PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Floor Vision

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Nintendo recently pattented floor vision, they also used this projecter type interactive thingy in there e3 booth, its really cool but i think it may be a bit expensive for the revolution.

http://nintendonow.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=4&m_articles_articleid=3325&PHPSESSID=48368a62db1e541dccff67

the cool video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6185946983584477029&q=NINTENDO+E3

HappyCookie
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Erm, it may just be me, but I can't access the video...

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Erm, it may just be me, but I can't access the video...

hmm i can still see it.

Boxsmiley
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
:buttrock: WOW!!! Now that is truly awesome...i hope Nintendo can bring something like that to the market, not in this next gen because of price i'm sure,...but who knows maybe they are working on a way to make it cheap and inexpensive for the consumer. I hate when i drool on my shirt...

HappyCookie
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Currently, the playback feature of Google Video isn't available in your country.

Thank you Google :/

enygma
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Didn't the Metreon in San Francisco have something similar? I remember seeing something like that there during GDC.

EDIT: The one at the Metreon wasn't using a projector, but still was interactive.

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Didn't the Metreon in San Francisco have something similar? I remember seeing something like that there during GDC.

EDIT: The one at the Metreon wasn't using a projector, but still was interactive.

how did it work, was it like a giant screen?

CupOWonton
01-05-2006, 03:47 PM
There were interactive floor displays at SamGoody... This isnt realy new, its just new for Nintendo.

HappyCookie
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
In case I'm not the only one that can't use the Google Video thing, here's another link to the same video : http://www.wimp.com/floor/

enygma
01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
how did it work, was it like a giant screen?
It looked like a big floor mat that was animated and responded to pressure.

In one case, it was water and wherever you stepped had ripples.

In another case, it was like a foot version of pong/air hockey. A ball would go back and forth and you use your foot to launch the ball to the other end of the arena in an attempt to get it in the net. 2 people could be playing this at once.

I believe I also saw this mat in another mall in Allentown, PA when I was out there for my mothers wedding.

CupOWonton
01-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Its a matte taped to the ground, and a projector with a video sensor aiming strait down at it.
*notice the projection showing up on his legs and hands*
The sensor picks up on the specific movement, and the computer +projector react and update the scene realtime.
Like I said, its old stuff. SamGoody was using an interactive matte to promote itself durring the holidays. Its just new for NINTENDO.

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Like I said, its old stuff. SamGoody was using an interactive matte to promote itself durring the holidays. Its just new for NINTENDO.

you may well be right, nintendo dosnt normally invent the technology that they work with, they normaly use existing technology or almost new technology, to enhance gameplay, for example if you have a look at the ds, it has , touch screen technology, voice recognition, and duel screens, none of which are a new in anyway, but when brought together for the purpose of gaming, they produce something very beautiful indeed. I wonder were they got the inspiration for the rumble pack......

by the way can anybody tell me how audio visulazations work, for example the ones on windows media player or winamp, a step by step break down will be nice :thumbsup:

heavyness
01-05-2006, 06:33 PM
its old tech [not to old] but maybe nintendo patented for use with a game system.

if that is the case, i can think of a lot of cool games to play with that.

the DDR community will happy for this!

chrisWhite
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
That's really cool, Nintendo seams to be gunning for an extremely immersive experience here. I wonder if you could use the VR technology with this, that would be interesting.

enygma
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
by the way can anybody tell me how audio visulazations work, for example the ones on windows media player or winamp, a step by step break down will be nice :thumbsup:
Not terribly difficult. You get the incoming waveform, it is then analyzed at various frequencies, and the intensity of each frequency is displayed in its respective bar or location in the analyzer.

I believe you can find the intensity of the wave at a certain frequency by running a bandpass on it at that frequency.

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Not terribly difficult. You get the incoming waveform, it is then analyzed at various frequencies, and the intensity of each frequency is displayed in its respective bar or location in the analyzer.

I believe you can find the intensity of the wave at a certain frequency by running a bandpass on it at that frequency.

thank you my friend, i guess it is similar to how a spectrogram works?

enygma
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, they are generally called spectrum analyzers. You can do what you want with the information in each frequency band... like apply them to neat graphical effects.

laureato di arte
01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
nice thanx enygma,

this floor thing would really enhance gaming in the future, can you imagine playing a game of fishing with that and the revo controller, or, imagine how it would be to fall from space.

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.