PDA

View Full Version : After Effects here i come...

stavrevstefan
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I am newbie so here it goes:

After i set keyframe for the Vegas effect Rotation attribute and then hit PLAY the arrow in the timeline is moving so slow(probably rendering or whatever).The bad thing is it does this not once but every time and i can't preview what have i done.If it is any help for you to help me in the time controls BAR says "Not real time"...I tryed with all (24,25,30,alllllllllll) but it says the same...Please help...

maximee
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey Stefan -

have you tried hitting the zero on the numpad?

That gives you a RAM preview render. That's different than just hitting PLAY/the space bar.
The RAM preview should give you realtime playback.
You can adjust the preview in/out point by moving the grey little sliders right above your timeline. The maximum length that can be rendered into your RAM varies depending on how much RAM you have.

You might want to check out the AfterEffects helpfile. It will tell you more about the RAM preview. AfterEffects also has OpenGL support, that makes previews a lot faster when working on 3D layers (assuming your graphiccard is supported).

Hope that helped.
Flo

alona
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Read about Ram Preview in the manual (0 on the numeric keypad).

AA

stavrevstefan
01-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey Flo thanks a lot man...Thing start to come at it's place...

maximee
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
glad it helped! :)

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Another problem

I made some animation in maya 10 secs.Then i added lens flare in AFTER EFFECSTS and rendered with after effects.My final MOV file is 172 MB and only 14 secs long.

Am i exporting in the wrong format or i should compress the file?

How to compress the file then?

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Litle help guys.Read the message above...

maximee
01-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, it really depends what codec/setting you are using.

What are you producing for?
You most always wanna go uncompressed when exporting from one application to another application. For your final render, it really depends whether you want a small clip for streaming on the web or an MPEG2 file for DVD production.

As you may know, .MOV files are only "containers" (as well as AVI files). It says nothing about the codec being used. You can simply go CTRL+M in AE and then choose "Quicktime" as your format. Then go "format options" in the video-output section.
There you can set up your Quicktime file.

For small filesizes and acceptable quality for webstreaming choose the "Sorenson 3" or Mpeg4 codec.
You can also try lowering the resolution and framerate.

Good luck!

Mylenium: Wieder zu kompliziert? ;)

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I want best quality and acceptable size...Which codec or settings to use?

dbates
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
What are the pixel dimensions of the animation?

Correct compression settings are largely subjective. It all depends on what you consider acceptable quality. For example, if your animation has a lot of smooth gradients, than compression will result in some ugly banding. I often use the mpeg4 codec, or sorensen3; also, I try to keep my animations at or about 640x480.

--dbates

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 06:54 PM
The composition is 768 x 576.You recomend me to make it 640 x 480?

And from all the codecs,Sorenson 3 rules.It's super for my need.I apreciate this so much man...

dbates
01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
You don't have to make it 640x480. What I meant was, if you don't have a specific output resolution (NTSC, PAL, etc) then don't do everything at 1280x960 or something huge like that. 640x480 is a decent preview size. Your current resolution should do fine. . . ;)

What's your file size with Sorensen 3?

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 07:39 PM
14 secs and 27MB...Damn i forgot about the size.So what now?

stavrevstefan
01-14-2006, 07:49 PM
By the way Should i render in fields? It is for TV by the way ( this video)...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.