PDA

View Full Version : Game Animation Reel, Dan Lowe

Headless
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
EDIT - Links removed for mod PR reasons.

AlienFreak_09
01-06-2006, 02:04 AM
That is really cool. Nice Animation and Models. I liked the first person view, looked awsome.:thumbsup:

The Funimator
01-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Awesome game reel man! Keep it up! Only one comment,, the jumping may need more weight and impact. It did look too smooth for a high jump like that. Just my 2 cents. Cheers. :)
oh btw, how did u create that horse bones? Is that part of biped in character studio in max? If that so, can enlighten me a bit? Lately i feel like wan to animate a horse or any kind of animals too. hehe.. thanks. :)

Headless
01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Funimator: I'm going to add more impact to the fall and roll as other people have mentioned it too.

To get the horse bones like that, I made a horse model, positioned the standard biped bones inside it, then sliced the horse model into seperate mesh pieces to correspond with the bones. I then selected each biped bone, added an edit mesh modifier, deleted the existing biped mesh, and attached the relevant horse mesh piece. So long as you don't collapse the stack the mesh piece will continue to function as a working biped bone.

Doing it like this gives you a far better idea of how the animation will look when it's done, and helps you stop the model from intersecting itself. Also because each biped piece is seperate there's no deformation going on so you get real time feedback the same way you would with a standard biped. I do this with pretty much all the models I animate, so for example, here's the rig I was using to animate the consortium exo model...

http://danlowe.nuclear-dawn.net/stuff/NDBiped.jpg

Cheers.

Winner
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
on the whole pretty good. Try and get more hip rotation in your characters, i noticed that especially in the first animation. The horse is pretty cool. the jumps are ok, its the timing thats wrong, you need to speed up the falls, and add more of a `crunch` when he actually hits the ground.. add more up and down when hes running too.

unoffensive music.

this is pretty good man... keep at it. You just need more weight and `impact` in your animations. For example, the guy that shoots from behind the box, he's pretty well animated but the animation doesn't match his character that much. He needs to move more `viciously`, with more speed and determination, he needs to feel dangerous... at the moment he moves realisticaly ( the squat pose is nice and strong ) but he looks like hes casually shooting squirrels on a golf course ;) try and get his feet moving around a bit too ( but of course make sure you bring them back for the cycle ). Same with the zombie guy, i can see you were going for a subtle `dead` and mindless kind of movement, but that doesnt instantly mean not moving him much - get his body overlapping and bring him down harder when he takes a step ( like he cant support his own weight that well ), get a broad movement with a dangling arm or something, or totally overlap his head so its just rolling past what his torso does. You have to remember with games that its good to get as much movement as possible, a lot of the time characters can be pretty small on screen and seen from a distance, so the player still needs to see and `feel` the animation even from far away.

Headless
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Cheers, that's great crit.

I'm going back over some of the animations and making tweaks. One of the things I did notice is that i'd animated a lot of the clips at 30fps and yet the Premiere sequence is running at 25fps, which might account for why some of the animations seem too slow or lack purpose.

I'll post an update in a day or two when hopefully alot of stuff will look a bit better.

Winner
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
look forward to it.

rvallet
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Sweet animation... I especially like the first person viewing part where he is reloading the gun. Very nice horse run cycle. Regarding the human walk and run cycle, I feel there could be more hip movement to show better weight shift.

raelbr
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Your animation is pretty fine! Itīs just the timming that bothers me.... but if itīs the premiereīs frame rate the problem...!

Cheers

Headless
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Here's the updated video. I edited the links in the first post so they point to these files too.

High Quality (768x576) [ .mov 27.5mb ] (recommended)
Quicktime Movie (http://danlowe.nuclear-dawn.net/danlowereel.mov) (right click -> save as)

Medium Quality (480x360) [ .mov 15.9mb ]
Quicktime Movie (http://danlowe.nuclear-dawn.net/danlowereel_small.mov) (right click -> save as)

Things i've changed in this version...

* Re-edited the reel so that everything is now running at the correct 30fps that it was animated at.
* Tweaked the 'walk with pistol' animation to get rid of a slight skip at the loop point.
* Tweaked the 'get up - shoot - cover' animation to stop the rifle clipping through the wall when the guy gets up.
* Changed the resolution to a correct 4:3 aspect ratio.
* Edited the sound to match the new reel length

I'm gonna start on more serious animation changes now. Just thought I should get the correct framerate sorted out asap.

Cheers.

The Funimator
01-09-2006, 01:38 AM
hey Dan, thanks for the info on the biped thing. That's an interesting way. :)
I will try it out someday soon and hope i could ask u further questions when i do have in the future. :)
thanks again man. wish u all the best in game animation. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.