PDA

View Full Version : Silly Little Cat

rvallet
01-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Here is the animation short I have been working on while at VFS:

http://www.rolandvallet.com/SLC.jpg

A 24Mb 640*480 version of my reel can be downloaded from:
http://www.rolandvallet.com/rolandvallet_animationreel_2005_640480.mov (http://www.rolandvallet.com/rolandvallet_animationreel_2005_640480.mov)
(Right click and Save Target As...)

Here is the breakdown of my animation process for one of the shots:
http://www.rolandvallet.com/rolandvallet_animationprocess_2005.mov
(Right click and Save Target As...)

I hope you will enjoy :)

Intervain
01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I did enjoy! Great to see you've posted.

The kitty has always been my favourite :love: and it certainly has come a loooong way since I last saw it!

Good luck getting a job you dream of :thumbsup:

freakmoomin
01-07-2006, 06:06 PM
hey i like it!

The only thing i would say would be to vary the poses a little when he is getting startled and jumping back.....

and im not sure about the hold pose thing on the jump when he throws the keys down it seems a little weird and although i know its cartoony pose to pose stuff it just doesnt really work for me.

nice animation tho and im a little surprised its not had more responses.

reeds
01-08-2006, 08:13 PM
great animation. some of the hold pose in the air moments feel a little too long, but the whole animation is very enjoyable. I've watched it several times and it still captivates me. good job.

shraga
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey Roland!! -

I just received the reels in the mail and I watched it with a whole bunch of people - lots of laughter :) the animation is so nice and bouncy - you can really sense all the time you spent perfecting that cartoony feel. On second viewing I think the timing when he goes bazerk on the cars is perfect!! funny stuff!!

hope I get to see you soon buddy.. (I'm coming down next week).

Shraga

NickWhitmire
01-08-2006, 10:05 PM
That was awesome. Really really good job. The arcs were great. Timing I thought was excellent as well. Don't really have any negative critiques.

-Nick Whitmire

andrebranco
01-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Roland!

Congratulations, it looks so much better, considering the time you had to tweak it.

Great work.

Good luck, mon amie.

André

ragdoll
01-09-2006, 01:39 AM
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey that's really cooooooooool!!! :scream: :thumbsup:

agasco
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
hey roland!
Nice work man! i like the updates in textures and lights, great animation and i also like the render.

Good luck with everithing, and if you ever come back to france, take a little trip to barcelona!

LAter man

Alvaro.

feebsicle
01-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Roland!

I am soooooo glad you posted finally :)

you already know what I think of this sweet animation of yours! So I'll just say here that it was a blast working with you. You're an amazing person!
So lets always keep in touch and send updates! I'm really looking forward to seeing where you go with this silly little cat :)

luff feebs

lostPin
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
There's sort of an unwritten rule for the animations and people that come out of VFS: they must rock!!:) Nice animation man, I like the expressive gestures of the cat.

picsawy
01-09-2006, 11:45 PM
There's sort of an unwritten rule for the animations and people that come out of VFS: they must rock!!:) Nice animation man, I like the expressive gestures of the cat.tammmmmmmmmmmmmam

Sherif.Nagib
01-10-2006, 02:34 AM
It's the first time I see the updated version, man I can see a good advance there.

luv what u do with the tail, gr8 job mon ami :thumbsup:

shupersonic
01-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Hey hey roland!!

Great to see your stuff up here on CGtalk. It was really really cool to sit next to you in term 1 and in term 6. You really taught me a lot there at the end. It was an education just sitting and watching you work.

Watching your stuff gives me tons of ideas and makes me excited to get back into the f-curves. Can't think of a better compliment than that.

Take it easy man and be sure to put in the good word for me at whichever studio you end up working for

BeN

rvallet
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Intervain - I like the way you call him the "kitty". Silly Little Kitty...

freakmoomin - some of the poses I use do look alike; now that you mention it I do notice. I also agree that the hold in the air when throwing the keys isn't there yet. My main reference for that part was Ice Age, when Sid throws the fruit on the ground. I think the hold needs to move more... it is a bit stiff.

Reeds - when you talk about the hold in the air, are you talking about when he is jumping on the car, or when he is throwing the keys? Thanks for your post.

Shraga - thanks and good luck in California :)

mayazeus - thanks for commenting the arcs. I spent so much time on these arcs. If arcs look good, people usually don't notice it. Usually people notice problems with arcs.

Andre - mon ami, merci beaucoup

Ragdoll - thanks

Alvaro - See you in Catalonia :)

Feebs - I will definitely keep in touch. I will keep sending you all these weird newspaper articles I have been finding on the web :)

Chikos - thanks for the compliment.

MoOn LiGhT - thanks for posting.

Sherif - J'attends avec impatience de voir ton travail :)

Shupersonic - I am glad I am making you like f-curves. Sitting next to you made me want to open photoshop and start designing new characters.

M_Fonseca
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
:bounce: Hey'.....
I love your reel man!!.. i've told u a million times how much i envy it.. haha, .. The way you approached this was very witty, and im sure u won't have problems finding a job. I love the cartoony style of animation you chose to do it in, and as much as u tweak and stare at it, im sure it can't get any better.. it's practially perfect to me.. :thumbsup:
ROLANDO IS AWESOME!!

Aaron Peck
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey~ dude! finally I can see ur demo reel man! I've been waiting for ur reel for a long time! because I'm a huge fan of yours! so did you get some good news? I'm sure you can get a job soon. Keep in touch bros~ Take care yourself~

Cheers
-Aaron-

Bryn
01-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey man, I realy enjoyed the animation, and even though I have seen it through all the stages of developement, I never get tired of it.
He is a silly cat, and he seems a little French too, but I guess thats youre influence. Dude good luck in finding a job, your almost there.Gotta always stay in touch bro.
B

to-hell-u-ride
01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi ROLAND! It's so good to see your work up. Your talent is amazing and I hope that you go far with it. I'm so glad I got to know you...such a beautiful soal. Your reel turned out to be so awsome....all the hard work paid off. And I love how the ending turned out. I was watching it with several people and we all started laughing. Good job, Roland. I hope we meet again.

Cinimod
01-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey RO!

How's everything going man! Hehe, although I've seen ur reel so many times in the treefort, I still don't get tired of it! My favorite piece of animation would probally be the part when the cat is startled by the car :)

G'luck in the future, but I'm sure u'll rock where ever u go :D

Keep in touch yo!

Dom

Domo_Digital
01-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Bonjour Roland,

Your right he really was just a silly little cat....although kept his composure till the end :P

I really like your reel, its simple and I love the fact that originally you were going to keep default lighting, so it didnt take away from time to animate, that seems so rare in Animators.

You've been a great animator from the get go when you getting all the 9's in Classical!

The design of your cat is great, all the web cam reference you used shows in your smooth animation and great poses.

Best of Luck in the future.

Adam

Escopos
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Haha Roland! Great. Congradulations on the completion of your reel... bright professional future ahead. :buttrock:

rvallet
01-24-2006, 12:50 AM
All, thanks for all your comments

M_Fonseca - Yo Matt, I hope you are doing well... Miss all your weird jokes and faces. Thanks for thinking it's perfect... I keep seeing all the problems and all the things I still want to fix.

Aaron Peck - Thanks for posting :) How is the East coast? Thanks for always encouraging me. Thanks for being a fan. Hopefully I can make a Silly Little Cat II one of these days. I already have a few ideas. But I need a new design. I feel like changing the cat quite a bit.

Bryn - Hey bro :) Yeah... the silly little cat was created from my absolute frustration with cars, and he also has my moves... so I guess that definitely makes him very French

to-hell-u-ride - Thanks for all the compliments... It is good to know that the silly cat is making you laugh. I was able to get rid of a lot of frustration and anger by giving them away to the cat. Now if the cat can use these to make people laugh, it is a good trade off. I hope you are having fun in LA... You are in LA right?

Cinimod - Dom, I am Glad you are not fed up with the mewing of the cat... you put up with it for quite a while :) Thanks for helping me out so much in term 7 (I cannot remember of a time when I had a question and you didn't have a great answer). I hope everything is going well for you back East.

Domo_Digital - Adam, thanks... Animation was definitely the focus :) I threw in a dirt map at the end to make it look a little prettier. I think if I had to do it again, I would maybe keep it even more simple... Maybe keep the set to just the car, the curb and the gate... It would make it more theatrical and absurd and funny, and it would give me even more time to animate... And I do miss the classical animation classes :)

Floyd - I hope you are right... How is life in the South?

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 12:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.