PDA

View Full Version : Countdown for MR...

SRCobb
01-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I tend to look at CGTalk for news about the release of... anything, and I've been finding myself checking in here every half hour or so all this week to see if this RC5 is actually going to make it.
It's still supposed to be this week? Right? The week is getting thin.
Has anyone else been doing this?

Hopefully there will be an announcement as I'm typing.. I wouldn't mind one bit looking like an idiot with this post.

And where's my FinalRender. sorry. I'm a Mac dude..growing impatient.

AdamT
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I think it's quite unlikely we'll see RC5 this week.

Check out these very disturbing posts by Thomas An., one of NL's beta testers and usually one of their staunchest defenders:

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=rhino&item=219316&utag=

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=rhino&item=219232&utag=

SRCobb
01-07-2006, 12:41 AM
hmmm..

Ya know, if I could get my FinalRender, I wouldn't be worried one bit about when or if Maxwell gets released.
CEBAS! Take me away!! (like Calgon....I wonder what % will get that reference)

SRCobb
01-08-2006, 01:59 AM
And so, yet another unfulfilled promise. sad.
Did they say anything? like - "oops, we're not gonna be ready when we said?"

DynaRaton
01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Don't automatically think FR2 is going to fill your cravings. It didn't for me.
One you get spoiled with Maxwells (beta for now) image output....AR 2.5 & Fr2 renders look like childs play.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gifAR 2.5 - I use for anything non-gI related (graphic stuff mostly). Still love that work-horse.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon14.gifFR2 - Not too impressed wtih - GI Smoothing tricks for speed, inferior Pysical Sky (compared to Maxwell's), Wacky "raved" material system that produces "so-so" results , not as "seam-less" integration as Cebas advertises - not worth the $695 beans for me.
Just my opinion.

fluffouille
01-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion but I will say that FR2 is the best solution currently available to us if we want to do any kind of GI animation.
Maxwell render times won't allow it (unless you have a battery of render nodes), and AR has some flicker and memory issues at the moment with GI.
Nevertheless, FR2, AR2.5 and Maxwell all have a different output. It's all about choice, every one of them fills a gap and can be usefull.
I own all of them, and I won't trash any of them as long as they provide me choice. It's like having different pencils.

SRCobb
01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I have all of them, too... which means I have AR2 and MR beta.
My impression of Maxwell beta:
if I don't vare about materials, it's pretty easy to set up a scene. If I walk off for several hours and let it do it's thing, I get a grainy, yet SUPER REALISTIC picture.
It's as if I'm looking at an ACTUAL PHOTO
taken by a small child with a crappy old camera.
I guess that's kind of cool.
I want my Final Render. From what I've heard and seen I will be lovin' it.

lllab
01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
so i have all of them ( and think all 3 are/will be great tools, i am just missing one more thing - vray !

;-)

cheers
stefan

jsls
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
FR-2 is worth every penny, it is super fast and a very capable render engine...I would really like to see a simple output for AIR Render, I know there is a bridge for the Production Bundle, but I think that costs too much. All that would really be needed is a decent RIB Exporter.

lllab
01-10-2006, 08:33 PM
yes FR2 is really worth it!

cheers
stefan

Byla
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Mental Ray?

Or are we still talking about neverending Maxwell story here?

dAfTiE
01-15-2006, 04:21 PM
FR-2 is worth every penny, it is super fast and a very capable render engine...I would really like to see a simple output for AIR Render, I know there is a bridge for the Production Bundle, but I think that costs too much. All that would really be needed is a decent RIB Exporter.
The problem isn't exporting geometry.
It's creating the light shaders and translating the settings in C4D,
and the translation of materials,as setting up lights and materials using notepad and SL is HARD work.
If you have a couple of lighting and shader TD's just hanging around I guess it'd be enough tho.

From what I can tell,FR2 is a good compromise between control and useability.
Hopefully there will be a beta some time so I can have a play,but the little I've seen and read sounds good.

If you want to play around with Air,you might want to try Blender.
No obj import or rib export by default,but there are fairly robust scripts out there to handle it,
and you can use shaderman to create shaders...it's a much more artist friendly way than coding in a text editor.
It's much more work tho,as you have to export your geometry from C4D,import in Blender,export as rib,
create shaders in shaderman,and then edit the exported rib using a text editor (Context is good and free,ultraedit is AWESOME),
compile the shaders,and then render using the commandline.
Not really a streamlined workflow for real work,but it works pretty well for having a play.

SRCobb
01-17-2006, 05:05 AM
I was just looking at the Maxwell forum, and even though I signed up as a VIP, I could not reply.. I saw someone on their tem talking about how they will now have a problem going forth with the OSX version because of the Intel processors and rosetta, etc. - ie, whether or not too go ahead with OSX or take more time for rosetta.

I am not planning on having an intel processor in my Mac any time soon, and if they do not release an OSX version because they are working on getting it compatible with the intel stuff, I , for one, am going to be extremely pissed, as if we don't have reason enough already.

Ernest Burden
01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
if they do not release an OSX version because they are working on getting it compatible with the intel stuff, I , for one, am going to be extremely pissed

Who isn't? But I didn't read anything there that suggested there was any truth to the notion that NL was going to hold off on the OSX version until MACtel. So far nobody has one, and even when it's out there will be millions of people still using MACorolas. I would say 'don't you worry' but then this is NextLimit.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.