PDA

View Full Version : Skills shortage hits growth of animation industry (INDIA)

RobertoOrtiz
01-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Quote:
"“Almost 95 per cent of the animation done in India is outsourced work. Most of the Indian animation companies that do animation work for studios abroad often do only low-quality, high volume work,” said Manu Ittina, director, Ittina Studios, an animation studio that was launched recently. Ittina has worked on movies like Shrek 2 and Madagascar. "

For instance, while modelling may be done at one place, the animation may be done at another and lightning in yet another. The $50 billion global animation industry holds much prospects for India as testified by Nasscom. But, the lack of artists with the right orientation is a stumbling block. “An artist can learn a software without much difficulty. But, getting a wannabe animator to learn an art is no easy job.” says Ittina, who is seconded by Miller. Using artists trained in traditional art forms is one aim of Ittina and Miller.

>>LINK<< (http://www.business-standard.com/iceworld/storypage.php?chklogin=&autono=210615&leftnm=lmnu9&leftindx=9&lselect=1)

-R

vfx
01-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Could this actually be more 'wage' orientated than anything else??

rcronin
01-06-2006, 09:27 PM
wow I wanna work at the company that does the "lightning".

sdserbos
01-07-2006, 01:52 AM
wow I wanna work at the company that does the "lightning".

hihiihiihiihiihi. Too funny.

sciics
01-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Well, just to be the target around here, i actully work for a company that does "outsource" in India, But Life's pretty good actully around here,

P.S. "Jobs Avaliable" :D

outoftheboxirritation
01-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, just to be the target around here, i actully work for a company that does "outsource" in India, But Life's pretty good actully around here,

P.S. "Jobs Avaliable" :D

dont bluff... I was working there for few years... i had no idea like my colleagues what life is all about when i was working with an indian company... since you have not much of idea what sort of life others enjoy outside India, its ok to comment that way... India still gotta learn what is quality, career and personal life...

Canadianboy
01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
that was pretty insulting :surprised telling someone here country is lesser then another

rakmaya
01-22-2006, 01:58 AM
dont bluff... I was working there for few years... i had no idea like my colleagues what life is all about when i was working with an indian company... since you have not much of idea what sort of life others enjoy outside India, its ok to comment that way... India still gotta learn what is quality, career and personal life...

You probably got the job at the garbage disposal. Ya, I heard it is bad there, becuase people don't recycle anything there :rolleyes:

I worked in EA as a programmer for a while, I can't say I had much of any life either. It depends on the company and not the country.

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2006, 02:02 AM
People keep it pro...

-R

Beamtracer
01-22-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm always supportive of animation jobs moving to India. It's just a sign of a maturing industry. Nothing anyone should feel threatened by.

The animation industry has always outsourced work to countries where that work costs less. It's nothing new. Cell frames used to get painted in The Philippines.

The city of Bangalore in India is an exciting and thriving place full of people with great skill in animation and IT.

jubba
01-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Could this actually be more 'wage' orientated than anything else??

In the global economy everything is "wage related". CG animation and VFX work came to the UK in the late 90s for economic reasons and because there was enough of an industry base to support it. Hopefully the work will stay because we've become quite good at what we do over the last few years. The same thing is now happening in India: there is a large educated and enthusiastic workforce that is relatively cheap compared to other places that might be able to do the jobs. The movie studios and financiers behind film and TV work don't care where it gets done - just so long as it meets the standard and comes in on time and on budget.

Eventually demand will outstrip supply in India, wages will rise and their industry will become less competative. At that point expect to see Indian animation studios opening facilities in London and California!

j

pixelmonk
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm always supportive of animation jobs moving to India. It's just a sign of a maturing industry. Nothing anyone should feel threatened by.

The animation industry has always outsourced work to countries where that work costs less. It's nothing new. Cell frames used to get painted in The Philippines.

The city of Bangalore in India is an exciting and thriving place full of people with great skill in animation and IT.

not really a maturing of the industry but more of a "where can I get cheap semi-skilled labor"? I'm ok with is as you typically get what you pay for. Hopefully the studios there are investing in their people instead of lining their pockets while their people get no training and work horrible hours. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

coldfuse[ofX]
01-23-2006, 05:31 PM
not really a maturing of the industry but more of a "where can I get cheap semi-skilled labor"? I'm ok with is as you typically get what you pay for. Hopefully the studios there are investing in their people instead of lining their pockets while their people get no training and work horrible hours. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

we can hope but alas i dont think it will happen like that. CG is a market like anything else. Not to say that just because the work is done in india that it will be no good. Where ever it is cheaper i am sure many will take that route, where ever it may be.

I know some people might see india as a less quality, what about china, or korea, alot of stuff comes from them, but still got good quality. anyway, without making this too, prejudiced
because i feel like for some reason it could be taken that way...THERES NOTHING wrong with it.

why has my text changed colour to me... hmm

E_echs
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
outsourcing is notihng new to animation... even 3d. i remember many manga studios in Japan back in the 97s -98s used wannabe anime animators fresh out of school that would work long and odd hours in a small confined studio with each others drawing desk touching and not complaining cause they were under the supervision of a great anime master. quiete cant recall the name but i was impressed by the number of kids that wanted to do manga anime... also India is not the only place that does 3d outsourcing. check this link out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4513744.stm

Thanks
Eechs

SimonPickard
01-23-2006, 10:01 PM
"I'm always supportive of animation jobs moving to India. It's just a sign of a maturing industry. Nothing anyone should feel threatened by."

Unless you're an animator who doesn't happen to live in India that is..

Regards,
Simon

outoftheboxirritation
01-24-2006, 03:00 AM
'] prejudiced
because i feel like for some reason it could be taken that way...THERES NOTHING wrong with it.

why has my text changed colour to me... hmm

i guess u pasted a word or two from some other place.. :)

gauravnawani
01-24-2006, 04:39 AM
not really a maturing of the industry but more of a &quot;where can I get cheap semi-skilled labor&quot;? I'm ok with is as you typically get what you pay for. Hopefully the studios there are investing in their people instead of lining their pockets while their people get no training and work horrible hours. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

Semi-skilled!! you must be kidding, you are imlyng that the ones who outsource animation work _want_ cheap stuff!! R&H opens its office in India because they are here for cheap stuff!!

Will AMD invest in a chip design and developent because _it_wants_ to make 'cheap' chips. Certainly you wont be accusing them of giving cheap!! stuff to you, as some one here so irresponsibly emphasised about 'quality of life'.

Animation industry is just like any other industry. Companies want to reduced labours costs so that they can remain competetive. Further they also want to acquire and take a lead in the fast developing market, which just by the size of it will easily outstrip deveoped economies when in full bloom.

People here will _have_ to work for lowerwages and for 'horrible hours' until the industry developes further, economy grows or they accquire 'quality of life' how do you assume that development in your land happened in 1950-60's??

Its unfortunate that people forget the ground realities before commenting. You are fortunate to be in a land which have acquired much, we as the resources bound us have to grow and learn simultaneously, whether that means developing or acquring skills.

RayenD
01-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, to not to go into details - in the last year, I've noticed very light trend to move out of India with outsourcing 3D work.

The main reason suggested were "low quality of results, on the edge of unacceptable", "hard to communicate with (language and distance)" and "cultural diffreneces when it comes to perception of art"

That came from various representatives of companies who are interested in outsourcing some of their 3D work

This is of course generalization and I am sure there are great artists working in India. I believe the main reason is low artist's salaries and under-developed work ethics at management level (if that means anything ;))

I also noticed a trend for trying out companies in Eastern/Middle Europe - costs are higher but the problems mentioned above seems to be much easier to overcome.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.