PDA

View Full Version : Metallic flakes inside of material

davidfro
01-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm trying to achieve the same type of look that you see on some cars if you look into their paint. You can kind of see these metallic flake reflections and they're not just on the surface either, they seem to be inside of the car, kind of like a hologram almost. Does anyone know how to recreate this effect within maya? I've done some searching, and I don't think anyone else has posted anything on how to achieve this effect.

Davido Hyer

Kabab
01-06-2006, 12:42 AM
A layered shader with the leather texture in the specular of your base coat works well..

Or you can try the new paint shader in Maya 7.

vaio
01-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi David ! mental ray has a good metallic shader you can change the flakes size by default
you can use this as basic for a custom shading network play around and have fun !

ronny

vintagetone
01-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Guys, maybe you can help, but I just gave up on the Mental Ray Car Paint Phen, I could not get the reflections and highlights I needed on it, but I've seen people use it to great effect. I would love to see a good shallac paint shader that reflects well for Mental Ray that works right out of the box.

vaio
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
i play around with the "Mental Ray Car Paint Phen" and i think most important is lighting, the scale and reflection ( i use 100%) of the flakes.

i use hdri sphere with two spotlight.

ronny

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.