PDA

View Full Version : Animation for critique

dominicqwek
11-27-2002, 05:07 PM
I've done up a 40sec animation sequence. It comprises of 2 characters. Its something i've been working on for sometime, but really havent got to finishing it. Now that its done, do give some comments on the animation.

Im planning to put this piece on my demoreel, do u think i should texture them? Or should i just stick to this piece?

I'll be adding shadows as well as facial animation.

Animation Seq (1.7M/ Divx) (http://www.geocities.com/dominicqwek/demontestgi.avi)

Grayscale
11-27-2002, 05:41 PM
Hey Dom,
I critiqued it in the WIP folder. I was going to tell you to move it here, but, obviously there is no need. Good job.

Rogue
11-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Dom,

It's animated very well overall. There are some thing's that stick out to me. His eyes! They don't blink nor move. If they do move, I can't tell it. That will give him some life.

That move he does after he gets hit the second time...it's kind of funny, but I don't really get that sense of, "I can relate to that". It's sort of this crazy motion that I can't really follow. Do you understand what I'm saying about that? It's kind of hard to explain.

It would be nice to see some anticipation before he leaps back when he see the, uhmm, little thing. I think it would make the jump back have a little more energy.

At the part where he's got his hands over his eyes, there's a rotation of his torso backwards, then forwards that looks a little floaty.

There's a few parts in there that I thought might be a little slow, but watching it the second time, I didn't get that impression. So don't worry about that. I just thought I'd mention it.

It's a good animation! It shows weight good and reads well. The main thing is the eyes and that weird move he does. The rest is just nit picky stuff.

You don't have to texture them if you're applying for an character animator position, but it may help a little with some eye candy.

Good work.

dominicqwek
11-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the comments rogue. When the facial animation comes in, he'll start blinking. I've been getting the same feeedback regarding that sudden motion. It was meant to show irritation and frsutration, do u have any suggestions on how to improve it?

Texturing is one of my worst fears, i dun have any 3rd party software to ease the uvw mapping part. I would really want to see this guy textured though! :D

Really appreciate it! Btw, i saw your 10 sec piece, nice!

Rogue
11-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Awww, ok, no facial animation. That would explain it. Can't wait to see it when that's done.

As for the sudden move, I'm not sure what to do to improve that. I thought it was a 'freaking out' kind of an action instead of a frustrated one. If it were me, I'd try something like you did at the end to show frustration. After getting hit in the back of the head again, have him bend over and shake his fists. Really bend him over, as if he were looking straight at the ground.

Maybe something like that..

I'm not very good with texturing either. I can do simple texturing, but nothing like some of these guys around here can do.

Thanks about the 10second club clip. I was moderately happy with it when I submitted it, now (especially after seeing some of the other clips), I'm not as happy with. But, the reason I joined was to get better. :)

dominicqwek
11-28-2002, 05:36 PM
I'd be joining the next round. Havent got a character to do lip sync with, just wanna check, do they give a dialogue to play ard with each time? If so, i'd better start working on something!

Notice that the animation forum is a tad bit quite dont u think so? The other forums seem to get more attention, there's a lot of cool renderings out there but not as much animation.

Just my 2 cents

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.