PDA

View Full Version : ....> Opteron 280 system restart/crashing when I....

nitindesign
01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
...ok first I am running a brand spanking new 2xDual Core Opteron 280 system, 4GB RAM. WINXP64. Currently the vendor has temporarily put a GeForce 6600 card (will be replaced with a GeForce 7800/512Mb in a week or so when it becomes available in this country).

I uninstalled the latest GeForce 88.xx drivers and installed driver version 77.77 as the Maya (3d software) interface was getting messed up...things are relatively better since installing 77.77 drivers.

Anyway I am ABSOLUTELY impressed by the machine and the render times BUT I am having a small problem. I am rendering some images for print at 5500 x 5500 pixel to crop later. The render goes like a dream and I can easily save the rendered image...BUT then if I move the finished rendered image which is in the Maya "Render window"....zoom in zoom out...etc etc...the PC either a) freezes (no control/alt/delete possible) OR b) restarts.

Any idea on what could be causing this? The cooling is rock solid as it never crashes under full load. Could the GeForce drivers be causing this? What is it about moving the huge rendered image in Maya "render view" window that is causing the system to restart /crash?

Btw I can open the rendered image in PS without any problem and play as much as I want.
Any advice? Thanks

lots
01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not a Maya user, but sounds like its possible for the video card drivers to be causing this sort of behavior. Maybe someone more in tune with Maya can answer ...

nitindesign
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok I changed the settings so that the system would not restart and instead give me blue screen error. It's definitely to do with the Nvidia card driver as the error is

"nv4_disp.dll"

I have tried 85.9, 77.7, 78.01 drivers for the 6600 card but they either give really crap performance ie. white patches or crash if Imove the Maya windows around too much.

Well when the guy comes to exchange the card to 7800GTX I willl make sure that the corrupted drivers get taken out 1st.

Anyone know how to get rid of corrupted Nvidia drivers and fix this
"nv4_disp.dll" problem?

E55
01-09-2006, 06:45 AM
hi nitin, nice system youv got there. im planning to buy the same configs. tell me yours is a dual dual core ? if so i have a max file and i would be happy if you could render it to check the speed (i hope your using max) one more thing how much your system costs?

thanks in advance

nitindesign
01-09-2006, 08:22 AM
hi nitin, nice system youv got there. im planning to buy the same configs. tell me yours is a dual dual core ? if so i have a max file and i would be happy if you could render it to check the speed (i hope your using max) one more thing how much your system costs?

thanks in advance

Sorry mate I don't touch nor have Max...Maya man here although be absolutely safe in the knowledge that it's VERY FAST! Regarding cost--> It cost a LOT...an arm and 2 legs :-) Go somewhere like BOXX technologies website configure your system with the parts you want and that will give you a good idea.

SUN
01-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello
In the same resolution sometimes my maya refuses to save the pic in tiff format ant i can't render again (if i render maya gives me only one black screen).
Except that problem my maya works nicely after that (i don't have restart or blue screen.)
Ps: i can't save in tiff but i can in iff.
Question: is 5500x5500 the highest rendering resolution for your pc?can u make bigger renderigs?
[i have GeForce 7800 GT]

nitindesign
01-09-2006, 01:31 PM
The problem is the temporary card or corrupted Nvidia drivers. So I don' think anymore that size of the image is the reason. I can save ina ll formats. I think it will render larger than that easily. Well the real card that I ordered should be here in next 2 days so the guy can solve this problem if it does not get fixed by the new card. On some other forums I read that the 6600 had bit of a bad reputation!

lots
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Maybe you can ask around the maya forums to see if anyone has a similar problem, and maybe someone with knowledge about a good driver to use will have some info..

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.