PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Offer HD-DVD Drive for the Xbox 360

RobertoOrtiz
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Quote:
" Microsoft said at CES that it plans to offer an add-on drive for its Xbox 360 (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/pcworld/tc_pcworld/storytext/124229/17604581/SIG=11p1om82h/*http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122560,00.asp) gaming console that employs the HD-DVD optical drive format."

Microsoft to Offer HD-DVD Drive for the Xbox 360 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060105/tc_pcworld/124229;_ylt=AjcAo.N6mzMEsQCVOJBRjIKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

gavin_hughes
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
i thought it was shipped with an hd drive:shrug:

ThomasMahler
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Can you say "64 dd"?

chrisWhite
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Yep, I'll be getting on of those when I get a 360, looking forward to playing and having the HD-DVD drive.

Shade01
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Pooh! I don't care about being able to only watch HD-DVD movies on it- I might as well go buy any player since it's external anyway.

enygma
01-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I think it was a bit of a flaw in Microsoft's logic when they decided not to include HD-DVD capabilities in their XBox 360, but I think that more has to do with Microsoft being a little to over-zealous by trying to release the system as early as they did. Just a bad idea all around, especially since the final format hasn't been nailed yet. The PS3, which may arguably will be more popular than the 360 when released, will include Blu-ray support (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html) at no extra cost, which is clearly the better (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/2) and most supported format (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/4).

Jackdeth
01-07-2006, 01:04 AM
How lame. Not to mention expensive for people who will now have 2 DVD players with thier X-box. Who wants some add-on device hanging off to the side.

One word... CLUNKY.

alivegy
01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
I hate that sony is marketing their first blue ray drives to the AV elite. Have they not learned anything. I think some of their stupid marketing descions may very well kill of the better of the two formats. Making HDDVD cheaper and mroe readly available to the masses was a much wiser descion.

PhilOsirus
01-07-2006, 03:02 AM
I hate that sony is marketing their first blue ray drives to the AV elite. Have they not learned anything. I think some of their stupid marketing descions may very well kill of the better of the two formats. Making HDDVD cheaper and mroe readly available to the masses was a much wiser descion.

Might as well stick to DVDs and never move on to a new format if it's all about cheap and early. If the whole entertainment industry needs a new format, might as well go for the one with the most capacity. Once those manufactures start producing them en-masse the prices will come down, as always.

DevilHacker
01-07-2006, 03:26 AM
LOL, My predictions for 2006 are coming true…
Wahahahaha!...

Be warned guys… they are coming out with another HD-DVD attachment that will be able to burn to HD-DVD, along with another version of the 360 that will have Tivo-like functions out of the box…
:thumbsup:

nvvm
01-07-2006, 07:23 AM
I think it was a bit of a flaw in Microsoft's logic when they decided not to include HD-DVD capabilities in their XBox 360, but I think that more has to do with Microsoft being a little to over-zealous by trying to release the system as early as they did. Just a bad idea all around, especially since the final format hasn't been nailed yet. The PS3, which may arguably will be more popular than the 360 when released, will include Blu-ray support (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html) at no extra cost, which is clearly the better (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/2) and most supported format (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/4).

I disagree, they wanted to keep cost down on the xbox. And even thought hd-dvd is the offical format, we still have a format war. HD video playback is a gimmick in consoles anyway, standalones are better.

noisewar
01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
If they are looking to reprise on Sony's DVD victory with the PS2, they'll be as silly as Sony lookin' to leverage Blu-Ray. All but the highest-end customers have just built libraries around DVD and DVD burners. The step up from video to DVD dwarfs the step from DVD to et al. regardless of the technical specs. Too little, too soon.

Icarus
01-07-2006, 01:55 PM
why not just include it with the 360 when it ships and charge anohter $100? people would snap it up :/

mummey
01-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Raise your hand if you:

a) own an HD compliant display (not just digital or hi-res)
b) own HD-DVD discs

ok, now let's start over.

Raise your hand if you plan to convert the MAJORITY of your DVD's to HD-DVD in the next five years (aka the probable life of the Xbox 360).

...funny, I didn't see that many raising their hands. ;)

MS knows what they are doing. Sony just announced they are delaying until the fall. This is not a situation of MS doing everything and Sony doing everything right. Hell, did you SEE the controller they proposed for the PS3!?!

chrisWhite
01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
*Raises Hand*

Not to part one, but I will convert most of my DVD library to one of the format as I've intentionally kept it fairly small knowing the formats would get better. The only big things I'm going to want to buy again are my LOTR Extended, otherwise I've just rented the movies that I'm really looking forward to seeing on the new disks (Batman Begins, Star Wars, X-Men, etc.). I'm not sure when I'll have a TV ready for it, but I'd rather invest in a better format for the long term.

PhilOsirus
01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Raise your hand if you:

a) own an HD compliant display (not just digital or hi-res)
b) own HD-DVD discs

ok, now let's start over.

Raise your hand if you plan to convert the MAJORITY of your DVD's to HD-DVD in the next five years (aka the probable life of the Xbox 360).

...funny, I didn't see that many raising their hands. ;)

MS knows what they are doing. Sony just announced they are delaying until the fall. This is not a situation of MS doing everything and Sony doing everything right. Hell, did you SEE the controller they proposed for the PS3!?!

Why would you convert your whole library of DVDs to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? The PS3 for example can read CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray, and I'm sure most HD-DVD players out there can or will do the same. So instead of buying a new DVD player people will now buy a new HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

enygma
01-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Just think, using better compression algorithms, you could compress your current DVD library onto Blu-Ray disks and fire up multiple movies onto a single disk.
they wanted to keep cost down on the xbox
Yes they do want to keep costs down. But this is more of a business decision than a consumer decision. If they made the DVD Rom in the 360 support the ability to read HD-DVDs, it may have cost Microsoft a bit extra, but they most likely would have kept the consumer price the same. In this case, releasing the extension after the fact, makes good business sense, but makes little sense for the consumer, since as was mentioned earlier... they might as well just get a set top player anyways.

Spriggan12
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM
@ enigma

The Blue-Ray format that Sony's is pushing has not been widely accepted and even know is being viewed as suspect.

So much is up in the air right now, its still inconclusive which will step out as being the most used. In the end, we're going to have a wide variety of formats to choose form.

in essence "chose your poison wisely.

enygma
01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
@ enigma

The Blue-Ray format that Sony's is pushing has not been widely accepted and even know is being viewed as suspect.

So much is up in the air right now, its still inconclusive which will step out as being the most used. In the end, we're going to have a wide variety of formats to choose form.

in essence "chose your poison wisely.
If you note a link I posted in my first post in this thread, Blu-Ray IS more supported by studios, publishers, and disk producers than HD-DVD. The BDA (Blu-Ray Disk Association) has over 100 members backing it (corporate members), as opposed to the 63 corporate member supporting HD-DVD. Worth noting that there are some corporate member supporting both formats.

Yes, at this point it is inconclusive as to which format will be the leader, but looking strictly at numbers, such as capacity, performance and corporate support, BD has the advantage.

jcorpe
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I somewhat suspect, and could be way off on this, that you will be able to play HD games on that extended drive and perhaps MS doesn't want to tip its hand to Sony. Even though MS currently says that the drive would only be for playing back video and not games, this could certainly change couldn't it? Is there any reason why an exterior HD-DVD box couldn't play games and load games faster? Didn't the PS2 have some kind of exterior drive that people put Final Fantasy on?

tozz
01-08-2006, 12:24 AM
http://ces.betanews.com/entry/Bluray_What_Format_War/1136581584

"The Blu-ray Disc Association currently includes seven of the eight major movie studios, two large music labels representing as much as half of the music market, and has added five companies since July of last year."... so much for "no support".

"Additionally, Parsons commented on Microsoft's support of HD DVD. He said the announcement is merely to confuse the press, as movie playback is all done within the software, and software packages can include Blu-ray support just as easily as HD DVD. OEMs decide what goes on the computer, not Microsoft, he added."

That part is especially important, alot of people seems to be confused about it (seen it many times here on cgtalk)

PhilOsirus
01-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Is there any reason why an exterior HD-DVD box couldn't play games and load games faster?

It is unlikely to happen because games would have to be produced in both formats.

enygma
01-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Didn't the PS2 have some kind of exterior drive that people put Final Fantasy on?
It was an interior hard drive. In Japan it was exterior, but in the first generation of PS2s, there is an expansion slot in it that allowed you to install a hard drive and a network controller.

There were 2 options with the PS2 that I made use of.

1) Sony had made the PS2 Linux kit available which included a network adapter, 40GB hard drive, mouse and keyboard, VGA adapter (which would only work with monitors that supported sync-on-green) and a Red Hat 6.2 based distribution of Linux that will run on a MIPS architecture.

2) Purchasing the Final Fantasy XI hard drive kit allowed you to install a hard drive (can't remember if it was 20GB or 40GB) that came preloaded with Final Fantasy XI.

jcorpe
01-08-2006, 06:25 AM
[QUOTE="Additionally, Parsons commented on Microsoft's support of HD DVD. He said the announcement is merely to confuse the press, as movie playback is all done within the software, and software packages can include Blu-ray support just as easily as HD DVD. OEMs decide what goes on the computer, not Microsoft, he added."

That part is especially important, alot of people seems to be confused about it (seen it many times here on cgtalk)[/QUOTE]

Do both formats depend on the player or console having a blue laser? It was my understanding that the Blu-ray disc would be read by a special blue laser that could read more detail in the disc. I guess I never read enough about HD-DVD to know if it relies on the same blue laser technology. If it didn't rely on the same type of laser, than it's not likely it would just be a software tweak issue.

tozz
01-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Do both formats depend on the player or console having a blue laser? It was my understanding that the Blu-ray disc would be read by a special blue laser that could read more detail in the disc. I guess I never read enough about HD-DVD to know if it relies on the same blue laser technology. If it didn't rely on the same type of laser, than it's not likely it would just be a software tweak issue.
He's referring to the playback possibilites. People seem to think that just because Microsoft supports HD-DVD, there won't be any software to play Blu-Ray movies on their PC's. Both formats uses similar formats on the disc (same format in some cases) so it's just a matter of getting a drive and a player. There's no need for some special support, it's just like installing a dvd-drive and a software player today.

01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I probably won't get it for my 360. MS should have delayed the console, so they can put the HD-DVD drive in there at a reasonable cost.

As for the format war... Blu-Ray will win. Forget the specs, the name sounds cooler and from a marketing stand point it sounds new. HD-DVD... how boring. They both use blue laser and "HD-DVD" makes it sound like some minor upgrade from the old school DVD.

thatoneguy
01-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Consumers have no idea what "Blu-Ray" means. DVD they understand HD they are sort of coming to comprehend. HD-DVD is by far the superior marketing term to appeal to the masses.

I'm holding out for special features. If Blu-Ray locks down their content with draconian DRM (which it looks like they're going to do) but HD-DVD is a bit more liberal, It'll be an easy decision. Also, HD-DVD has been showing off some pretty schnazzy interfaces/features. There's no chance in hell I'm paying 1500 dollars for a Blury drive.

heavyness
01-09-2006, 02:01 AM
i personally don't care about the next gen disc format... i think the general public is still very happy with their DVD movies and will be questioning themselves to bring in another format in to their family room. as for games, i don't see how a game being split into multiple discs can be so bad? most [if not all] Final Fantasies and Resident Evil 4 [to name just 2] come on more then 1 disc and are best selling.

i recently bought a new HDTV and i feel for everyone. LCD, DLP, LCOS, Plasma, RCA, Composite, Component, 16x9, 4x3, IEEE 1394, VGA, S-Video....

...it really got to me in the end. and depending who you talk to, HD-DVD is better, Blu-Ray is better, Plasma is better, LCD rocks, DLP is the way to go. this is great for the high end, money is no problem, home theater in my basement people, but thats not the majority. i remember all the people who swore by their Laserdiscs and would never buy VHS.

this constant upgrading/format business model is just draining our wallets faster and giving us all headaches.

Dirtystimpy
01-09-2006, 06:05 AM
...it really got to me in the end. and depending who you talk to, HD-DVD is better, Blu-Ray is better, Plasma is better, LCD rocks, DLP is the way to go.

lol, whenever I go to a store that sells tvs (best buy, CCity) I walk out of there more pissed off then anything, because everytime I walk out, my mind changes on what type of tv to buy, plasma, dlp or lcd! I give up!

jcorpe
01-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm with you Dirtystimpy, except maybe for a slightly different reason. Everytime I go into Best Buy, I look at the screens and think "This is the wave of the future; all these fricken pixelated images???" If they're HD screens, why the hell are they showing normal signals on them. Jeez, I can't decide if I want one or not. If normal T.V. is going to look like crap, maybe I should wait until I can get my hands on a 360. Then I'll have some creative 'splanin to do for my wife about why we needed a new T.V.

Beamtracer
01-09-2006, 09:00 AM
In the end, the argument over HD-DVD Vs Blu-Ray is fruitless.

Both formats are dead in the water. They killed each other. Both groups failed to compromise to create a unified format.

The two formats are also so different to each other that it will not be easy or cost effective to build a player that can handle both formats.

Add to that the DRM fiasco.

Nobody in their right mind would buy either.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.