PDA

View Full Version : Animation Short by Lars Bonde

MasonicInc
01-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Hey all,

Seems like I will follow up on the last couple of days posts by VFS students and submit my own demo reel from VFS.

Any comments are welcome, I might just touch up my work with some of the suggestions.

http://student.vfs.com/~3d54lars/Bullitt-Jr-CGTalk.jpg

Bullitt Jr. download (http://student.vfs.com/~3d54lars/Bullitt_Jr.-By_Lars_Bonde-3d54lars@vfs.com.mov) (14MB Quicktime)

Software used:
Photoshop CS
After Effects 6.5
Premiere Pro
Soundforge 6 and 8
Softimage XSI 4.2 - most of the modeling and all the animation
Maya - modeling the car

AlbertArt
01-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice, this looks really cool. Kinda looks inspired by Sin City. Do you mind giving some details on the animation?

nice work :thumbsup:

andrebranco
01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Lars, The Great Dane! :thumbsup:

I was surprised by the style. I was expecting something different, some other style. I was amazed. Don't texture it.

Take care.

Andre

Intervain
01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
:wavey: Awesome!
So nice to see friends here!
This is the first time I've seen the thing in one piece and I love it Lars [honestly too]
You go, I don't think you'll be having problems getting into that Gaming industry m8.

Great job and good luck.:thumbsup:

Sherif.Nagib
01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
sweeeeet :beer:

BlastPhemy
01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Man i liked this.. I wish you would have made it longer though.. Great job :applause:

Suryawanshi
01-06-2006, 11:53 AM
hey there...even I wished it was little longer than this...it was fun to watch...
but i just did not get where or wot did the second guy shoot at...cause the hero fell down but he was not hurt...was it his gun that was shot ? and if so...it was not clear :)
but it was fun to watch all the action man...gr8 :)
Sachin S. Suryawanshi

rvallet
01-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Lars... your animation turned out great. Great pacing, great cinematography and great animation. I like the black and white style :)

lostPin
01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Man, this rocks! It's almost live action;). The editing is great too, really pumps up the tension. I would only add the wound from the shot in the shoulder. Anyway, nice work!

EternalArt
01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Great animation lol .. what the software you uesd ..

blz
01-07-2006, 02:45 AM
good one
i like it

MasonicInc
01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
First of thanks everybody for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the encouragement Magda and nice to hear from you Andre, hope things are well?

So let me see, some response to a couple of questions!

AlbertArt, thanks I had some inspiration from Sin City, so thanks for noticing, but I wish I had a little more time, to yes, MAKE IT LONGER :) and also to ad some colour to it like in Sin City.

Your question regarding giving some details on the animation is a very broad question, but here goes:

I usually animate straight ahead, especially in action sequences I find it easier to approach it this way instead of pose to pose. I have an animatic in 3d with rough camera cuts and very simple animation.
I do a rough first pass to get a feel for the timing and the main actions that will happen. This is not to say I don’t actually go back and sometimes change something dramatically.
Once I am happy with the basic timing and how smooth it feels in linear, then I turn it to spline and tweak the hell out of it till I get it to something like 75-85%.
From there I usually go on to other shots except for my first shot jumping out of the window, I took that as far as I could right away, just to test my character and its limits. This way I would see if there are any main problems with the weighting and such.
Here I got to ad that I did everything in the piece myself.
But usually I would leave the shots at 75-85% and finish the rest to get a feel for the entire piece. From there I would then go back and address the most important shots to finish them off completely and leave some time to finish the smaller shots at the end.

I don't really know if this is what you meant, but I hope it was :)

Sachin S. Suryawanshi, well I see what you are saying. The first shot hits the my main guys in the shoulder, therefore he falls to the ground, the second shot misses when my main guy rolls to the side to grab his gun again, but I should have added a ricochet of some sort to make it more clear, thanks!

chikos, you are soo right, I had plans to add the wound in the shoulder, but never really had time to ad it. I wasn't really sure how to approach it since the rest of the piece is so clean and as you know not textured at all. But maybe I will add a patch of different colour to make it look like at wound, thanks man... Ohh and thanks for noticing the editing, one of my main focuses.

Roland also thanks to you for the comments, "great cinematography" was my goal. Thanks

Eternal Art, to answer your question of software used; the standard things like Photoshop CS, After Effects 6.5, Premiere Pro, Soundforge 6 and 8 and for the 3d part of it, I did most in Softimage XSI 4.2 but the car is modeled in Maya.

Thanks again guys and I would like to make it longer, but my demo reel contains other stuff that I have done to, like a couple of commercials and some other stuff that I have done.

MasonicInc
01-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys for viewing and keeping the post interesting, it got me on the front page of the 10 Second Club: http://10secondclub.net/index.php

BrandonDude
01-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice work Lars....
u got the action, u got the music and you got the bit...
:buttrock:

amalitsa
01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
it is amazing!!the music, the animation, the sounds....great piece!! it looks so great in black and white and with no textures...congrats!!!

M_Fonseca
01-15-2006, 09:24 PM
:eek: That's intesnse man... u did a wicked job in everything man.. ^^.. i really enjoyed the animation and the cinematography.. and the black and white style... definately cool.. :thumbsup:

polybuilder
01-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I looked at your work.. that was excellent. Great bit of action, just like a movie, greate scene!

Cinimod
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey Lars,

Great work man, it turned out great! All the animation is so smooth and crisp; everything was timed well too :thumbsup: It's a shame it couldn't be... longer, lol (just kickin u while ur down) :p mabe a short film in the future?

Good luck with everything man!

shraga
01-18-2006, 03:26 AM
Yo Lars-

I really liked how this turned out. What struck me most is the timing and framing of the shots. It feels like a well coreographed action scene. It's also nice to see realistic animation - that must be very hard to do especialy with human characters. very nice!

Congrats, good luck - and drop me a line some time..

Shraga

MasonicInc
01-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks once again guys...

Dom you said it.... longer, I know... Oh well, now I would love to do more but hopefully a job pops up instead...

pepelepuke
02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Lars what can i say ? your cinematic kick ass and the animation too...i love it..
thumbs up

tylerdurden369
02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Link is down… :sad:

MasonicInc
02-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I've checked the link and nothing seems wrong with it, if you just click it it takes a little while to load the quicktime, but if you right click and select "save target as" then you can download it to directly. I guess sometimes the server can be down for a few moments, but please just check back and try again!

Thanks

aestheta
03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
His name was Lars, Lars Bonde... Your demo reel suits you so well, and turned out really great!! The animation kicks ass, and the style works really well. Congratulations on your masterpiece! It's super duper! You are such an awesome guy and I'm so glad I got to know you. You have to stay in touch man! Good luck on the job hunt.

much love,

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.