PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA and Dell Bring Quad SLI Power to Life

bohmanart
01-06-2006, 04:14 AM
This sure came from out of no where!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195

(didn't see this posted anywhere, sorry if it is)

DevilHacker
01-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Damn. Why Dell?
I could not think of a worse company when it comes to gaming PC's...
:argh:

chrisWhite
01-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Serous drool value there, so will we be able to put these on other machines besides Dell?
:drool:

Schwinnz
01-06-2006, 04:43 AM
"Sources say that it can heat a 25,000 cubic meter house at no additional cost"

Sorry, but that's just overkill... Abusive marketing at it again.

eek
01-06-2006, 04:52 AM
So 4 years ago i had a gforce 3 with 128 meg of ram i think - now you can link up 2 x 1 gig graphics card, bloody norah! So:

2 gig of ram + 2 gig of graphics + 2 processors! ... maybe i could save a little more.:D

eek

harmonic01
01-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Charles, you're so spoiled.:p 4 years ago I only had Diamond Vipere TNT with 16 megs of ram. :cry:

I guess I'll start saving. :drool:

Beamtracer
01-06-2006, 06:00 AM
"Sources say that it can heat a 25,000 cubic meter house at no additional cost"
Is that referring to the heat problems of some of Intel's chips? :rolleyes:

gent_k
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Beamtracer, don't you have enough MS threads open as it is to keep you busy for a while, or do you have to turn every thread to an anti-MS/anti-Intel debate?

leigh
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Holy crap that's AWESOME!!!

/inner geek

PaulHellard
01-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah, apparently they're going to switch over the lights in Vegas to be powered by a bank of Quad SLIs for a few minutes this Saturday, just to show off. :eek:

only kidding :buttrock:

I've posted a news item for further reading.

imashination
01-06-2006, 12:06 PM
WHAT!? PARDON? SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/engine.gif

UrbanFuturistic
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
WHAT!? PARDON? SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!Damn you, that was gonna be my joke :cry:

Wonder if it'll have to be weighted down with concrete like a washing machine... time to rob that bank :drool:

regards, Paul

krisr
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
So do you get 4 cards rendering onto one monitor? Didn't the dual card config do half your monitor with one card, the other half with the other card? So maybe this does the disply in 4 quads instead? I just wonder what the optimal setup would be to harness this much power. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

UrbanFuturistic
01-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I just wonder what the optimal setup would be to harness this much power. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.Next door to a nuclear power station I would imagine :p

Oh, and I thought they did alternating frames, I mean, wouldn't splitting up the image make display errors more likely?

confuzzled, Paul

spmonahan
01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Let's see. On newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143044) that 7800 costs $749 and you need two of them - that's $1498!! Good lord that's a lot of money for bragging rights.

kwshipman
01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Over kill? I would hardly call 400fps in UT2004 or Q3 over kill. lol

But in all seriousness, what we think of as "overkill" now, will be minimum requirements in a few short years. It may not be needed now, but it is a glimpse into the future.

CupOWonton
01-06-2006, 06:21 PM
The public demands recognisable benchmarks!

Mike.H
01-06-2006, 07:59 PM
neat looking for sure.

overkill perhaps, but then again in all honesty is there realy something called overkill when it comes to hardware? itīs all about what you can afford, sure thereīs not a single cpu out right now that can feed that puppy to itīs liking, but the gpu is on the other hand not out yet either and both intel and amd is bringing out new babyīs during the first spring, besides weīre are gpu bound in some cases.

So my opinion is, if someone wants it, itīs atleast an option now and better performing hardware is never wrong, altho i doubt that iīll pick it myself, thereīs alot of other hardware that makes more sense for me to pick up atm since im already using a 7800gtx in my home rig :)

Pavlovich
01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
"it's 3x as hot as the surface of the sun! the noise during start up will damage your hearing! it will cost $70 an hour to operate! dell is run by satan himself! intel too! and micro$oft owns satan!"

you're all just jealous. go back to your 1 GHZ macs and 15 inch LCD screens.

Elekko
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
5+ TFLOPS...! Mmm.... nice!

rizob
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
(insert attention whore comment here)
heh, if you guys watched the streaming ces demo, where they showed it all off,,,they were playing the game im working on (autoassault), when michael dell was presenting,,, was cool to see my stuff on the new dell 30" monitors and plasmas,, our game unlike most will run at any res your monitor can support,,man cant wait to get those quad sli's in the office,,,,heard ts gonna be like $4-6k,,,,btw,,the way that system is set up no,,the cards cant mirror monitors,,,but all of our existing cards can,,,,heh were goin backwards,,,
robb

UrbanFuturistic
01-07-2006, 02:22 PM
"it's 3x as hot as the surface of the sun! the noise during start up will damage your hearing! it will cost $70 an hour to operate! dell is run by satan himself! intel too! and micro$oft owns satan!"

you're all just jealous. go back to your 1 GHZ macs and 15 inch LCD screens.Error: Sense of humour failure in sector 762 :p

We're joking. JOKING! :bounce:

regards, Paul

TheNeverman
01-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed there's no power supply in that case???

kwshipman
01-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed there's no power supply in that case???

The Dell XPS that we use at school have the power supply on the bottom of the case. Even still, I don't see anything under the video cards, so unless it is the box on the right, you may be correct.

I think I understand where the motherboard is, though it seems small, but I can't figure out where the heatsink is.

bohmanart
01-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang says in this video that this machine compares to number 70 of the top 500 super-computers of the world, which sports a 250,000 watt PS so, I can't imagine how much juice this XPS 600 will need.

I had to play twice to make sure I heard him right! :eek:

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6020675.html?tag=ne.vid

Layer01
01-08-2006, 06:13 AM
wow, the thought of so much power.....:drool:

i wonder if you can get Quad SLI Boards etc outside of Dell, cause i'm not about to buy a Dell machine any time soon. whne i can build one of these myself then i'll look into it more seriously.

Would this be usable for 3d work i wonder? or would it only be good for games, i mean it seems to pack a mean punch and i'd imagine that even the latest quadro would have trouble beginning to top the quad SLI.

Lone Deranger
01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Would this be usable for 3d work i wonder? or would it only be good for games, i mean it seems to pack a mean punch and i'd imagine that even the latest quadro would have trouble beginning to top the quad SLI.

Yes.. as nice as this might be for gaming, what's really important is when SLI gets backing from developers such as SoftImage, Luxology, Maxon, etc.

Have there been any announcements yet in this area that anybody knows of? Actually, come to think of it, are any games supporting this yet?

SkinFullofHope
01-08-2006, 12:52 PM

While I was in the process of considering a new machine, I stumbled across this article (http://www.mcadonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=73) today. It basically echoes what I've read in various forums and that is the performance doesn't justify the price--if any performance gains--but then again, I guess it all depends on the app.

I looked at some benchmarks and it was hardly any difference in Maya and 3ds max. EnSight and Solid Works shows performance gains in SPEC Viewperf 8.1 (http://www.3dprofessor.com/review.asp?id=163), but the MCAD article (real world performance?) is implyin' otherwise.

I hope that future apps take advantage of this, and developers work closely with Nvidia, etc... Maybe we'll get more support for hardware rendering for Mental Ray and the other rendering champs.

sumpm1
01-09-2006, 02:17 AM
I'll start selling plasma for these babies. By the time I save up they'll have some more crap for me to buy. This is rediculous.

albedo4800hp
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh boy when will people finally stop to listen to stupid marketing speach of CEOs. What that Nvidia fellow talks is completely crap. Number 70 of Top500 Supercomputers yeah in your wet dreams maybe. This talk of 5tflops is so stupid since that is a highly theoretical number you will never ever reach with that card since it only would work if you have a single instruction executed on a single fragment without any scene setup, triangle setup or rasterization. If they would actually try to run the Lindpack measurement on that card (if they manage to port it which I doubt) which is one official test for the top500 I think it would probably reach a good place in the bottom 500. So don't believe that stupid hype. Actually 4x SLI is quite ridiculous as already 2x SLI and that you do not see any benefit in modelling applications is quite simple because this whole SLI thing has only a benefit when you are rasterization or fragment processing bound (because the whole system is pretty stupid, even SGI Infinite Reality Engine had a better rendering distribution system than what these guys from Nvidia / well or should I better say ex-3DFX came to). So what it basically parallizes is rasterization and fragment processing operations. Modelling application are 80-90% geometry processing bound and SLI will not help you at all it might get even worse in some cases since the data has to be copied down the cards twice (four times) now! But well I am sure enough people will buy it anyway just to get the highest 3dmark score out there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.