PDA

View Full Version : GAMASUTRA: The Art of the Game Logo

RobertoOrtiz
01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Quote:
"Though you've seen them on the shelf, bought them, and played them, many Gamasutra readers may not be aware that some of the most well-known video game logos and retail packaging designs in today's video game industry, from Doom 3 through Call Of Duty 2 to World Of Warcraft, were created by the same company, design firm Hamagami/Carroll.

Having discovered this, Gamasutra chatted with Hamagami/Carroll principal and co-founder Justin Carroll, delving into the origins of his company's work in the video game business, its relationship with major players such as Blizzard and Id, the process of what it calls “visual mechanics,” specifically discussing some of its most recent designs."

>>LINK<< (http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060104/hong_01.shtml)

-R

SpiralFace
01-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Interesting read.

Never knew that the logo's where all designed from the same company. But now looking back I can see the artistic similarities in the logo designs. (These guys just love to use bold letters as opposed to thin letters like the logo's for the Final Fantasy games.)

Schwinnz
01-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Well, ShadowSlayer, [graphic] designers are very often required to be proficient in a variety of style. It explains simply that they must adjust the style to the different problematics. Using any kind of face is not a matter of taste but undergoes lots of thinking.

SpiralFace
01-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, ShadowSlayer, [graphic] designers are very often required to be proficient in a variety of style. It explains simply that they must adjust the style to the different problematics. Using any kind of face is not a matter of taste but undergoes lots of thinking.

Understandable. But I just simply tend to notice a gravitation twards the bold letters in their logo designs. Not as if its a bad thing as all the logos do a very good job of branding the products, I am simply stateing that it is an artisic choice they tend to go with alot.

spmonahan
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM

That's very true, but I also now that I have a few type faces that I tend to favor over others simply because I enjoy the style.

Overall I thought it was an interesting read. Their work stands in stark contrast to mine (they: more visual, me: more typographic in my design) so it was nice to read about how other people think/approach a design problem.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.