PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart to Host Oscars

jeremybirn
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - As the clock ticks ever closer to the 78th Annual Academy Awards on March 5, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has finally found a host in Jon Stewart.

Sources confirmed Stewart's selection, which was reported Wednesday evening by the Los Angeles Times' Oscar watch site, http://theenvelope.latimes.com. An Academy spokesman declined comment.

The assignment would represent the first Oscar-hosting spot for Stewart, who headlines Comedy Central's ``The Daily Show.'' Stewart does have black-tie experience, though, having hosted the Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002.

Oscarcast producer Gil Cates' choice of a host had become the subject of mounting suspense in Hollywood. Chris Rock, last year's host, was not asked to reprise the role. Reportedly, Billy Crystal, who has hosted eight times, turned down the honor. Speculation also had centered on such other previous hosts as Whoopi Goldberg and Steve Martin.

- source (http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/movies/entertainment-oscars.html?hp&ex=1136523600&en=750baa5ad36896a0&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

paperclip
01-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Did they choose the nominees yet?

Capel
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
ok, now that's just awesome. i love Jon Stewart. He can take any bad interview and turn it into pure gold. it's crazy. should be a fun time!

MitchVFX
01-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm all for "fake" Oscars. WTG, Jon! :thumbsup:

mummey
01-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Well... they certainly could do ALOT worse...

CupOWonton
01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
The Oscars are sure to be funny with him at the reigns. I still love watching the recording of John Stewart on Crossfire. It's amazing to see a "Fake" newscaster tear down a show and doom it to being removed from the network in under an hour. He also made great points, which still go ignored by popular media.

rblitz7
01-05-2006, 07:08 PM
yeah, Jon Stewart would make a great host. Im looking foward to it.:)

EpShot
01-06-2006, 01:20 AM
well, maybe i will watch it then.

SpiralFace
01-06-2006, 01:31 AM
"Have you ever watched the Oscars?"

"Have you ever watched the Oscars.....ON WEED!"

Should be a fun watch. koodos to him.

cJaynes
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Yup, John Stewart is going to be great. Way better then Chris Rock!

kmest
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
way better than woopi goldberg and Chris rock but i dont think he can be as funny as steve martin and billy christal.....

MuseSyndrome
01-07-2006, 04:15 AM
The Oscars are sure to be funny with him at the reigns. I still love watching the recording of John Stewart on Crossfire. It's amazing to see a "Fake" newscaster tear down a show and doom it to being removed from the network in under an hour. He also made great points, which still go ignored by popular media.

Hehehe...:D

STEWART: How old are you?

CARLSON: Thirty-five.

STEWART: And you wear a bow tie.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

CARLSON: Yes, I do. I do.

STEWART: So this is...

CARLSON: I know. I know. I know. You're a...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: So this is theater.

CARLSON: Now, let me just...

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: Now, come on.

STEWART: Now, listen, I'm not suggesting that you're not a smart guy, because those are not easy to tie.

Alice
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I had a wee bit of a problem since i didnt know who Jon Stewart was, so I IMDB:ed him and found such memorable roles as:
The Office Party (2000) .... Pizza Guy
Half Baked (1998) .... Enhancement Smoker
Committed (2000) (uncredited) .... Birthday Party Guest

Then it all became clear to me, ofcause it was the pizza guy from "office party"!
Now... is there something special this guy has made in just USA to make people know instantly who he is?

baby
01-08-2006, 11:24 AM
as they give it to Wallace & Gromit I don't care who hosts :)

umfridus
01-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I saw him for the first time in last year's Emmy's, and instantly became a fan. Too bad there's no way to catch The Daily Show here.

jeremybirn
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Now... is there something special this guy has made in just USA to make people know instantly who he is?

He's a famous television personality. See if you can rent some DVD's of "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central. They have some DVD's of his coverage of the Democratic and Republican national conventions from the last elections. He doesn't just tell jokes, he plays video clips of things politicians actually say, then reacts to them (or doesn't react.) He basically plays a "fake" newscaster, but often has real BS-cutting things to say that aren't said on the "real" news channels that he makes fun of.

He was once a guest on CNN's show Crossfire, they were hoping he'd just tell jokes, but instead when he appeared on the show he pointed out that its two hosts were just partisan hacks shouting at eachother for no reason - the hosts and the audience later agreed and CNN's show was cancelled following his appearance. Here's a clip:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12

He also wrote a best-selling book called "America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction" which is a spoof of an american school textbook from social studies or civics classes.

-jeremy

beaker
01-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I actually find the Daily Show better at telling the news these days then any of the actual real news shows. They cut through the BS and make you laugh while doing it.

"This Week In God" segment of the show is the best one of them all.

MuseSyndrome
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I actually find the Daily Show better at telling the news these days then any of the actual real news shows. They cut through the BS and make you laugh while doing it.

"This Week In God" segment of the show is the best one of them all.

Heh, so true about TDS being a better news source. You gotta love it when play back an old news clip which completely contradicts what has just been said, and when they expose how much BS is fed to the public with one of Jon's short and sweet remarks. You don't see this happening much in traditional news (unfortunately).

I wish they got Stephen back for This Week In God. Somehow Rob just doesn't cut it as his replacement. Maybe it's just his style which doesn't suit the role, maybe it's just that I'm used to Stephen slamming down the God Machine :). And the new correspondants need a bit of work too, they sound a bit too forced and bland. I suppose I should cut them some slack though, maybe they'll turn out as smooth as the "oldies" after a year or two.

Here's a page (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Daily_Show) I read while I'm waiting for renders. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.