it's nice.

The bigger change comes when you want to select a channel. Rather than having to click on the channel's letter on the sphere you can just grab the channel ring itself (with a few pixels of leeway). Plus, when you drag the ring, the other channels disappear, so it's less cluttered. (Note: At the moment, if you have a channel selected and you manipulate the sphere without clicking on it, the other channels won't disappear. Try it and you'll see what I mean.)

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this is NOT the final word on changes/updates to the Edit Sphere, we just thought people would at least find this useful so we decided to put it out now.

Unzip the file to your modules/interact folder, but first rename the EditKeyEdit.dll that's there so it doesn't overwrite it; that way you can go back to it if necessary.

Fred

Wegg
01-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Yee Hawww! You guys asked for it so you had better use it and give them some good constructive feedback.

OK!?!?!

I have messed around with it for a bit and. . . yup. . . its different/better from the one they gave the beta team just a few days ago!

Mike RB
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
This is a very welcome change. Thanks for listening pmg!

Mike

Panikos
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Fantastic !
Cant wait for the upcoming update :)

Layer01
01-07-2006, 12:55 AM
*runs around the room naked* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
:bounce::bounce:

ok, i've got clothes on now lol. installed it used it love it. and now for the first feature request, it would be great if we could get selection highlighting on the editsphere, so that we know absolutly what we are about to grab, i love how you cn grab anywhere near the lines to select them, but i think it would be easier to see and be absolutly sure you will select the right thing if they highlighted when the mouse was over/near them ;)

isobarxx
01-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Very nice. Being able to click on the rings to rotate is awesome. Not being able to left-click select other objects underneath the edit sphere's shaded area is annoying.

It seems like at certain view angles clicking to switch axis doesn't always work. Screenshot is attached.

shadowfork
01-07-2006, 05:44 AM
Bravo!

Wayttago pmG!!!

:applause:

Parsec3d
01-07-2006, 06:01 AM
hip hip Hurray!!

WoodyLWG
01-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Great news! I'm very excited about this update, THANK YOU pmG. :D

Wireframes
01-07-2006, 08:50 AM
can't wait for the next upgrade !
Go Pmg Go :thumbsup:

P.S. : Can you add a limited rotate Edit Sphere with a control key ?
(ex : rotate the sphere all 5 or 15 degres when you push CTRL key)

Phil

SpikeWorx
01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Wow. Thatīs cool :thumbsup:

What about a graphical protractor that shows how much rotation is going on (again just as an option) ?

Layer01
01-07-2006, 01:54 PM
P.S. : Can you add a limited rotate Edit Sphere with a control key ?
(ex : rotate the sphere all 5 or 15 degres when you push CTRL key)

that would be cool.

AlexK
01-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I just pass along the requests from our animator, so don't shot the messenger. :D

It would be cool if there was an option to deselect stuff when one clicks anywhere in the viewport. Right now you animate the last selected axis, which can lead to unwanted results. At least make this behaviour optional.

Jedt3D
01-07-2006, 06:43 PM
very impressive!

even IMHO, 1 pixel line is better, but no problem.

Like other said, it'd be 110% perfect if..
-- limit rotation, move by 5 or 10 degree when Ctrl+drag H,P,B / x,y,z .... some kind like that.
-- Dont have a chance to test it yet, but if it's like Layer 01 said. Should it be some way to improve?

I'm very pleased, pmG. Surely everyone here.

my credit card is ready for the next upgrade. ;-)

Wegg
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
You can change the width to 1 pixel . . . or 16 pixels. . .

Just go to Edit, Key/Frame editing and in the "edit sphere" block enter in a number for the "Edit Line Thickness (Pixels)" value.

I went back to 1 as well but 2 as a default seems more "industry standard" looking.

Layer01
01-08-2006, 02:15 AM
I just pass along the requests from our animator, so don't shot the messenger. :D

It would be cool if there was an option to deselect stuff when one clicks anywhere in the viewport. Right now you animate the last selected axis, which can lead to unwanted results. At least make this behaviour optional.

HAHA! i get this all the time, i'm used to clicking in the viewport to deselect objects. it does annoy me sometimes that you can't really deselect an object in messiah, so yeah gets my vote too.

WoodyLWG
01-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Viewport click = Deselect: Hear, hear! :)
modo got me really spoiled on this option, I love it.

Panikos
01-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Actually in messiah you are actually holding something all the time.
This is effective in expressions, effects, properties, surfacing, everything.

AAAron
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Thank you pmG guys!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.